PDA

View Full Version : Does the CW make a double/finish pass with 1/4" bit?

brdad
05-07-2013, 05:05 AM
I carved half a project yesterday and the parts of the carve that utilized the 1/4" ballnose bit the machine made one pass and then a second pass. I'm not even 100% sure the second pass was deeper, but if it was it was minimal. I thought I had forgotten and set the minimum pass, but I did not. My depth was .258" Maybe the ballnose bit has a fixed .25" max pass setting? When I do the second half of the project this afternoon I think I'm gonna try the depth at .25 and see what happens.

I didn't actually use the ballnose bit, I used a 1/4" upcut bit, but that should be irrelevant. I wonder why doesn't the software have a 1/4 straight bit option?

The included file is only partial of the project, but all the highlighted cuts in the picture made the double pass. Making an unneeded double pass when you're cutting 32 of these it adds a bit of time to the process.

Dan-Woodman
05-07-2013, 08:19 AM
I beleive you are correct. I think it does make a clean-up pass. You would think with the 1/4" straight bit being the most popular and common of all bits , they would include it in the bit selection.
Another bit they should include is the 1/4" roundover bit that comes to a point at the centerline.

brdad
05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Well, I guess that may not be the case. I decreased the depth to .25 and it did all the cuts in one pass. I'm thinking now because of the geometry of the 1/4" bullnose bit, it's just programmed to cut in 1/4" increments. All the more reason to have a 1/4" straight bit on the bit list!

http://store.carvewright.com/image.php?type=P&id=16152

Dan-Woodman
05-07-2013, 11:25 PM
They wouldn't have to have a seperate function for each bit . When you click on the 1/4" roundnose, have several choises come up all with the same feed rate and speed, just change the view on your board of what bit you choose. 1/4" roundnose, 1/4" plunging straight ( like spiral endmill) and undersize 1/4" for plywood. With all the added features being available , it's time to give us more bit choises. I use these bits now , I just can't see what they look like in designer.