PDA

View Full Version : Y Sprocket Bearing

unitedcases
05-24-2013, 09:19 PM
So here is an interesting one. I just finished up a short carve, 9 hours. I am doing my usual post flight check and I notice a clicking in the y direction and its a little tighter than normal. I start taking piece by piece off and I find the outer bearing to the y sprocket, furthest from the sprocket, has exploded. The sprocket still feels tight so I think its a usual change the bearings fix. Mind you I just changed the bearings and the y sprocket about 100 carving hrs ago, I wonder if thats like dog years. I then disassemble the y motor to find that I cannot get that inner race of the exploded bearing. I fear that to truly remove that race, and I can get it off, I will end up ruining the trueness of the sprocket. So anyone have a y sprocket they want to sell? Other than that any thoughts? Usually that is one of the few things you really dont have to mess with other than changing them every so often.

chief2007
05-24-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I have one, I will check in the morning and email you.

unitedcases
05-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Im pretty sure you were you put on this forum to be my guardian angel Chief. As always......Thanks.

bergerud
05-24-2013, 10:08 PM
The shaft on the Y gear can be pressed out. This was discovered by Badbert. If you get some spacers together (deep socket or pipe) and a vise, you should be able to push the shaft through the gear and through the bad bearing race at the same time. Give it a try. Nothing to loose.

cestout
05-25-2013, 05:10 PM
They are only about $5 at LHR. I keep spares because the first time I had to replace the bearings, the shaft had worn badly.