PDA

View Full Version : Cornhole boards

unitedcases
05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Have anyone tried to carve a cornhole board? I ask because oddly enough I have been asked to make a set with some carvings in them. In my mind you would have to use solid wood vice plywood, which could affect the bounce, then glue them up for the 2 x 4 ft top. Does this sound feasible to anyone out there?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

dltccf
05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Have anyone tried to carve a cornhole board? I ask because oddly enough I have been asked to make a set with some carvings in them. In my mind you would have to use solid wood vice plywood, which could affect the bounce, then glue them up for the 2 x 4 ft top. Does this sound feasible to anyone out there?

Oddly enough, I was just asked about making cornhole boards last night. My thoughts were that perhaps I would do some carving around the edge on the sides, but that the top would be off limits because that would effect the bounce and slide.

dave

chebytrk
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Can't believe how much ($80) they sell for! That's some "cha-ching". :D

lawrence
05-13-2013, 12:01 PM
I've made a few cornhole sets... fun and easy to make
Might I suggest using vinyl decals rather than carvings?

V/r
Lawrence

JoeinWestMich
05-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Here is what I do for cornhole boards. On the base rail along the 4' side (I have used both 2x4 and 1x4), I run it through a thickness planer to take off just enough to give a smooth surface and accurate dimension along the length. Then I V-carve using a 90 degree bit the family's last name on one or both sides. Sometimes I will carve something else on the other..... I just carved "G0-BLUE" on the other side for someone wanting a U of M Block M for the top. I then paint the lettering with a contrasting color to rail color so it stands out. For the top, I have used a vinyly decal. Most printing shops will cut out a logo for you or you can find them online doing a google search. I have wanted to do a cut out on the top and fill in with epoxy to make it smooth with the top of the plywood, but can't get the 2x4 foot piece into the carvewright. You can't leave a V-carve or cutout in the top unfilled or the corn filled bags won't slide as they are supposed to. People have been very pleased with having their named carved in the sides, and I get $150.00 per cornhole set with bags.

ladjr
05-13-2013, 03:40 PM
I had to look cornhole board on the internet to figure out what it was. My mine was running all over. Just proves you always can learn something more.

chebytrk
05-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Sounds great! Would you mind posting a pic of what it looks like? Thanks..

Here is what I do for cornhole boards. On the base rail along the 4' side (I have used both 2x4 and 1x4), I run it through a thickness planer to take off just enough to give a smooth surface and accurate dimension along the length. Then I V-carve using a 90 degree bit the family's last name on one or both sides. Sometimes I will carve something else on the other..... I just carved "G0-BLUE" on the other side for someone wanting a U of M Block M for the top. I then paint the lettering with a contrasting color to rail color so it stands out. For the top, I have used a vinyly decal. Most printing shops will cut out a logo for you or you can find them online doing a google search. I have wanted to do a cut out on the top and fill in with epoxy to make it smooth with the top of the plywood, but can't get the 2x4 foot piece into the carvewright. You can't leave a V-carve or cutout in the top unfilled or the corn filled bags won't slide as they are supposed to. People have been very pleased with having their named carved in the sides, and I get $150.00 per cornhole set with bags.

unitedcases
05-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Great idea. My thoughts were no initially and pretty much still are. But glad to hear of someone making it work. The vinyl decal is probably the way I would go.

JoeinWestMich
05-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Don't have one on hand. I am working on a couple of other projects for family but think I will be starting a set of cornhole boards in about 2 weeks. I will take pics and post when I do. If you are a RedWings fan, one of them is going to be for Justin Abdelkader. Great guy. Has been signing jerseys for me for the charity auctions I work with. This will be a "Thank You" gift. So there might be a few other bells and whistles which will show up in the pics too.

unitedcases
05-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Well, after this thread not getting much response and with what I feel is a pretty big demand I think I am going to give this a go. I am going to build a set for myself. I plan to make the top out of solid 1/2 something, (havent made my mind up yet), then carve a eagle, globe and anchor using the tiling process. I will steer away from the painting. I think I will stain the entire thing golden oak. I like the way that brings out details in carvings and then fill the carving with epoxy gloss. I have two bottles of that that appear to be good and I have had them forever so its definitely time to use them. Then spar urethane the entire thing with a good 3 coats at a minimum. If it sells great, if not I will have a great set for myself.

JoeinWestMich
05-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Please post as to how this turns out. I have never done a solid top (soft or hard wood) out of concern of warping and dimensional change with use. Remember that this will be used in all kinds of weather. So your results would be helpful to know. If you want to purchase bags, the best place I have found to get them is at www.etsy.com. Many vendors so many colors, patterns, with varied good pricing levels. I would certainly also like to see how the carving looks with the epoxy covering. Good luck, good carving, hope you sell a bunch of them!!!

unitedcases
05-18-2013, 01:01 PM
I certainly will. I plan to use somewhat narrow boards and alternate the rings. I will probably run some bracing across the bottom to minimize warpage. These boards, (unfortunately), will probably not have any bounce at all. For the wood type I think I am going to use oak. Pine or poplar would match the sides better but I fear that even with a good few heavy coats of urethane it would still dent over time. Since the carving will be 11 in square or round depending on how you look at it I should have to worry with details being lost. Also I plan to make the carving as shallow as humanly possible. The more epoxy used means the darker and more covered up the carving would be which in turn would defeat the entire process.