PDA

View Full Version : Please Close Door

Outerside
06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Ok, I know people are going kick and scream at me but hear me out.
I was getting the message "please close cover" many times in the pass. I bought new switch and in a month's time I got the messages again. So I decide (ok you can start screaming now) to short the two switch and it has been running fine for over 4 months. Guess what it's back. The only idea I can come up with is the brushes are about 1/4 inch give or take. So I ordered some new ones.
So my question is (besides my rewiring job) is 1/4 inch making the motor stop causing the "please close cover" message?

Digitalwoodshop
06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Well, We are all adults and I won't say anything more about bypassing the left switch other than I don't recommend it. With that being said...

With the switch wires shorted.... Things that can make you get the Open Cover.....

1. The wires are loose at your point of fastening them together.

2. The other end of the wire plugs into the circuit board in the back of the machine and it can come loose....

3. IF the plug was removed and installed and now you have the open cover, know that the plug can be forced on 180 degrees out... When properly installed the white wire in bunch should be close to the center of the machine.

4. When you have a Open Cover use Options and look at Sensor Data and board sensor data and Z Data.... IF they won't change then you likely have a SHORT CIRCUIT pinched wire in the board sensor circuit.... When I had the shorted or pinched wire problem on 2 of my 4 machines I also had a zero board sensor even with white paper AND the Z Data was 0000 and moving the Z no change....

Both board sensor problems were caused by ME pulling down the slack in the 4 wire board sensor cable causing it to slide along the sharp edge of the cable track and cut into the wires.

See Pictures... IF you suspect the wires you can pull the plug seen in the last picture with the power off and try again... IF the Close Cover problem is fixed you found the problem... The FIX.... Removing the Y Truck... OR a temp fix... Do the Butt Floss Trick and remove the board sensor and tug the cable from above freeing the pinch.... hence butt floss... It can give you a temp fix until the wire touches again...

AL

Outerside
06-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Ok I'll check the wires your showing.

What happens is when that message shows up of coarse everything stops and seems to always stop on the right side (with keypad left side). I hit enter it well make 2 to 3 passes and stop again without doing anything eles. So I was thinking short somewhere but would of never thought to check z motor wires out.

Digitalwoodshop
06-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Since you mentioned that...

Check the routing of the left side wires and see if by chance when the head is over to the right side the FSC cable is pulling on the left side wires...

AND look close on the FSC Cable when the cover is OFF the top.... Sometimes the FSC Cable is installed a little SHORT on the TOP and when the head is all the way over to the Bit Plate the FSC Cable is TAUNT like a dog chain.... Eventually it pulls the jack on the Z and can 1. Cause a Short... or 2. RIP the cable causing a short...

The last machine I bought I worked with the guy for a while and he finally gave up.... He had installed the 2nd FSC Cable TOO Short... when the head went to the Bit Plate it ripped the cable AGAIN.... I asked him to check it again but he gave up... Sold me the machine.... Had it running in 2 min.... Installed it the correct length on top.

And the reason the Z does not indicate the pulses on the encoder is that the Short Circuit of the FSC Cable OR the Board Sensor takes out the 5 volts DC and that is the power for the Close cover Switch AND many other things like the Z Encoder... It will read 0000 until you move it... 0001, 0002, 0003......

AL

Outerside
06-27-2013, 05:43 PM
I'll try the FSC Cable. I have been trying to troubleshoot it but know it measures, insert bit, checks depth, and then it moves all the way to the right plunges down about 1/8 goes to the left plunges down deeper then the z motor stops and it moves the bit up and "Please close cover" and that is as far as it goes.

Outerside
07-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Added new wires still don't work. I have only used this machine for 247hrs and so far I had to replace switches, wires, y motor, belts and other small things. It seems every time I use the machine for a project I have to fix something on it. By the time it hits 500hr I'll have a new machine. Hmm I have machines that I have used for ten years plus that still run and cost lest than this machine ... interesting!!!

