PDA

View Full Version : priceing the pom's

aokweld101
05-19-2013, 06:30 AM
I have 8 pom's from the 12 pom's from a year subcription, being summer and all I live in a tourist town the locals all work for minumin wage but we have the tourist that bring money in...my question is what do each of these pom's average price scale, I like doing them but don't want to give them away either.

aokweld101
05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I,m asking, is this question a dead horse or could someone answer with the prices ...no disrespect intended. just asking... thank you

lynnfrwd
05-19-2013, 09:04 PM
It's a hard question to answer. Don't sell your self short. It's easier to come down then go up in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DickB
05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I think your question is too broad. Everyone prices their work differently, and there are a lot of factors. Is yours a hobby or a business? Mine is more of a hobby, but I try to get at least $20 an hour, $10 an hour machine time, plus materials. How long does it take you to build a project, and what is your cost of materials?

chebytrk
05-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Very true in that it's different everywhere. All depends on the demographics of the area you are in. I know some persons that charge 37 cents per carve time minute plus materials, plus labor hours.

Digitalwoodshop
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
It comes down to Perceived Value and catching the eye of the Tourist... A Finicky Eye at that... For me in the Pocono Mountains of PA with tourist from NYC and Philly it's all about BEARS... Black Bears.... Something Cute from the Mountains...

A Bear Clock will sell all day for $35.00 but bump it to $45.00 and no way.... Being you are in Fla the tourist can be much more reserved... A direction would be to market something that Granny can buy the Grandkids..... Custom Name things can be a possibility... The machine can cut out wood names by loading the font called "My Chain" The trick is to set the depth to leave a skin on the bottom of the wood to hold all the small parts then sand the skin off.

Now for the price plan... I try to get 3 times to 4 times the cost of materials. With that being said.... I have not done a Craft Show in 3 years... No money in it now....

Good Luck,

AL

dltccf
05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
I looked for my chain on fontspace.com and did not find. Where did you locate it ?

Dave

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mtylerfl
05-21-2013, 06:50 AM
I looked for my chain on fontspace.com and did not find. Where did you locate it ?

Dave

Dave,

I THINK the link below has the font that AL uses. If not, I'm sure he will chime in.

"The Scrollsaw Workshop Stencil Printer 1.7 is my latest software for creating patterns. It will create key chain fobs, desk name plates and more. "
"...and Scroll Saw Keychain Pattern Maker and oval keychain maker"
http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

Chay
05-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi,

I have that software. How about posting a few samples of your finished Keychains. I'm looking for Ideas for Christmas craft fair. Have you inlayed any?

All the best
Chay

aokweld101
05-22-2013, 11:11 PM
I have tried the numbers on someone's formula for the prices on the pom's...the wheelbarrow for instant...run the panels on optimal.....on the handles and wheels, on the best setting, total carving time...117 mins -chargeing .37 per min is $43.29....material, cost 15.28 x 2, total $30.56. and if I add 4 hrs minimum for labor at $9.00 is $36.00 ..which in reality took me 8hrs. the total adds up to..$109.85.....is this about right for the priceing ?

lawrence
05-22-2013, 11:52 PM
I've got to say that your formula is what I call "the red zone" for selling stuff. You're probably going to have a hard time selling many at that price and even if you sold a hundred, you're so low down on your hourly wage that you're at or below min wage. Keep in mind that you are competing with things such as this...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/111236752/wheelbarrow-display-table-ornament-wood?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=woodworking_low&gclid=CJaYxsm1q7cCFUeCQgodaT0AMg
so you can see that your price is many times what they are asking for what most consumers would see as a similar item.

When I see this happen with my work I usually find ways to increase speed and efficiency... in your above case, by a lot... a whole lot

Consider - batching out parts (do 20 wheels at once, 20 handles at once etc) and then pre-carving sides and setting up a jig to customize them etc etc... Also, I'd rather spend $2 more on wood for a project that uses a hardwood, can be carved on Normal, and doesn't need much sanding... my time is worth more and I can in turn usually charge more.

Also, waste as little as possible. you've listed $30 in materials (is that just the wood or does it include finish/glue/sandpaper etc?) In either case, jigs/sleds are your friends for not wasting materials as is (as I've mentioned) batch cutting to cut down on waste.

and then... speed... blazing speed... and make sure your work stands out in some way that sets it apart....

Good luck and I'm sorry to be such a party pooper on this one but I don't want to blow smoke up your rear either.

Lawrence

rmock
05-23-2013, 03:57 AM
I agree with Lawrence. Speed of production and efficiency is a must when making these types of projects. I have been in the same boat where I have just made enough to cover materials and nothing for my time. Personalizing projects or small custom orders can bring a much better return.

rcdages
05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
To me all, pricing is a big night mirror and it can only be based on the area one lives and the type of income in ones area.

Then again it is a crap shoot.

I will think and think on a price then tell the customer and I hear "is that all " Then on the other hand you have the person
who will say "you want what for that" So go figure.

I more then not most likely break even on most things. Then again I have to say I guess.

When I get home after a CRAZY day at work here, there is nothing more to unwind me then getting in my shop area and running the CW or having the dremal tools running and doing my detail sanding.

If I set on the sofa and hold one of my cats, with in mins I am a sleep. So sand sand sand................

dcalvin4
05-23-2013, 03:36 PM
somebody posted ;;; machine time 5 dollars hr , plus price material ; multiply these numbers by 2;;; Then ask your wife if she would buy for that amount
denny

rcdages
05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
somebody posted ;;; machine time 5 dollars hr , plus price material ; multiply these numbers by 2;;; Then ask your wife if she would buy for that amount
denny

I was just figuring this out with one of my 5 hour carvings and what I am going to charge the customer and it worked out.
For me any way.

aokweld101
05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
thanks everyone for the replies I was getting concerned about the prices as I had my leg apputated two years ago and the cravewight has been my savior as something to do, I'm 58 yrs. old I'm not ready to watch TV and waiting for the time to die, Ive been a welder,fabricator for 30 yrs and my life had stopped at that time I don't want to run out of materials and no money to buy more. that is why I really want it to work......I would like the title....carvewright staff... just kidding gentlemen ...lmao

bergerud
05-23-2013, 08:49 PM
From what I see on the forum, money is to be made in personalized signs. Maybe some sign makers would know more.

chebytrk
05-23-2013, 11:15 PM
I kinda think that although as Lawrence said about the "red zone", at least it puts one in the ballpark and a place to work from. I believe that after finding your "red zone" price, then you can start reducing the price based on demographic, cost of living, stock market, & Obamacare. Just kidding.... Forget about stock market. LOL. I'll be doing a "Trade Days" event next month & I'm trying to figure out how much to reduce from the "red zone" price. If I figure it out I'll post it. Maybe something like reduce red zone price by 15% and if the customer doesn't flinch, you come back with "Plus Tax". :grin: