PDA

View Full Version : Sticking on Y rail

dehrlich
05-08-2013, 08:08 PM
I looked through the trouble shooting guide and didn't find anything on this. I noticed today when setting up my machine that the truck is sticking on the Y rails. When I move it side to side it sticks in a couple places and once it stuck enough it took a decent amount of pressure to get it moving again. I oiled the guide rails, checked the bearings, and the belt seems to be ok. I went ahead with a 3+ hour carve and it went ok. I did notice it making a couple passes that seemed slower than usual, but I though perhaps it was just to do detail.

Could this be a symptom that the Y motor is going out?

chief2007
05-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Could be the bearings, but could be sap built up on the rails. A good cleaning and I would also recommend to maybe clean the Y truck bearings. How many hours on the machine?

dehrlich
05-08-2013, 09:33 PM
150 hours I think. That could be, I've cut some pine recently. I'll give it a try thanks!

badbert
05-08-2013, 10:15 PM
It is probably the Y-Drive Gear bearings. Disconnect the belt and see if the problem goes away. If it does pull the Y-drive and check the big gear for wobble. If it does then you need to order bearings.

Digitalwoodshop
05-09-2013, 12:04 PM
It comes down to 2 things... like posted above. The 2 small bearings inside the Y Gearbox are bad and even bad so long that the shaft on the big Y Gear Box shaft is worn thin and the shaft is leaning toward the center of the machine. IT then RUBS on the U Shaped Machine Frame where the motor is mounted. This causing friction and sticking like you say.... The Bearings are available and even the new shaft gear from LHR. This is a 250 Cut Hour Recommended replacement part... the Bearings, before they go bad and wear the shaft thin. The classic 3 clicks when the Y is at the Bit Plate is a normal Bearings are Shot....

The 2nd reason is the Roller Rail Bearings.... As dust builds up inside the roller rail bearings, the bearings will stick and freeze. Placing oil on the Rails just lets them slide not rotating along the rails and gives you a false "I am OK" from the machine until the oil drys up again. The real problem is the bearing not rotating.... I mark them with a black marker to endure they are rotating.

Good Luck,

AL