PDA

View Full Version : Y Axes Stall issues

countrygirl
05-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I have the C version machine and it has about 200 hours on it. I haven't carved out anything for about a month and it was working fine when i put it away. Got it out today and blew the dust off went to carve and it cut all the way over to the key pad side off the board and i got a code for y axes stall could comeone please help me thank you

fwharris
05-04-2013, 01:16 PM
I would start out by doing the user tests, 0,8 on the keypad to see if you get any errors. Also reformat your card.

bergerud
05-04-2013, 01:33 PM
You should post the .mpc you were trying to carve when the stall happened. It could just be a dull bit in combination with a deep plunge in the carving.

With the machine off, check (by hand) if the carriage glides smoothly back and forth. If it is stiff or lumpy, it is probably the y rollers or dirty rails.

You could also have the worn out y bearings in the motor pack problem which can happen around 250 hours.

chief2007
05-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Try cleaning rails and also be aware that you are getting close to the 250 hour maintenance cycle. Depending on what you have been carving, sometimes you need to bump up to the 200 hour mark.

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
My vote is one of the Roller Bearings has frozen with dust AND the Gear Box Bearings are toast...

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

Replace them 2 at a time.:lol:

AL

gashawk
05-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm having similar problems with the Y and Z truck bearings. The machine is in an unheated garage and I think the bearings are drawing moister from temperature change.
Are the eight bearings hard to change? I can't seem to get them loose.

bergerud
05-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Do you mean you cannot spin them or you cannot undo them? It is possible, I think, that the bearings can get rusty. Getting them off can be tough since the threads have Loctite on them.

gashawk
05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Both, bergerud.

bergerud
05-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Do you have the thin 12mm wrench to turn the roller nuts? Can you get the truck or carriage off?

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
In my opinion cleaning or flushing the roller rail bearings is the first step. Cover the surrounding area with plastic and rags and use a cleaner like WD-40 to flush out the roller rail bearings of dust. It has been my experience that the dust gets inside the bearing and moisture causes the dust to get sticky or hard causing the bearings to stick. Use EXTREME care with the WD-40 and try to prevent it from dripping on un wanted areas especially down into the wood dust where it could cause a FIRE. And properly dispose of the oil soaked rags to prevent spontaneous combustion. And be aware that WD-40 on wood will prevent the stain or finish from soaking in, sometimes called Bird's Eyes.

As for loosening them... A Quality Screwdriver or you can strip the heads. In the early machines like I have, the screws were soft and I would drill the heads out to remove them then use a pair of vice grips and a small torch to heat the stud and get the lock tite loose without destroying the bearing seal.

And look for the procedure on replacing the bearings and how one set is drilled off center to be turned to close upon the rails.

Good Luck,

AL

gashawk
05-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Yes,I have the wrench and take the trucks off and soak the bearings with Molly lube. I have and old z truck that I can't remove the bearings. I have drilled one loose but am not satisfied with that.

bergerud
05-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Here is the method I used to undo the screws. This method can work even if you have already mashed the screws. Remember to to turn the nut not the screw.

gashawk
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks bergerud, i'll try that, hope I haven't stripped them to much.

liquidguitars
05-05-2013, 02:45 PM
I remove the truck and soak the bearings with wD40 and air blast them. If i can't free the bearing I place the truck in a vice " top up" and drill out the screw head.