PDA

View Full Version : "Everyone's a Winner" Contest

lynnfrwd
05-03-2013, 01:42 PM
All CarveWright customers are invited to participate in our

“Everyone’s A Winner” Contest
The best representation of our products come from our customers and their own creativity. We need to replenish our sample projects for demonstrations, trade shows & facility tours with new pieces that show off the machine & software’s capabilities. So this year, we have decided to go straight to the source… YOU, our customers.
We hope you enjoy this contest, where Everyone’s A Winner.

Contest Prizes:

All entrants will receive a $10 gift certificate
4th-8th Place Winners receive a $25 gift certificate
3rd Place Winner receives a $300 gift certificate
2nd Place Winner receives a $500 gift certificate
GRAND PRIZE WINNER receives a $1,000 gift certificate
Projects should show off the machine and software’s capabilities, as well as your own creativity and craftsmanship. This is an open category contest, so there are no restrictions to what you can make. Consider portability of the project, as they will need to be shipped to CarveWright and transported to multiple events through out the year.
All project entries will be retained by LHR for demonstrations, trade shows & facility tours. They will also be posted on our community forum and may be used in our advertising.
Entries must include the following information:

Customer Name and CarveWright Community Forum (http://forum.carvewright.com/forum.php) username
Carving quality settings and carving times
Description of materials used for construction and finish
Software used to design the project
Photos and/or videos of the finished project
Contest Deadlines:
Photos and/or videos of completed project entries that will be displayed on the CarveWright Community Forum must be received by Wednesday, June 5th, 2013.
Actual projects will need to arrive at LHR no later than Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 for display at the 2013 CarveWright Conference. All shipped entries MUST arrive on or prior to this date to participate in the contest.
Attendees of the conference that are also participating in the contest may bring their entries with them Thursday morning, but you must submit a photo of the completed project by the June 5th deadline. Please let us know, if you plan to bring your project.
Voting will be conducted at the 2013 Conference and determined by the conference attendees & staff. Winners will be announced on Saturday, June 15th, 2013.
Gift certificates are only for the CarveWright online store.
ONE CONTEST ENTRY PER CUSTOMER

TerryT
05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Cool! Can't wait!

fwharris
05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Details soon.

How soon? :D

lynnfrwd
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigtyme
05-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Sounds pretty cool.... Can't wait for details....

lynnfrwd
05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/2013-carvewright-conference/everyones-a-winner-carvewright-contest/

(http://www.carvewright.com/2013-carvewright-conference/everyones-a-winner-carvewright-contest/)

fwharris
05-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a fun one!!!

CNC Carver
05-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Need to add link to this on Home page. I found it on accident. I wouldn't want others to miss out on an opporunity to show case there work.

bergerud
05-07-2013, 04:21 PM
We need to know up front; will LG be entering the contest???

lynnfrwd
05-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I guess that is a question for LG.

bergerud
05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I guess that is a question for LG.

It really was (is) a question for LG.

rcdages
05-08-2013, 11:29 AM
How many of you are going to jump in to the Conference Contest ??????????

I am going to give it a shot myself, win or not it will be a project to show off the CarveWright
projects at showes.

DickB
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm in. Is this too much of a hint? Or not enough of a hint?

bergerud
05-12-2013, 07:36 PM
You better hurry up, time is ticking...

DickB
05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Oops - too much.

lynnfrwd
05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't necessarily need to know what your project will be, as I'm sure many of you will want to keep it a surprise, but I sure would like to know who is participating in the competition.

DickB
05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
No secrets here. I've been working on a new clock design on and off for some time now. The contest is good motivation to get it done. I have been using 1/4" Baltic birch plywood for the wheels (larger gears) on other clocks, but on this clock I want to use hardwood and give the wheels some 3D features. The wheel blanks are made from 7/16" oak cut into wedges and assembled to prevent warping. The clock will have five wheels similar to this one. I'm using pierced carving inside the wheels which makes more sawdust but avoids tabs and takes very little extra machine time.

rcdages
05-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Who is participating in the contest ???????????????

cestout
05-14-2013, 04:18 PM
No way I can compete with DickB or LG, so I will shoot for the booby prize. If I get it done satisfactorily, it will demonstrate what the bare bones machine can do with only the carving bit (cutting bit is no longer standard issue) and the basic Designer software with no use of add-ons and 2 patterns from the pattern store (mine of course). It is based on a late 1700 European wood working concept shown to me by Roy Underhill.

mtylerfl
05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
The cool thing is - everybody wins something and we'll all get to enjoy seeing the projects!

Never, ever compare yourself to others, but enjoy your own innovations. Compare yourself only to yourself.

- This is how good I am today.
- I am better than I was yesterday.
- I will be better tomorrow.

tierman
05-15-2013, 06:03 AM
I am not going to be able to make the convention this year but I am going to submit one of my slabs to the contest. Just have to make the time to get-ur-dun! I think my status will be more in line with participating and not competing.

rcdages
05-15-2013, 09:13 AM
The cool thing is - everybody wins something and we'll all get to enjoy seeing the projects!

