PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Centerline

Geophyrd
05-19-2013, 11:00 AM

So I'm working in Centerline on a long project. They're drawer covers and I wanted to do one 'plaque' stating who built the chest and when. I set the box, set Double Down Dome surface, marked for pierce and at 800. Then I applied my text in Centerline. It looks like only part of it is coming up. I know Centerline's a little weird...but can't seem to find a way to get it to merge with the surface. Am I doing something wrong or 'It will just come out fine'?

The board is 7-8', so don't want to carve it until I know its right....

fwharris
05-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Doing centerline on anything other than the top flat surface of the board (carve regions, domed surfaces etc.) you need to select the "conform" box to get it to conform to the surface you are placing it on..

bergerud
05-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Of course, you have to have the Conforming Vectors add on. ($50)

fwharris
05-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Of course, you have to have the Conforming Vectors add on. ($50)

Very true..

Geophyrd
05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Where do you find the 'Conform' box?

chief2007
05-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Look in the tool bars you should see a small box with the word conform next to it .

mtylerfl
05-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Where do you find the 'Conform' box?

By default, it should appear on the Input Toolbar (if you don't see the Conform checkbox, you may need to go into the Customize menu and go ahead and add it manually).

To use Conform, the object (a vector or text with a bit assigned) needs to be selected first, then the Conform checkbox becomes available for use.

Also, see page 4 of the following Tips & Tricks I wrote awhile back:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_DEC_2010.pdf

Geophyrd
05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Thank you, gents. All set.

One question...I saw that by setting software to 90 degree v bit and using 60 degree bit that you could get some additional depth. Is that correct?

DickB
05-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you, gents. All set.

One question...I saw that by setting software to 90 degree v bit and using 60 degree bit that you could get some additional depth. Is that correct?
No. That will result in letters that are narrower than desired and probably misshapened, but no deeper.

bergerud
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
No. That will result in letters that are narrower than desired and probably misshapened, but no deeper.

Sorry Dick but I do not think that is right. The depths change to keep the widths the same. If you use the 60 degree bit in the software (goes deeper) and then put in the 90 degree bit in the machine, you will get wider and deeper letters than if you have used the 90 degree bit in the software.

DickB
05-19-2013, 01:55 PM
The statement was set the software to 90 degree and use the 60 degree. Once you set the software to a bit, say the 90 degree bit, the depth is determined and set. Yes, the depth is set based on the width, but it is set - predetermined. Now, it doesn't matter what bit you use in the machine - put a straight bit in even - it will not go any deeper than the 90 degree bit would. The machine does not know what bit you loaded.

If you set the software to 60, the bit cut path will be determined to be deeper than if you set the software to the 90, for the reason that you described. But once you set the software to a bit, the depth is fixed regardless of what bit you use.

bergerud
05-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Right, I am sorry. I miss understood. I think Geophyrd also miss understood the idea. He has it backwards. Tell the software to use the 60 and then actually use the 90 in the machine and you will get letters that are deeper than if you had set the bit to 90 in the software.

DickB
05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Right, in your case what you have said the letters will be deeper but they will also be distorted. The effect may be pleasing or not, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".