PDA

View Full Version : Dinning Table Project Progress

ronboley
05-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Since many of the forum members have been sooooo helpful in this my first real project...here's sme progress photos of the dinning table as it's coming together. The challenges were to scan the existing carvings of the table leave edge, th curved skits, the legs, feet and corbels into the software, become familliar with the pattern editor and discover how to "extend" the editable area to make the full extent of the (straight new) skirt parts and of course get the machine to work on long boards, etc....etc..etc.... So the carving is done, the parts are made and the fit up process is underway.

mtylerfl
05-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Ron,

Thank you for sharing the progress photos. Wow! What a GREAT job you are doing on the rebuild. Outstanding!

Smoken D
05-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Cracked my neck looking upsidedown;), but what a FANTASTIC JOB! A lot of work in this project!

Old Salt
05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Grand

looks great keep us up to date

tierman
05-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Very nicely done. I do have to ask, how did you carve the radiused outside carves on the legs?

ronboley
05-15-2013, 05:24 PM
The table project is done. Set it up in our dinning room this morning ! I'm not sure what the question was about carving the "radius" but I assume the carving on the foot is what is being referred to (?) the feet facing the camera are part of the original table that were hand carved about 100 years ago. I disassembeled the parts and scanned the sides of the feet and corbels into the software. To get the full carved effect all around the 4" wide foot I would have to slice the existing foot into 3/4" thick slabs and scan each "slab" in for carving multiple parts and then laminate them back together. Rather than slice up 100 year old carvings I scanned the sides of the feet and corbels, carved the side details and laminated them onto pieces I cut and sanded to follow the carved form. That results in a center column, feet and corbel simillar to the end originals, but not exactly the same. Now ....on to the chairs!

gwhiz
05-15-2013, 06:50 PM
That. Is. Awesome.

mercer57
05-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Really nice work, but how in the hell do you get it to stick to the ceiling?

badbert
05-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Good one Mercer! I only have one question? When can I come pick it up?! That is beautiful!

Canemaker
05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Could you rotate the pictures so we can truely appreciate all your great work. My desktop screen doesn't rotate.
Thanks and when are you going to post the patterns on the forum for sale?

DocWheeler
05-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Here you go, also reduced the size so they load faster.6234562346

rmock
05-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Really nice work!!

Smoken D
05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Another WOW FACTOR! Excellent job!

ronboley
05-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks for straightening out the pictures...I take these with my iphone and it seems to have a mind of it's own...the pictures look ok when I download them and then flip around in the post...just a monkey pushing buttons....I'll eventually post the carve patterns in the pattern sharing area if anyone is interested in using them. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to put a curved piece into my carving machine to carve the leave edge pattern on the curved back of the top of the chair back...looks like it takes a "rack and pinion" dual sled to do it and stay within the machine parameters....stay tuned...

ronboley
05-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Here's the prototype chair so far...still some tweeking to go...the carving along the top of the back is the same pattern as the table edge...This basic chair is an unassemlbed, unfinished mission style chair available thru "American Unfinished Furnature" made in Vietnam from Para Wood (hardwood from rubber trees beyond their rubber producing years). The back slats and top are removed from the basic chair and the top, back and arms are added/carved from Poplar Wood. Now to build 12 "production" chairs...sorry, still can't get the downloader to keep the pictures right side up...

mtylerfl
05-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Getting better and better! I love the chair customization you are doing!

CNC Carver
05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Very nice work.

ronboley
07-31-2013, 06:01 PM
OK so I haven't made any progress on the chairs except to have the dozen unfinished chairs shipped to me and I obtained some nice poplar for the chair carving pieces. I've been busy with (don't cringe) metal working projects. The fabrication and installation of the rolling gate with operator, keypads, intercom and cameras took 6 weeks. The ATV loader took 3 days. Now on to the chairs....

zan29
08-01-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm impressed! Just beautiful!

CNC Carver
08-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Nice work. I'm sure you have a beatiful view from up there.

ronboley
10-18-2013, 07:20 PM
An update on the dinning room chairs (12)....since I vented in another thread about the regular problems with the carvewright machine I should mention that since that venting I've carved 30 pieces for the chairs, about 80 hours of carving, and have had no real problems. I did convert to the carve tight spindle and invested in two new bits which I sharpen regularly. Anyway I got all of the carving done for the 12 chairs and about to begin the sawing, routing and fitting of the pieces. The accompanying picture may be upside down...I still don't know how to correct that in the post.

