PDA

View Full Version : Teak Wood

FdxGuy
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Has anyone carved any teak? Did it perform well?

What was the best wood for you so far. I'm getting ready to make my first purchase of "good" wood. I'm pretty new to real woodworking so I would like to know what I should look for. Any suggestions on where to purchse wood would also be welcome.

I know next to nothing other than what the folks at Home Depot tell me and sometimes I suspect they know less than me.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill
02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Hello Bill,
Here is a post by "pkunk" He explains it very well on the thread below.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8078&highlight=#8078

Bill.

HandTurnedMaple
02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Never tried teak. And given that its 3x the price of oak and 2.5x the price of cherry, I probably never will. In my book teak exists only for use on very expensive outdoor furniture, as it is the ultimate exterior wood. And unless you really, REALLY like the grain its wasted when used for something indoors.

My favorite is currently cherry. I've tried red oak, white oak, basswood, cherry, and hard maple. Hard maple is my second favorite so far.

FdxGuy
02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Hello Bill,
Here is a post by "pkunk" He explains it very well on the thread below.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8078&highlight=#8078

Bill.

Hello Bill,

That was a great read. I would guess that Pkunk has forgotten more about wood than I will ever know. But I am still curious about how well teak carves. I know it's wicked expensive, but when i look at the grain and hardness of the wood it seems almost ideal for carving on a Compucarve.

As soon as I get my powersupply (Note to self-- Bard has no idea how long sending parts actaully takes, he just makes up dates. ) I am going to carve some different woods. I need to figure out where to buy the stuff. Are there any reasonable places to buy wood online?

Thanks,
Bill

nodwell
02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Try www.walllumber.com

I've dealt with them several times over the last 6 years and have always been satisfied with what I recieved.

Don

Bill
02-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Hello Bill,
You wrote;

That was a great read. I would guess that Pkunk has forgotten more about wood than I will ever know

Well that includes myself also it's nice to have folks here with the years of experience and wisdom and are willing to share it with us, his experience has helped me and I am sure a lot others.

As far as buying wood online I would not even consider that it's hard enough for me picking out material when I am looking at it more or less purchasing it sight unseen online. I would go to the your local suppler and don't be afraid to ask questions like in (pkunk post) describes.
This is just my thoughts.
Bill.

FdxGuy
02-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Try www.walllumber.com

I've dealt with them several times over the last 6 years and have always been satisfied with what I recieved.

Don

Awesome they have everything! Thanks for the tip!