PDA

View Full Version : Simple Rubber Ducky Memorial

Capt Bruce
06-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Hello Friends,

A friend lost his infant Grandson recently and asked if I could carve him a 3D Rubber Ducky as a memorial to place at the gravesite. While he was cared for in the hospital this had been the only object they could place in his Grandson's bed. They have been unable to since find a durable yellow ceramic version to now place on his grave and I said I'd help by making him several (since even in epoxy they will weather).

I need help first finding a simple 3D STL model about 6" beak to tail and then being able to import it as 3/4" vertical slices to carve on the CW as I do not have the STL import software yet. I'd be very grateful for any assistance you can provide to help this family of friends.

62796 62797

Just some idea starters of what they hope to have. My thanks in advance for your kindness.
Bruce

aokweld101
06-09-2013, 08:45 AM
I have the software but don't have a clue how to use it I'm sorry for your friends loss and would help if if I knew how to use it, this is one time I wish I did!

lawrence
06-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Working on it Capt- stand by

Lawrence

lawrence
06-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Will this work for you Capt? You should just be able to carve it x2 and then put together.

I hope this helps and let me know if it needs any tweaking at the STL level and I'd be happy to help more.

Lawrence

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/rubberduckieparts_zps99b3b835.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/rubberduckieparts_zps99b3b835.jpg.html)

peep
06-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Lawrence, your a Master and so helpful too

Capt Bruce
06-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Lawrence,

You have done a truly wonderful selfless thing for people you have not met and your Karma has risen very high today. Outstanding MPC Sir and thank you so very much on their behalf and mine.

b.sumner47
06-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Very nice pattern, Lawrence. Good luck, Capt.Bruce, Fair Tides. Capt Barry

lawrence
06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
just glad I could help-

If the material is still in question I have a couple of suggestions-

yellow corian or use the CW to make a half mold and make the duck in concrete and then paint it with epoxy tinted yellow.

Just my .02

Lawrence

gsdsj
06-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Lawrence, your pattern making is outstanding and helping out Capt. Bruce will diffidently get you some Karma points. You stated in your post "You should just be able to carve it x2 and then put together.", I am I missing something, if you carve it 2x won't you just have 2 of the same side? Not sure if you meant a complete duck. Again a great job, I really like the mpc! I confuse easily! Greg

lawrence
06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Of course you are right...sorry about that, my brain was a bit muddled this morning-

(let's see if I can get this right now) - carve the second side after you "flip" the pieces - I recommend you place the pieces in the layout you would like them in depending on your cut board and then create a pattern from the pieces- this pattern (including the "pierced" surrounds and tabs) can then be "flipped" to create the other side.

Lawrence

ladjr
06-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Lawrence

I have been looking at the MPC and don't understand how if you cut two they will fit together. Don't you have to reverse the second set.

lawrence
06-09-2013, 05:41 PM
it's just a matter of flipping the pieces- here's the other side in case someone doesn't have the path offset tool (it makes life MUCH easier)

Sorry if I wasn't clear... sometimes my brain and my fingers aren't good dance partners :)

Lawrence

Capt Bruce
06-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Greg and Lawrence,
You're both thing much more clearly than I was. Thanks for the catch Greg and for the flipping suggestion Lawrence. Since this will be carved several times that saved me a lot of wood. Thanks again and great pattern work.

ladjr
06-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Lawrence

Me again. Where is the Path Offset Tool. Is it in designer.

bergerud
06-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Nicely done Lawrence. Could I suggest a few things? A small draft on the big piece since the sides are vertical and the bit may cut into the sides. The small draft also gives you a little something to sand in making a cleaner joint. Also, I find it easier to glue with less clamping force if the faces are hollowed slightly leaving only the perimeter for contact.

bergerud
06-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Lawrence

Me again. Where is the Path Offset Tool. Is it in designer.

It is in the 2D drawing suite.

lawrence
06-09-2013, 07:53 PM
excellent fixes- thank you!

I normally do add some draft (seems to reduce carve times significantly too) but just forgot in this case.

I like the "hollow" idea a lot- I've never actually carved a sliced STL and this will come in handy I'm sure, when I do.

Thanks!

Lawrence

Capt Bruce
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks again for your input Lawrence and Bergerud,

Does it look like I've translated your design correctly Lawrence to make the matching set of slices for the other side? This whole sliced carving thing is new to me as well so before I commit it all to the machine I thought I'd ask again. Will add your suggested hollow areas Bergerud. Good tip for the glue up stage. It looks like I may have to sand some wood off the backs of the 1st wing pieces and also off the 2nd piece in forming the body but we'll try that with this prototype and see what we get. I really appreciate your help and you've taught me how to use the Offset tool in making these additional parts.

lawrence
06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Looks really good- my only comment is that you have horiz. grain for the whole duck except for the wings... they are vertical grain. If you are painting it probably isn't that big a deal (and it's a small duck so wood movement isn't much of an issue) but it may look better if you keep it all the same if you are keeping the grain showing.

Glad we could help on what is a very touching memorial,

Lawrence

Capt Bruce
06-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks again Lawrence,
Yes my plan is to apply yellow epoxy and orange so grain direction doesn't matter. I may make one for myself as a memento and I'll change the grain on the wings for that one and keep it natural. Again many thanks for you help.