CNC Carver
10-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Good progress glad not trouble.

fwharris
10-18-2013, 08:19 PM
I rotated your image.

edit: Will I did really!!! After loading the pdf if you go to view and rotate you can get it up right.. It must be some thing in how the pdf is loaded here.. HMMM

Capt Bruce
10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
A truly impressive project overall and we admire your stamina in keeping it going despite other distractions. Glad to know the CW is holding up and the CT spindle made a difference. I'd be curious to know how you sharpen the carving bits having run a few experiments. Perhaps we could compare notes on what works for you and what doesn't. we'll await the grand seating when it's all finished.

jaroot
10-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Wow! What an undertaking. Looks Great!

ronboley
12-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Merry Xmas everyone. The dinning table and chairs project is finally done. The twelve chairs (yes that's twelve) are constructed from parawood unfinished chair frames with carved top, back arms and arm supports of 7/4 poplar added. The chair tops are CW carved with modified patterns from the original table edge detail. The backs are CW carved with acorn, oak leaf, pine cone and moose decoration along with year and name then dished out on the front side with a router mounted in a custom jig. The arm supports are carved with acorn and oak leaf decoration. All are sanded then stained and finished with "early American" stain as on the table and layers of sprayed and brushed satin polyurethane. For those who are considering taking on a project like this beware...the rebuilt, extended and modified table took approximately 250 man hours (me only of course) in a six week time period. The chairs took approximately 340 man hours (also me only) over four months time. The CW machine has 184 hours on the cut motor and 17 scan probe hours all for this project. So now planning the next project...smaller of course...

CW-HAL9000
12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Wow, what a project! This will be a family heirloom to be cherished in future generations.

bergerud
12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
You should be on the cover of CW magazine! Amazing.

fwharris
12-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Outstanding project and craftsmanship!

mtylerfl
12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Congratulations, Ron, for a job VERY well done!

Geomoo1
12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Fantastic! A job beautifully and lovingly done. You will be remembered for generations in your family for such a work of art.

blhutchens
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Awesome build and finish !!! Old world craftsmanship !!!

aokweld101
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
OK so I haven't made any progress on the chairs except to have the dozen unfinished chairs shipped to me and I obtained some nice poplar for the chair carving pieces. I've been busy with (don't cringe) metal working projects. The fabrication and installation of the rolling gate with operator, keypads, intercom and cameras took 6 weeks. The ATV loader took 3 days. Now on to the chairs....

Just wanted to say there isn't anything wrong with metal work I've done it 32 years and made a pretty good living at it... Very good on your project you are going to make a very good woodworker ...(cringe)....lol ;)

blhutchens
12-15-2013, 10:19 PM
You should be on the cover of CW magazine! Amazing.

CW magazine? I thought Miss Carvewright would be there!!

Capt Bruce
12-16-2013, 07:36 PM
What a testament to your family, your perseverance and craftsmanship. Truly impressive and we really appreciate seeing it through each stage. Thanks for walking us along for the journey and my congratulations all around.

ronboley
04-06-2014, 04:25 PM
These are the patterns I scanned from the original 1890's table and used in my project. They are of course hand carved objects with 100 years of wear. For my purposes they were fine as I was matching the original table. But if anyone wants to carve an "antique" feel free to go for it!

Cheers!

ronboley
04-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Rest of the patterns.

CW-HAL9000
04-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Great scans, did you have to spend a lot of time in pattern editor on these? I have the probe but have yet to use it. A shame, I know. Just have not had the time or need.

ronboley
04-07-2014, 03:41 PM
It didn't take a lot of time with the pattern editor to clean up the scans...BUT it does depend on how well you set up your scan...and not get a lot of extra area or stuff you don't want...you edit out the background area and blemishes....I found the blending tool useful to clean up the small blemishes and smooth over rough areas.

I did spend a lot of time on one scan trying to make it perfect...only to become aware that a perfectly smooth carve wasn't what I was trying to achieve on the antique table. Try the probe out...it's pretty easy (I DID IT) and with some patience you can edit it to just about anything you want. I did scan in (paint brush and) paint brush bristles, edited the bristles so they actually carve to look like bristles...

RogerB
04-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Thank you for sharing your patterns and nice job on the table's .