PDA

View Full Version : This Project is all Tom's fault....

SharonB
05-03-2013, 08:43 PM
When Tom posted his Fairy Doors I told myself I needed one for my yard. I carved two different ones but the one with flower decorations was out the shop door before I could sand it or get a picture. I'm going to put this one out in the garden before any more company comes.62124

aokweld101
05-03-2013, 08:55 PM
hey Sharon, nice job again, smack him in the back of the head like gibbs does on ncis.

mtylerfl
05-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Super job, Sharon! What a nice project!!

rcdages
05-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Way to go Sharon................Like it I do..

fwharris
05-03-2013, 11:34 PM
I am sure Tom will take all of the blame ;) on this one Sharon! Great job!

These and the wood spirits have been on my long list for a long time and with Tom's and now your addition I think it has move up a few steps on the ladder..

SharonB
05-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. Just as soon as I get back home, from a weekend away, I will have one or two more on the drawing board. With summer just around the corner these will look nice in any garden.

easybuilt
05-04-2013, 01:43 AM
That Fairy door is awesome Sharon! I am glad I sparked your imagination. I can't wait to see what's on your drawing board. Don't forget to share the ideas, I need a new challenge. People love these, I have sold 8 of them.

henry1
05-04-2013, 04:43 AM
When Tom posted his Fairy Doors I told myself I needed one for my yard. I carved two different ones but the one with flower decorations was out the shop door before I could sand it or get a picture. I'm going to put this one out in the garden before any more company comes.62124
Were did you get that pattern I will buy it if have too very very nice Sharon need one for my back yard

Smoken D
05-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks Sharon, made me smile this morning:D

ladjr
05-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Nice job Sharon.

SharonB
05-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Henry... if you or anyone else wants the file to the Fairy Door(s) send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Even with it zipped the file is to large for the forum.

SharonB
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks for everyone that wanted the Fairy Door pattern. Looks like there is trouble in the Fairy world as the pattern has components using the Puff Tool... thus making it unusable by those that doesn't have this software. I will work on redoing the project without the Puffing and re-send to those that requested the pattern. PO MAIL BOX IS NO LONGER FULL ... RETURN IF YOU DID NOT GET THROUGH THE FIRST TIME.

SharonB
05-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Will the gentleman in Kodiak, AK contact me again. I can not get the patterns to go through with the e-mail address you gave me. Sharon

easybuilt
05-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Sharon I just sent you Ambrose's email address.

lawrence
05-09-2013, 08:13 AM
how did I miss this? Great carving (and EXCELLENT finish as usual, Sharon)

Lawrence

henry1
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Henry... if you or anyone else wants the file to the Fairy Door(s) send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Even with it zipped the file is to large for the forum.
SharonB you have a private message

SharonB
05-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Ok gang .... I know I need to quit doing computer work at midnight and expect it to be right. For those requesting the Fairy Door patterns and you received the Puffed patterns when you needed No Puff let me know. I have several different files and I think I sent the wrong ones to several different people. For those that got the right files I hope your carving turned out great.

easybuilt
05-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks Sharon for all your help. I will have mine done Sunday and I will post it.

SharonB
05-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Will the gentleman with an e-mail address: my68....... please send me a private message. My e-mail to you keeps coming back.

Capt Bruce
07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Hello Sharon,

My thanks again for your kindness in sharing the MPCs of your Fairy Doors. Very kind of you.

I finally had a chance to carve one for my Love but like yours it didn't last long at our place before it was admired and sold and generated three more orders during my wife's Bunco party. I did manage to at least get a few photos so I thought I'd share. Time for more carving I guess.

63347 63348 63349

And the Golden Iridescent Pearl in this case worked beautifully even under Spar Varnish. Thanks again for this great design inspiration Sharon.

liquidguitars
07-03-2013, 08:52 PM
nice work you guys!

Underdog
07-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Great job on this Sharon, and thanks for sharing with us.

What a great idea... I can't seem to find the pictures of Tom's doors though, anyone have a link?

easybuilt
07-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Nice job Capt Bruce! Quality work will cause you to repeat your skills my friend. Here are some of the one's I made but nearly the quality of Sharon's.

SharonB
07-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Capt. Bruce I'm very impressed on how your Fairy Door turned out. Thanks for letting us see how the fairies in Georgia live ;). And Tom, you must have lots of fairies running around the woods of Washington.

I mentioned earlier that I use the clear Fusion spray on my fair door. I don't know if I didn't get good enough coverage with 4 light coats but it did not hold up all that good. The door is back in the shop and I'm trying to figure out what I put over the top of the Fusion.

Later I did another fairy door from a scrap of wood that had hard/soft areas. I am not to happy with it and will probably do it again sometime but here is what this one looks like....

Proctorw
07-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Capt. Bruce. Nice Job. What type of paints did you use? The only paints I am familiar with is those that goes on walls... ;) I need to upgrade my artistic talents, so any information on the paints/techniques is appreciated. I have the pattern from Sharon, but haven't carved it since I am not sure what to use on the doors.

Thanks,
Wayne.

Capt Bruce
07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your kind compliments All,

Tom and Sharon, you have both been busy and I like your designs for more inspiration. A casual search on the internet shows there is a whole untapped market out there for Fairy Garden accessories. Patio furniture, gazebos, fences and garden tools all in miniature scale.

Sharon, I love the Tea House. Not sure a dive Bar would work in that setting but you never know your audience . . .

This door was an easy carve with Sharon's fine design and now I've got to try the second design version with the hinges in two carvings. I should also add that the flowers and grape vines are from VC3D as overlaid patterns. Because the pattern has two laminated layers I was able to drill into the base for two removable pointed 6" long 5/8" dowels should the owner wish to plant it free standing on the ground in front of a pot or bush.

63364 63365

As a sailor of many years I've come to trust marine grade Spar Varnish as my go-to outdoor finish for both weather resistance, UV blocking to protect wood and resist color fading. We'll see over time how it does on these bright colors. Lawrence kindly recommended Epifanes (? sp) spar varnish and I have to get some and try it as I'm getting more and more outdoor item requests. Cabots has worked well for me to date.

Proctorw, I used Academy brand acrylic colors (Michaels or most art and craft stores) for the flowers, leaves and vines on this project. All were painted over the three different wood tones (Minwax Golden Oak, Red Oak and Golden Pecan stains) on these parts carved in one board of common pine from Lowes. Then two coats of spar varnish over everything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.