PDA

View Full Version : Z truck will not move with power off

gwizpro
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi,

The Z Truck will not move AT ALL left to right along the rail when power is off and the machine is unplugged.
When I say it will not move, it is as if the drive motor is frozen...

ALTHOUGH, It does move when doing a project.. It works then...

I also noticed when it does move across to the bit plate that it doesnt go smoothly and acts like it is hesitating a lil.

I checked the bearings and they move freely when I disconnected the truck from the rail. Tension is also fine.

Could the drive motor be going bad....????.

This is a C Machine

Thanks
Tom

bergerud
06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
It could be that the y gear bearings are gone in the motor pack and the sprocket is being pulled by the belt into the machine casing. Al has a picture of that. It is easy to see if you look at the space between the white sprocket and the casing slot. Or, release the y belt tension and see how much play there is in the sprocket bearings. How many hours on the y motor pack?

fwharris
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
I agree with Dan, it is probably in the Y gear drive and motor.

chief2007
06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes y gear bearings, I just changed out the bearings today in one of my machines. It was doing the same as yours.

Digitalwoodshop
06-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Classic Y Gear Box bearings shot and more than likely the big Y Gear Shaft is worn thin and needs replacement. The key is trying to manually move the Y Truck you pull the big plastic gear over tighter to the U Shaped frame slot. This friction is one of the reasons... But I also think Y Roller Rail Bearings are frozen too.

AL

gwizpro
06-12-2013, 07:49 AM

Well, here is the culprit. Bearings just fell apart....
Thanks for the Help guys.
Tom

gwizpro
06-12-2013, 07:54 AM
ALSO, I went to the parts breakdown to try and order the bearing. Couldn't find it.
If I call LHR will they sell me just the bearing???? Too early here to call now...
Thanks

henry1
06-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi,

The Z Truck will not move AT ALL left to right along the rail when power is off and the machine is unplugged.

I also noticed when it does move across to the bit plate that it doesnt go smoothly and acts like it is hesitating a lil.

I checked the bearings and they move freely when I disconnected the truck from the rail. Tension is also fine.

This is a C Machine

Thanks
Tom
wow for a C machine you must of been carving a lot // and LHR you will have to buy the whole thing gear box and all or go here and order them here
http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html much cheaper I think you mean the Y motor left to right

gwizpro
06-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Henry1, Just got off phone with LHR, and they said they have the bearing, it is $5.00. I see from your link that the bearing is $5.00 plus about $4.00 for shipping. A Deal, Thanks

henry1
06-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi,

This is a C Machine

Thanks
Tom
If you go look they are $1 dollar apiece plus shipping and LHR charge 12 to ship ,,,,,,,,

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2013, 02:38 PM
You will want to look and possibly measure the SHAFT at the area right next to the big gear as when the bearings fail and jam, the Shaft Slides on the inner bearing race. IT wears it down..... SO even with a NEW set.... There are 2.... The OLD Worn Shaft will still be tilted... LHR sells the Shaft and Gear as a Replacement Part. Here is a very old parts order 8/2011 with prices that have gone up. It was the last time I ordered parts...

And plan to change the 2 inner Y Gear box bearings EVERY 250 Cut Motor Hours.... The Y takes the MOST Abuse.... You will be happy to FEEL the Difference with the new bearings installed every 250 hours...

Plan to change the CUT MOTOR Brushes TOO at 250 hours.... Try to get it all on one order..... And it is good to have some Roller Rail Bearings too in Stock.... and Screws.... Everyone complains about shipping.... The trick is to order the other stuff to SAVE.... Yes, I know not everyone can Stock Pile PARTS... But if you can.... It will save on down time.... Having a FLEX Assembly and Board Sensor too... is like Martha Stewart would say.... "A Good Thing"

And lastly... WITH that Y Motor removed... Mark and watch the Y Roller Rail Bearings to see if you have any frozen bearngs... THAT could have caused the "Premature" Inner Y Gearbox Bearing Failure....

AL

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html You can get the 685ZZ locally too.

gwizpro
06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Henry1

That was a typo on my part. They do sell for $1.00 each. Thank You for the link....

gwizpro
06-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Al, Do you have a Master (just in case) parts list.. Should would be nice....
Tom

henry1
06-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Those bearing I got some and work great but as Al says check the gear shaft

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Al, Do you have a Master (just in case) parts list.. Should would be nice....
Tom

Tom,

I do not have a parts list... I never even printed the LHR one off the link either.. Sorry... I did print the troubleshooting PDF a few years ago... :) Like the Matag Repairman.. I use it for the cover Shot on my Monthly Calander.... LOL...

I wanted to give the part numbers as sometimes when you call and ask for the Y Gear and Shaft it's hard to find. The Cut Motor Brushes too.

AL