PDA

View Full Version : Bit depth does not match

atldal
05-29-2013, 01:18 PM
So I finally got around to playing with my machine for the first time after fighting a door issue. Now when I load a bit, it goes over and doesn't go all the way down to bit plate. then it gives me a prompt that is "bit depth does not mat" 1)Re-find 2) Continue.

If I try refind, it still does the same thing. I can move the bit down by hand so I know there is nothing holding it up.

Any ideas?

Digitalwoodshop
05-29-2013, 02:09 PM
The most likely reason is you have some dirt on the rails held in place by the wood sap.

The next reason is you have dust inside the cogs of the Z Belt.

The next reason is you have dust inside the Z Encoder on the back of the motor.

The next reason is that the Clear Plastic Disk on the back of the Encoder is spinning free from the motor shaft... Common...A Drop of super glue fixes it... Careful.. don't get it on the marks of the disk.

Next is a bad FSC Cable, the cable that takes the data to the computer.

Lastly is a frozen Truck Roller Rail Bearing.

A quick test to do before you start....

Install a bit.
Move the Z all the way up to the top mechanical limit.
On the keyboard, Options, Sensor Data, and Z Data. This will turn on the Encoder Data at 0000 at the top.
Move the bit down to touch a board or bit plate. Note the numbers, do up and down many times. Are the numbers the same?

If they are... Now do it again while gently flexing the FSC Cable looking for a break.

The black lines on the Encoder Disk make pulses by blocking the light. The LCD 0000 then 0001 is one pulse... Once the machine homes as in the Z Bumping into the top mechanical stop and the Y into the left side. The machine counts pulses to know where it is.

For users that have a ROCK Chuck when you load a bit it is best to have some kind of locking ring so Everytime you install it, it is at the same length. THIS problem keeps happening if I read the problem correct... Over and over...

One last thing..... When the machine is doing bit checks, the computer watches the servo motor current and when it touches the current goes up and the motor reverses without damaging the bit. Dirt on the Rails or a frozen bearing can cause the reverse before it actually touches something... Since you say the bit DOES touch.... Encoder or FSC Cable.

IF you replaced the Z Truck, the replacement Trucks have been known to arrive with the 2 screws holding the Belt on the back of the Z being loose... I had 2.... That can cause this too.

Good Luck,

AL

atldal
05-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Is it possible the pattern can cause this in any way?

Digitalwoodshop
05-29-2013, 02:38 PM
No in my opinion...

This would be part of the machine setup procedures where the computer asks you for each bit in a multi bit project in reverse order. Just to make sure the bit meets the computer's requirements.

Does any bit get past the Re Find?

Sometimes when you load a multi bit project, it asks for the bits before starting to carve. Then it asks for the 2nd bit during the carving and when you install it. The bit does the bit check again and IF the 2nd load of the bit was different then it gives you the Re Find Option... Normally if you do select to Re Find the machine will then take the "LATEST" bit length and cut the project properly...

AL

atldal
05-29-2013, 03:10 PM
It occasionally refind the bit. The reason I asked this is I put in another project and it seems to be running fine. Unsure of what is going on.