PDA

View Full Version : Litho for a Graduation Present

Geomoo1
05-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Here is my latest project on my CarveWright. It's a lithophane of my granddaughter's high school graduation picture. The frame has the school crest at the top (Richland Rebels) with her name and graduation year at the bottom. I created the name and date in Paint.net and imported it into the pattern editor and the crest was downloaded from the internet. The frame is clear pine with a shellac sealer and golden pecan stain. The finish is five coats of wipe on poly sanded lightly with 320 grit between coats. After the last coat dried I rubbed in a liberal amount of Johnson's Paste Wax with 0000 steel wool and buffed with a cotton cloth. It is so slick a fly would slip down and break its neck.The back light is simply two puck lights. I tried rope lights but they were too yellow and not very bright. I am still searching for a better way to back light.

CarverJerry
05-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Looks good George, thanks for sharing with us.

Bigtyme
05-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Nicely done, George.... I am sure it will be cherished for a long time to come.....

Oak Tech
05-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Nice work. Do those lights get hot? If so what are you doing for ventilation? The puck lights I've seen get really hot and could be a fire hazard. Thanks for the post. Bob

Geomoo1
05-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Nice work. Do those lights get hot? If so what are you doing for ventilation? The puck lights I've seen get really hot and could be a fire hazard. Thanks for the post. Bob

Thanks. These don't seem to get very hot but in any event there is a 1" hole in the back cover that should provide enough venting.

Geomoo1
05-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks. CarverJerry and John.