PDA

View Full Version : Favorites file size

SteveNelson46
05-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problems as I am having with trying to reduce the size of the favorites.mpn file. We all know that if the favorites file size gets too large the Designer program has strange behavioral problems and mine is currently just over 108 megs so I decided to make a backup and delete some of the patterns. I deleted more than half of them but, the problem is that Windows file manager is still reporting the file to be over 108 megs. I've uninstalled, re-installed, restarted and tried the same procedure with different backups of the favorites.mpn file with the same results. Anyone else having the same problem? BTW, LHR tech support is "looking into the problem".

lynnfrwd
05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Steve try this.

Close Project Designer software. Go to C://documents & settings/yourusername/carvewright and take your favorites.mpn file OUT of that path. (put it on your desktop or somewhere) Then opened Project Designer. It SHOULD create a new favorites folder without all of your patterns and a smaller size.

Your "file cabinet" (favorites.mpn file), as Joseph put it, will remain the same size even after you take the items (patterns) out of it.

SteveNelson46
05-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Connie,

I did that while Joseph and I were on the phone. Previous versions allowed us to open two favorites files at the same time and move patterns between them and then close one of them. The file size was also reduced when you removed patterns. It's a real PITA if we have to start with a new blank favorites.mpn and import everything that we need to use on a regular basis just to reduce the file size to make the Designer stable. I hope they plan to "fix" this in the next release. Rant, Rant, Rant...

lynnfrwd
05-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Send me the out.txt file located in the same place. What do you mean by unstable? What is it doing? What operating system? Did you install and run with Run As Administrator, if windows vista, 7 or 8? Is it windows 7 with 64 bit? Did you try the license cleaner under Registration > Troubleshooting installation? Did you try turning off graphic accelerator?

Sssshhwweew....and I do this about 10 times a day. Thank you Windows!!

"buy a Mac"!

I don't think it is the size of the file, so much as it is multiple (like 5 or more) copies of the favorites files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveNelson46
05-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Okay, Let me address each of the issues. First, I am running 64 bit Windows 8 on an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard with 32 gb of memory and an intel I7 3930 processor.. My graphics card is a Sapphire 7850 with 2 GB memory. The latest drivers are installed for everything. Nothing is overclocked. Windows 8 will reboot in 15 to 20 seconds. I built the system myself and I doubt any MAC on the market can come close to this horsepower without being cost prohibitive and I am not experiencing any problems in any other programs. Joseph and I went through each item on your list and determined that the file size behavior is not consistent with previous versions. I'm not sure what you mean by an "out.txt" file. I've never seen or even heard of it. I am not having an issue with licensing or registration so I didn't see any need to run the cleaner. Unstable means a random error message of "gui.exe has stopped working" and forces an unexpected close of the program when the favorites.mpn file exceeds 100 mb.

lynnfrwd
05-04-2013, 09:18 AM
So, if you remove your favorites.mpn out of the path so carvewright can't see it (put on your desktop for now to test), then open designer, it should create its own new favorites.mpn with no patterns in it. Work with it a while and see if u still get the GUI crash.

SteveNelson46
05-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Connie,

I'll give it a try

badbert
05-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow Steve sounds like a serious piece of Hardware! I just wanted to chime in, my favorites.mpn is currently at 367mb and I have never had a problem. I am running an old quad core athlon, with win7 Ult. and 3 gb memory.

SteveNelson46
05-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Badbert

The gui crash happens only occasionally and mostly when I'm using the 3D tools although, there are other times. I'm going to follow Connie's advice and see what happens.

bergerud
05-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Badbert

The gui crash happens only occasionally and mostly when I'm using the 3D tools although, there are other times. I'm going to follow Connie's advice and see what happens.

I have had many crashes while using the 3D tools both with 1.186 and 1.187. Maybe it is not your computer. I just save often when using 3D tools.

lynnfrwd
05-04-2013, 11:42 AM
It's my understanding that the out.txt file is created when there is a GUI crash. It should be located in the same folder as the favorite file. I don't have my cheat notes with me to see what it means. So will have to be Monday. One solution is to turn off your 3d graphic acceleration in designer. Not sure, but I think it is under Edit > Preferences > 3d Graphics.

lynnfrwd
05-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I think if that resolves the issue, u are to look to see if there is a new driver for your graphics. (can't be positive without looking, but I think I'm right)
May or may not be ur issue.