PDA

View Full Version : artcam?

menewfy
02-09-2007, 11:15 PM
does anyone here have artcam?

I would be interested in asking a couple of questions if someone has it.

thanks

HandTurnedMaple
02-09-2007, 11:47 PM
It looks really cool and easy to use (gosh an advertisement that makes the product looks easy!!! :shock: ). The big question for me is will it output properly for CW.

Jon Jantz
02-10-2007, 12:25 AM
You can output the 3d image as a grayscale depth map, which then allows you to import it into Designer. It would be much nicer if Carvewright would let you take in 3d files, then Artcam would be more useful.. however, Artcam is still very nice for taking 3d objects such as 3ds files and turning them into carveable artwork...

HandTurnedMaple
02-10-2007, 10:12 AM
So the answer is: completed ArtCam files can be directly cut-and-pasted into the Designer Import Image function?

BobHill
02-10-2007, 11:29 AM
HTM,

The ArtCam "Insignia" program runs $850, but if you already have CorelDraw (especially X3 suite) or Xara Xtreme, you have the ability to do what ArtCam does. I'd suggest you download Jon Jatz tutorial on digitizing 2D items for shaping for the CarveWright to see how it's done. Well worth the $10 in my opinion ... and I'm pretty good with CorelDraw and it sure helped me (although I'd do the initial drawing a tad differently :P , the contouring method is great for establishing the carving).

Jon, are you using WINK for your tutorials? Nice layout, bye the way, and obviously not your first time at doing it.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

HandTurnedMaple
02-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I downloaded it, but I haven't had time to really work with it. But I intend to be an expert by the time I go on vacation on the 24th. Luckly I have 5-6 days of spraying lacquer before then, which is basically spray for 10 minutes - wait for 30 minutes.

bobreda
02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I wish Art cam insigma did cost $850. I believe it runs around $3500 and art cam pro runs in the $7500 range. It has a very steep learning curve as well.

Bob

bobreda
02-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I wish Art cam insigma did cost $850. I believe it runs around $3500 and art cam pro runs in the $7500 range. It has a very steep learning curve as well.

Bob

JamesB
02-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Bob's right, ArtCAM Insignia is $3000 and does not allow you to do anything with a greyscale or 3D model (it is a 2D/@.5D routing package). ArtCAM Pro is $7500 and would do a good job of outputting a grescale model but that is really only a very small part of what it is designed to do.
Thanks, James

HandTurnedMaple
02-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I was hoping James would chime in here. It definately sounds like way more than I need at this point. I'll just give my money to VA3D and Corel.

((Of course the minute I said that, I went back to CorelDraw 12 and caused a wheel-nut error that required a hard restart.))

BobHill
02-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry! I was looking at ArtCam Insignia E (not Insigma as I previously typed), which apparently is a basic program and not the full Insignia. The basic program is what is $850 ... http://www.artcam.com/artcam/insignia/insigniaE/default.asp and talk about over kill, that's what PRO would be for "our" use, especially since the good old standby's will do it as well, albeit perhaps not quite as fast. I guess it depends upon the value of one's time as to ArtCam's value to you. Mine is a great deal less than that.

Bob

bobreda
02-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I rather give the money to James and have him make me some very nice art work :D