So here is the problem I'm still having:
Starts project by measures, insert bit, checks depth, and then it moves all the way to the right plunges down about 1/8 goes to the left plunges down deeper then the z motor stops and it moves the bit up and "Please close cover" and that is as far as it goes.

lynnfrwd
07-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Don't know about message, but is there a hole in your board tracker? Old style? Is it on the keypad side that you are getting the error?

Outerside
07-28-2013, 10:28 AM
I have a CompuCarve Rev B. I had the error on both sides of the broad.

Don't know about message, but is there a hole in your board tracker? Old style? Is it on the keypad side that you are getting the error?

lynnfrwd
07-28-2013, 10:47 AM
QC, carvetight or rock chuck spindle?

Digitalwoodshop
07-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Two things.,..

1. The Close Cover issue can be coming from the Board Sensor Cable being pinched like I posted above. UN Plugging the top connector of the board sensor could STOP you from getting the close cover error... Then you will need to address the pinched wire if that stops the close cover error.

2. Like posted above... LOOK at the plastic holder for the BRASS ROLLER... IF you have a HOLE in it... The bit will pass through the HOLE and fault out... A piece of Credit Card glued to the Brass Roller holder will fix it...

And the reason the hole gets drilled in the Brass Roller holder is that your Cut Motor Brushes are or WERE worn and at Bit Change the Cut Motor spins UP and was STILL coasting to a stop when the bit went down to touch the Brass Roller Holder and Drilled THROUGH it.. Being in tune with your machine and KNOWING to lift the cover stopping the machine AFTER Bit Change Spin Up and letting the Cut Motor STOP moving. Then press enter and let it check the brass roller plate.

So at 400 hours... You will need to replace the 2 bearings in the Y Gear Box as PREVENTIVE maintenance before the bearings go bad and wear the shaft of the Y Gear box and then you will need to buy another gear.... The Prevent Part is replacing the 2 bearings that will be worn at 450 hours saving the shaft and gear.

You have 2 problems and until you address both it won't be fixed.

AL

Outerside
07-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Both board sensor cable and ffc cable been replaced. Y motor been replaced after 240 hrs. Nothing wrong with the brass roller plate. The only other thing is the z motor needs replaced. Interesting I have this laser machine that has not had a problem in five years. The only thing I had to replace is the tube for $200 and last 1200hrs plus. Buy this carvewright machine for $1500, 11 piece bit set $399.99, (5) 1/16" carving bit for $39.99, centerline text for $100, scanning probe $299.99, board sensor cable $5.00, ffc cable - 14 Pin $10.00, Y motor mount assembly $89.95 and now a Z motor mount assembly $100.00.
AND YOU GET ALL THIS FOR ONLY $2704.88 FOR ONLY 240HRS OF WORK WHAT A DEAL!!!!!
And some one asked if I have the carvetight spindle why do you have to replace that in 140hrs of use?

Two things.,..

1. The Close Cover issue can be coming from the Board Sensor Cable being pinched like I posted above. UN Plugging the top connector of the board sensor could STOP you from getting the close cover error... Then you will need to address the pinched wire if that stops the close cover error.

2. Like posted above... LOOK at the plastic holder for the BRASS ROLLER... IF you have a HOLE in it... The bit will pass through the HOLE and fault out... A piece of Credit Card glued to the Brass Roller holder will fix it...

And the reason the hole gets drilled in the Brass Roller holder is that your Cut Motor Brushes are or WERE worn and at Bit Change the Cut Motor spins UP and was STILL coasting to a stop when the bit went down to touch the Brass Roller Holder and Drilled THROUGH it.. Being in tune with your machine and KNOWING to lift the cover stopping the machine AFTER Bit Change Spin Up and letting the Cut Motor STOP moving. Then press enter and let it check the brass roller plate.

So at 400 hours... You will need to replace the 2 bearings in the Y Gear Box as PREVENTIVE maintenance before the bearings go bad and wear the shaft of the Y Gear box and then you will need to buy another gear.... The Prevent Part is replacing the 2 bearings that will be worn at 450 hours saving the shaft and gear.

You have 2 problems and until you address both it won't be fixed.

AL