PDA

View Full Version : Split Image Double Sided Sign

carrothers
06-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks to Dick B and Alan at the Pattern Shop for all of their help they provided me in teaching me how to split the image and upgrading the pattern. The finished sign (which I did pro bono for the local Farmers Market Committee) is 28 inches wide and 48 inches tall. I used inch and a half cypress without any knots and biscuited the two pieces together. The Committee volunteers did the painting. 62858

lawrence
06-11-2013, 11:20 PM
very nice sign- both the carve you did and the paint job the volunteers did are very high quality.

Lawrence

ladjr
06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Beautiful sign. Great job splitting it looks like one board.

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

SharonB
06-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Congratulations on a sign well done.

TerryT
06-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Well done. That is a beautiful sign.

rcdages
06-12-2013, 07:45 AM
carrothers,

Outstanding job on the sign.

henry1
06-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks to Dick B and Alan at the Pattern Shop for all of their help they provided me in teaching me how to split the image and upgrading the pattern. The finished sign (which I did pro bono for the local Farmers Market Committee) is 28 inches wide and 48 inches tall. I used inch and a half cypress without any knots and biscuited the two pieces together. The Committee volunteers did the painting. 62858
I will have to remember these guys Bud showed me one time and now I forget part of growing old lol I have to make one myself soon ,,that is nice

Smoken D
06-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Fantastic sign, it really came out nice!

DickB
06-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Looks good!

peep
06-12-2013, 09:31 AM
May I ask, was everything carved from board up, or did you carve the fruit and applicate, then glue them on the board?

carrothers
06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Great question...on the side that I took the photograph the town logo was carved separately and glued on. This was to cover up a screw up when I split the image the first time and did not get the circle perfectly round. Rather than throw the good wood away and start over, I carved the round logo slightly larger and just glued it over the bad non oval one. When it came to carving the back side I corrected the mistake and the round logo is carved into the sign board. Several folks have commented on they like the raised side better. I was showing it to a professional sign maker today and he made an excellent comment about using paints that are much brighter for outside signs; rather than the muted colors that the volunteers chose. He said when you're traveling down the highway the brighter colors catch your eye a lot better. Live and learn they say.

carrothers
08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Everything was carved into or out of the carve region but because it was double sided and the logo for the City got screwed up on the "back side" on one of the two boards...I carved another City logo and glued it on the backside and I think it looks better than carving it into the wood as the original called for....nobody has even noticed it unless I point it out as hardly anyone goes from the front of the sign to the back of the sign and looks at it that critical.

zan29
08-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Very very nice work!

Digitalwoodshop
08-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Applied Signs really POP.... And can be done on the CW...

Nice Work !!!!

AL