PDA

View Full Version : Cover switch and cut motor problems

nickels76
06-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Okay guys, I have a new problem with the cover and the cut motor. I have modified my cover for a dust removal system and the system indicates that the cover is closed during all the tests. I have run a few cuts with no problems, but today about 3/4 of the way through a cut the cut motor stopped spinning but the bit kept moving in the x and y axis. Luckily I was nearby and quickly stopped the machine by opening the cover before I broke a bit. When I closed the cover again it worked fine for about a minute then it did the same thing. This time I opened the cover and hand spun the bit to make sure it the flexishaft was still spinning the cut motor. When I closed the cover the machine began to move in the X, Y and Z axis but the cut motor did not start. I ended up opening and closing the cover and checking the bit a few times and then one time I closed it and the cut motor engaged again. I realized that I was pressing in the center of the cover and that as long as I applied pressure to it the cut motor would spin. If I let up on the pressure the cut motor would slow down and stop, but the bit would still continue in the x, y and z axis. What can I do to fix this issue? It seems like there is some problem with the cover switches, but they are all clean and the user test indicates the cover is closed.

bergerud
06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
The user test is only for the left cover switch which is monitored by the machine computer. The right cover switch interupts the motor and it is the problem. You need to find out why the cover is failing to keep the right switch closed. Listen to when the switch clicks as you close the cover. You may need to do some adjustments or shimming to make sure the cover keeps the switch closed.

fwharris
06-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Make sure that no part of the clear cover is touching your dust collection system. It is possible that the clear cover got out of alignment or even the full cover itself is not square on top of the machine. Either could cause the contact on the cut motor switch to be intermittent from vibration.

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2013, 11:18 PM
My left side cover switch is loose or worn and a strip of masking tape over the clear cover and down into the flex slot acts like a seat belt and when properly installed holds the clear cover tighter to the switch in the down position. Should work too with the right side switch.

AL

Dale
06-03-2013, 11:36 PM
I had the same problem when I installed my dust removal system. A temporary fix was to set a short piece of 4x4 on the right hand side of the cover. Later I found where the cover had to be trimmed down a little more to get the switch to close every time.

ronboley
06-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Hey...that's a great tip embeded in this thread! I have had the same problem with the cut motor stopping, but the x,y,z movement continuing. I guess I eventually did enough cleaning, blowing and messing around that (i guess) the right cover switch made contact and the thing would carve again (grandpa Jones always told me, better to be lucky than smart). I didn't know that the left and right cover switches don't communicate....so the left switch talks to the computer and the right switch controls the cut motor...now it all makes sense...if you listen close enough you can hear both switches click when the cover closes....

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2013, 10:28 PM
As Bill Murray the Actor would say in that ARMY Movie.... "That's a Fact Jack".....

Yes, the right side switch is just wired into the return side of the Cut Motor White Wire..... A extra safety switch.... A few years ago I had my first of 3 X Termination board Failures. My QC's were Worn and I neglected to change them wanting to get "Just One More" project out of the Bad QC. This caused Serious Vibration the likes of the Vibrating SAWS we seen on TV.... The Lolly Pop like C1 or Capacitor 1 would vibrate and SNAP OFF one leg... My Symptoms were.... cover closed, TAP on the top of the machine with hand and the Cut Motor would start turning.... or RUNNING..... WITHOUT the Computer telling it to strart.... The Q1 Transistor in the picture is the ON OFF Switch for the Cut Motor... Normally getting a signal from the Computer to a Optical Coupler a 6 pin IC Chip with a LED Light Inside and a Photo Transistor inside... That in turn turns on the Q1 Transistor... So when the C1 went BAD and touched then not touched by the tapping.... The Q1 would turn on the CUT MOTOR....

I post all this for ONE VERY IMPORTANT REASON.... From time to time WE see posted.... "I bypassed my RIGHT SIDE SWITCH, I DON'T NEED IT"... WELL....... IF you had the Plastic Cover OPEN and you DID bypass the right side switch.... AND you had a C1 go BAD.... AS you change the BIT with your fingers wrapped around the BIT... and you TAP the Machine.... THE CUT MOTOR COULD COME ON.... 1. Because you bypassed the Right side SAFETY SWITCH and 2..Have a BAD C1 Capacitor... HAD the Right Side Switch been properly working and you WERE changing the bit with the Cover OPEN.... The Cut Motor Would NOT come on..... when the C1 went bad...

Hopping off my Soap box.... Just wanted to share the little details.... While working at SONY at the Picture Tube Plant doing New Employee Training.... We got a visit from the 8 and 9 Digit club.... Guys that had lost fingers bypassing safety devices while making picture tubes.... Lets NOT start the CW 9 Digit CLUB...

IF you look at the dates on the pictures you could find the forum Posts on this topic.

AL