PDA

View Full Version : Trying something new on a rainy day

Capt Bruce
05-19-2013, 10:09 PM
I received a new commission for a Beauty Shop specializing in dreadlocks. The sign is in process to be delivered later this week so I thought I'd share the painting steps underway now before the final finish of Spar Varnish for outdoor exposure. I'd appreciate your thoughts before I do the final coating.

62410 62411 62413 62414

Just wondering if my hair is long enough to try a new look before the Conference in Houston

Digitalwoodshop
05-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Very Nice Work !!!!

AL

SharonB
05-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Wow! Wow! I really like your figures. Did you make those patterns yourself? Exceptional painting. If you had a hair-do like that I might be tempted to change my mind and attend the conference just to view the spectacle.

CarverJerry
05-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Cool look'n sign, just not my hair style, (I'm bald, ha ha) Sure like how you did the finish work.

chebytrk
05-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Looks Great!

Smoken D
05-20-2013, 07:30 AM
I can tell you modeled for the carving, came out great:D;) How long, no pun intended, of a carve was this one?

lawrence
05-20-2013, 08:29 AM
looks amazing! Are you going to paint the letters too?

Also, for the outdoor finish, I highly recommend Epifanes varnish.

Lawrence

fwharris
05-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Capt.,

Great job on your design, carve and painting. Now that would be a sight to see, you in dread locks! As for me, NOT!

rcdages
05-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Great job Capt.

All looks very well done to me.

Will be looking for you and your new hair style at the conference.

Capt Bruce
05-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Thank you one and all for your very kind comments on the sign in process. Tonight it gets the first thorough coating with Spar Varnish. Probably 3 coats on the front and 2 on the back will give it the gloss I hope for and protect it from the sun for at least a few years.

To answer a few questions raised;

Al, thank you very kindly.

Sharon, yes I modeled these two from internet illustrations, not to carve very deep but to at least enough to suggest the major shapes and emphasize the dreadlocks. Thank you for your compliment on my attempt at painting; coming from one of our Master Painters that is high praise indeed. As to the hairdo well see below . . . .

Carver Jerry, again thanks. No that hair style is not for everyone. Again see below.

Smoken D it was a six hour carve run at optimal for the details. This won't be a real money maker for me since I'm trying to still get work out there in the community for visibility and word of mouth advertising now before I go at this full time.

Lawrence, looks like a great varnish from what I've read but can't get it here in time to meet deadline. Will order some for next outdoor sign for sure. My customer like the shadow effect of the letters but did not want them painted. Thanks as always

Floyd, you had me thinking of getting a dreadlocks wig before Houston but decided on the image below instead. Now aren't you sorry you got me going on this. See you next month to raise a few to help get this image out of your mind.

Thank you as well Robert. A little preview of what would have appeared at the Conference. It was enough to convince me I didn't want to scare everyone so I'll stick with my current haircut instead.

62453 Click to enlarge at your own risk and please be sure no children are in the room.

SharonB
05-22-2013, 01:33 AM
That is hilarious.

henry1
05-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Capt your the man lol

tierman
05-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Capt. Bruce, Dreads look great on you man, they bring out your artistic side. Sorry that I will not be able to tip one with you this year in Houston but maybe next year. Consider using General Finishes Exterior 450 in the future for your exterior signage. I use it exclusively on my slabs and have had very good luck with it. It comes in gloss or satin finish.

Capt Bruce
05-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Thank you Sharon and Henry, you've got to have some fun in all this and I'm often too serious anyway.

Tierman, sorry we can't get together in Houston again but there is always next year. I appreciate the recommendation on General Finishes Exterior 450. Will have to find some and do a comparative exposure test piece before I commit to a single outdoor finish coating. Your experience like Lawrence's is very valuable to me and it's appreciated. Stay well Sir.

rcdages
05-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Capt Bruce,

Clicking on to enlarge on your new hair, could be very risky I would say.

See you next month.....

Capt Bruce
05-26-2013, 06:40 PM
I didn't want to leave that disturbing image of me in dreadlocks as the last picture you see in this thread so here are some views of the finished sign with 3 coats of Spar Varnish as it was presented to the very happy new owner.

62542 62543 62544 62545 62546

Now that's a lovlier face than mine to leave in your memories. Sharon, can you spot the Golden Interference paints? Thanks for the tip on using these.
See you all in Houston in June.