PDA

View Full Version : Y axis problem, what should I replace?

dehrlich
06-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I have an A machine with approx 180 hours. The Y axis has been sticking lately. Have tried the normal stuff, lubing the rails, cleaning and so on. Truck will stick when manually moving, but machine will still carve. Today I loosened the belt tensioner and pryed it over, then moved the truck easily. It seemed to jump teeth on the motor side, the tensioner wheel moved fine, so I assume it's a problem with the motor. When reassembled, I tried to start a carve and it had problems, eventually stalling. Question is, should I replace the whole motor, or just bearings? Other suggestions? Z truck bearings are all free in both directions.

bergerud
06-06-2013, 11:24 AM
What to do depends on how mechanical you are and how bad the damage is. The problem sounds like it is probably the small little shaft bearings in the y motor pack. If the shaft is not damaged, you may be able to replace them. If the shaft is damaged, you can replace it also. Or you can just buy a new motor pack. I do think you should take it apart first to see what went wrong.

chief2007
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Y gear box bearings and look closely at the Y and z truck bearings as well. Look closely at the y belt for any damage such as missing teeth, etc. Also look at the nylon gear on the belt tensioner as the sleeve can get worn out.

dehrlich
06-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Well considering the fact that I have a big push on to get a bunch of stuff done for a show in July, I'm just going to get a new motor. Perhaps I will see what is wrong with the old one and rebuild it for a back up. Thanks for the advise guys, I appreciate it. Any suggestions for great selling craft show type items?

lawrence
06-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I hope you get up and running quickly and completely-

As for items, make em' quick and make em' inexpensive to make. Use sleds to reduce (eliminate?) waste and consider your audience when you choose what to sell- and good luck!

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
When you order the Motor also order 8 roller rail bearings too... 4 of each. And SCREWS....

I hear you say you lubricated the rails. That can confuse the issue sometimes as that lets a frozen bearing slide sometimes only in one direction.

Frozen bearings can be cleaned and lubricated like posted on another thread.

The 2 inner gearbox bearings are the likely problem....

That is where the clicking is comming from... The Big Plastic Gear leans toward the center of the machine and AWAY from the Servo Shaft... Hence Click, Click.. Click.... Especially when the head is at the bit plate...

AL

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html