PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor Issue

atldal
05-12-2013, 10:35 AM
In the middle of a cut, I started having a variety of errors. Once I restarted the project, the cut began again, but the motor was not running. After that I started getting a check cut motor error. When I tried a different cut, the machine would again start to carve, but the motor would not spin. I went and manually tested the motor using the menu option and the motor starts and begins to run fine, then begins to lag and cut in and out. Any idea of what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Shane

chief2007
05-12-2013, 10:48 AM
First check the brushes, if your are close or at 250 hrs, the brushes will need to be changed most likely

Second you may need to open up the cut motor and clean out the saw dust. If you do open the motor check the wire connections, they have been known to come loose or burn through.

atldal
05-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I will check both, the motor only has 54 hours on it so hopefully it isn't the brushes.

Digitalwoodshop
05-12-2013, 12:11 PM
You can find a bunch of threads on this issue and some have been the motor and some the X Termination board if cleaning it does not help. Use the "Cut Motor" with " " in the search window.

AL

atldal
05-12-2013, 12:19 PM
So after taking the machine apart a million times I discovered the motor and board are fine. The trouble is with the right side door switch. It looks like either the door or the case is warped and they aren't as close as they should be. I was able to wedge a small piece of wood in the pin and move it closer. the pin had a lot of play in it. Is there a way to adjust these?

bergerud
05-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Too bad, that is usually the first place suggested to look. Well, at least you found the problem and it is fairly trivial. I do not think it is adjustable (unless it is loose). It sounds like creative shimming or a new switch is required.

atldal
05-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Bergerud. I ended up using hot glue on the pin in the plastic cover and it worked great. I'm hoping this is the cause of a lot of errors. On the plus side, my machine is completely serviced now.

cestout
05-12-2013, 01:31 PM
You didn't get a "Check Cut Motor" alert? I have been able to move the door open/close switch by loosening the screws and pushing it forward. Never had problems with the motor switch, but I am surprised the machine didn't know the motor wasn't turning.

bergerud
05-12-2013, 01:43 PM
I think the cut motor test is only during initial spin ups. If the motor quits in the middle, the machine does not seem to know. It has been mentioned before how the rpm sensor should be monitored continuously by the software.