PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with my bit locator plate

jose.salinas
06-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Hello all,
I am working on some chess set for a buddy of mine and am currently working on the chess peices. Everything is going great and all; however, yesterday I ran into something that bothered me a little. As the machine was homing itself and running throught the set up before the carve, the bit locator plate did not want to flip out, so I reloaded the bit and hoped that would solve it, but again the bit locator plate did not flip out. I had to manually, and carefully, hold it out myself so that the bit would stop at the proper spot in the bit locator plate. Does anyone know the cause or fix for this?

Any answers would be much appreciated.

CNC Carver
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Try cleaning and lubing bit locator. Also clean rail for truck movememnt.

jab73180
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
The truck moving all the way over hits the back part of the flag which causes it to pop out. Dust gets in it and makes it move harder and harder. Clean it out real good so it moves easier. Or if you dont do a lot of wide carves you can stuff a small wad of paper towel in the pivot so it stays stuck out.

-Jason

jose.salinas
06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you for the suggestions guys

chief2007
06-05-2013, 04:22 PM
CNC Carver pretty much called it, clean and lube the bit plate and clean and lube the Y rails.

If you are close to 250 hours on your machine, then time to change the Y gear box bearings.

jose.salinas
06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I'll have to check but I am pretty sure I will be nearing the 250 hours thanks for your input guys

gashawk
06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Don't forget those two cut motor wires in the back. (I used one of those old fashion dowel cloths pin to hold it out .)

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Beat me to it.... Yes, the 2 wires from the right side cover switch when they are out of position not tucked into the back corner will let the Z Motor Cooling Fins hit.... THIS prevents the Y Head from reaching the bit flag....

And get into the habit of watching the bit touch the bit flag... 1 it can stop short due to dust on the Z Rails or Cog Belt. or 2. the Y stops SHORT and the Bit goes down and misses the bit plate all together..... Wires usualy... OR just needs cleaning and lubrication....

I have a piece of Styrofoam holding my bit plate out ALL THE TIME..... Like posted above.... IF you did a 14.5 inch WIDE board and the Bit Plate was out like on my machine then the BIT will DAMAGE the plate and machine.... IT is designed to RETRACT.... But I never do 14.5 boards so no worries...

AL