PDA

View Full Version : Using scraps of expensive wood

TerryT
06-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I hate burning scraps of walnut and cherry. I resized a cribbage board project to use up 80% of my scraps. It's only 9.5 by 4 inches. I think they will sell at the craft shows during the holiday season. The patterns were found on the web.

jpaluck
06-01-2013, 05:32 PM
VERY Nice!!!!

DocWheeler
06-01-2013, 05:42 PM
If I send you some of my scrap, could you turn them into things like that for me?

Very nice.

peep
06-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Impressive

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Excellent way to turn scraps into CASH...

AL

JuicyCarp
06-01-2013, 08:04 PM
How on earth do you guys get those amazing finishes on your projects? I am guessing its not as simple as brushing on a few coats of poly?

eelamb
06-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Terry, great finish and use of scrap wood.

CNC Carver
06-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Very nice. I'm sure those will sell like hot cakes. Nice use of the scrap!

Capt Bruce
06-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Beautiful creations from otherwise scrap pieces Terry. That's using your imagination and skills. Carved at optimal?

fwharris
06-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Terry,

What scrap?? :wink:

SharonB
06-01-2013, 10:46 PM
That's #1 in my book. Really like the finish. Will this cribbage board pattern be for sale in your store?

badbert
06-01-2013, 11:05 PM
How on earth do you guys get those amazing finishes on your projects? I am guessing its not as simple as brushing on a few coats of poly? Terry always seems to do beautiful finishes!

TerryT
06-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Although the scrap is already paid for out of other projects, I still hate to just burn it.

Beautiful creations from otherwise scrap pieces Terry. That's using your imagination and skills. Carved at optimal?

Capt Bruce, yes these were done on optimum.

I spent about 10 minutes building a dedicated carrier board for this specific piece. I can run this size scrap wood through all day long.

lawrence
06-02-2013, 10:27 AM
beautiful job on the "scraps"! I've been meaning to make a small adjustable sled for just such a purpose.

Very nice,
Lawrence

TerryT
06-14-2013, 08:00 PM
That's #1 in my book. Really like the finish. Will this cribbage board pattern be for sale in your store?

Yes, I just added this project to our Carvewright pattern site.

aokweld101
06-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Hi Terry, great work on the cribbage boards I was up north and lived in nebraska awhile, I think I played it a couple of times but I couldn't tell you how to play it that was 35yrs. ago its gotta be a northern thing cause I havn't heard of it since I have gotten here in florida 35yr. ago it gotta be cause its cold up thare...lol

cestout
06-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Sanding mops is my answer - and patients.

TerryT
06-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi Terry, great work on the cribbage boards I was up north and lived in nebraska awhile, I think I played it a couple of times but I couldn't tell you how to play it that was 35yrs. ago its gotta be a northern thing cause I havn't heard of it since I have gotten here in florida 35yr. ago it gotta be cause its cold up thare...lol

You know, that is a very interesting statement. I'm going to have to check the customer list and see where the majority come from. I know we have customers from pretty much every state but you may be right in that most may be northern.

TerryT
06-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Sanding mops is my answer - and patients.
Clint, blessed be those with patience. Unfortunately I am not one. I can wait for the machine to take longer carving much easier than sit for an hour sanding.

TerryT
06-16-2013, 07:39 AM
If I send you some of my scrap, could you turn them into things like that for me?

Very nice.

Thanks Ken. I have seen some pretty amazing and inovative projects come out of your shop. I don't think mine could compete!

dcalvin4
06-16-2013, 11:38 AM
very nice.....what size cribbage boards are they
denny

TerryT
06-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Folded they measure 9x4 inches. So smaller than a sheet of paper opened up.

Bigtyme
06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Nicely done, Terry. I just ordered the mpc for my shop. I think they will be good sellers. I have made quite few boards for camps and cottages and the folding board will be a great addtion to the available options. Thanks for making it available....

TerryT
06-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Great John! Please let me know how it works for you, maybe a photo if you can. I am very happy with the way they carve and look.

Bigtyme
06-21-2013, 06:58 AM
I will certainly pass along pictures, Terry. Still thinking about what graphics I want to include. The first one will be for display and promotion, so I want to do all I can to get my target market's attention.... I think your design is top notch and I want to do all I can to compliment it...

rcdages
06-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Just now saw this.

Great Job Terry.

Your carvings always look great.

JoeinWestMich
06-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Terry,
Great job. I am going to order the mpc from your website. But I will wait til I get my Carvewright back from warranty repairs. They have had it since May 31st but never even acknowledged they received it. I called a week ago and the technician said they had it fixed and were going to test it out last Friday and would call me. Haven't heard a word from them since. They are not the fastest or most communicating group in the world but I assume it is on the way back to me. I will call on Monday. I can see many designs for this cribbage board. Thanks for your good work.
Joe

TerryT
06-21-2013, 12:28 PM
You are a patient man Joe! I hope you get it back soon. Thanks for the kind words.

aokweld101
06-21-2013, 12:57 PM
just checking in to see your findings on your list of sales if if your costumer base is more northern or southern?

TerryT
06-21-2013, 01:45 PM
just checking in to see your findings on your list of sales if if your costumer base is more northern or southern?

I'm not sure if a check of ALL sales would bare this out, but with just a quick check of the first page of orders (most recent) we have customers in every one of the southern states. However, it does show Wisconsin as having the most sales in this group.

As I said with all of the data that could change but it looks like you may be right! LOL

JoeinWestMich
06-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Sorry to impose on this thread. But just got a call and they are shipping out my Carvewright back to me today. Just in time for my 2 week vacation that starts on June 30th. Back to the Carvewright carving!!! Now to Terry T's website!!

TerryT
06-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Hip Hip Hoorah! Life is good Joe! Hopefully that machine will be spitting out sawdust for two weeks straight!

TerryT
08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
In keeping with my "Stop wasting wood" attitude...
This is a mantle clock that was designed to use those little cutoff pieces that we save for 6 months thinking we will use, but never do.
I always have a bunch in each one of my wood bins. If, like me, you have more time than money then just glue them up and make this clock. It is 13.5 inches tall by 8 inches wide over all. Project comes with the mpc and instructions. Add a $4.99 clock from klockit and you're set.
Take a look at the woodwisdom.com site under projects.

Forgot to mention that the project comes with the pattern you see except the mountains in the background have been replaced by pine and fir tree forrest. The mountains are not my pattern.

mtylerfl
08-09-2013, 01:39 PM
VERY nice project! People will enjoy that for sure. Great job, Terry!

aokweld101
08-10-2013, 06:08 AM
thanks for the reply on the north and south for the cribbage boards so, it's not a good idea to try to sell them here, we get a lot of Canadians in the winter months but still don't think they would sell. Canadians are on a set income and don't let loose of there money which I don't blame them..... No offence to the Canadians this is said to be humorous.....but it takes a stick of dynamite to blow the money out of there pockets.....lmao

RogerB
08-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Only one stick. Thats what happens when they take the penny away from us. Lol This from a Canadian

TerryT
08-15-2013, 08:57 PM
How on earth do you guys get those amazing finishes on your projects? I am guessing its not as simple as brushing on a few coats of poly?

Actually doesn't involve a brush at all! It doesn't take a lot of time and is easy to do. I posted my technique here a while back. You might try a search. I'm sure others will jump in also.

TurtleCove
08-15-2013, 11:07 PM
I too am very interested in the finishing technique....but can't find your posting explaining.....
Someone?