Never, ever compare yourself to others, but enjoy your own innovations. Compare yourself only to yourself.

- This is how good I am today.
- I am better than I was yesterday.
- I will be better tomorrow.

Michael,

Very eloquently stated...............

bergerud
05-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I was wondering about the projects submitted to the contest.

"All project entries will be retained by LHR for demonstrations, trade shows & facility tours. They will also be posted on our community forum and may be used in our advertising."

Will the projects ever be returned to the participants? Kept for a year or kept forever? If the projects are never returned, the entries will be limited to smaller, more trivial projects I would think. This point may need to be made clear. (I saw no reference to returning. Did I miss something?)

rcdages
05-15-2013, 09:36 AM
tierman,

Sorry to hear you will not make it down this year.

Had hope to see you this year and have some coffee togeather.

lynnfrwd
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
These entries are to become part of our demonstration materials to show potential customers what can be done with the machine. A lot of what we take to shows is about 5 years old. These pieces have been ALL OVER the US and many are broken or they grew legs and walked away. We simply DO NOT have the staff to build these ourselves and need to replenish our supply.

How many years has everyone been asking for a CarveWright Contest? We finally got approval and if you add up the prize winnings, it's a pretty hefty amount. Now, I'm thinking we should have spread out the prize money a little bit more. We could have just as easily gone straight to our customers and purchased the items we wanted. Whether we do this again in the future is going to largely depend upon the response. Frankly, I'm worried.

rcdages
05-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Connie,

You need to know I have one in the works for the contest.

DickB
05-15-2013, 11:52 AM
First thanks Connie, I really like the contest idea and thanks for sponsoring it. For me the prize distribution as is was incentive to me to enter a more complex project. I read and understood that the projects would be kept by LHR. I'm building a clock nonetheless. This should be my best clock yet. When completed, this one would retail for about $500, in line with the contest's top prizes. But of course it will be LHR's win or not. Wait - everyone is a winner in this contest!

Back to my project, wheels are nearly done. Pinions are being cut right now. I need to get more wood this afternoon!

pkunk
05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
I can't enter as my machine is qwerky and needs a rebuild I can't afford.

DickB
05-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Lots of gears.

62360 62361

lynnfrwd
05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
DON'T LET DICK INTIMIDATE YOU!!

We need regular people's projects, too.

LOL!

(Remember, voting will be done by conference attendees & LHR staff.)

bjbethke
05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Lots of gears.

62360 62361What is that thing good for?

DickB
05-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Ha! I guess that makes me "irregular"! Sure would like to see some other projects underway.

Didn't think I'd get the face done, but I did. Pendulum, pawls, and base (back) are next. Since this is a wall clock, I suppose I will need to make a display "wall" too.

DickB
05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
What is that thing good for?
Guts of a clock. Will look something like this:

pkunk
05-17-2013, 09:10 PM
I think this thread has gone 'off topic' gentlemen. Let it resume, please.

DickB
05-17-2013, 10:19 PM
? The topic is the contest. I'm posting about my entry.

DickB
05-21-2013, 11:57 AM
The front portion of my entry is done.

The second hand shaft rides on bearings front and back, and actually passes through the center of the minute hand shaft without touching it. This allows the ratchet wheel and second hand shaft to spin with very little friction. The rest of the arbors ride on brass bushings, just brass tubes one size smaller than the arbors. This construction keeps the mechanism virtually effortless to turn, so that the relatively weak electromagnetic pendulum can keep it moving.

62443 62444

SharonB
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Dick... that is going to be a terrific entry into the contest. How many different kinds of wood have you incorporated into this design? What is your power source going to be?

DickB
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Sharon, I used maple for the pinions and frame, oak wheels, pine face, and walnut hands. The base (back) will be mahogany. Power will come from batteries driving an electromagnet, very much like the mystery Clock.

TerryT
05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Very nice Dick, that must have taken quite a bit of time.

DickB
05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks Terry. I don't keep track of time very well, but I've probably got 25 hours into it so far.

Sharon, I hope we see one of your fine projects entered - a 3D one perhaps?

DickB
05-24-2013, 10:03 AM
I just got my clock assembled and running yesterday. The back is not quite complete; it will accommodate the 4 D cells needed to run the clock. For now I am using a power supply. The square bob is just for test purposes. Now I need to disassemble it and finish it with lacquer. I think I will need to build some sort of display case with a "wall" and removable panels to make it easier to ship the clock without damage and display it.

Help me come up with a name for this clock!

http://youtu.be/7rl3De1Lj50

fwharris
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
DickB,

Awesome job sir! Looking forward to seeing it in person!!

mtylerfl
05-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Help me come up with a name for this clock!

Very, very cool clock!!

Name idea: "The Bravura Ticker"

bergerud
05-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Maybe I can start the pendulum swinging: The "Wright Time Clock"? TimeWright Clock? Wright Clock?

Edit: Opps, pendulum already swinging. Now my names sound dumb!

daverod59
05-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi lynnfrwd. A little confused on how to enter my photos into the "Everyone's a Winner" contest. I haven't been a forum user for very long but I built a kitchen using my carvewright machine for accents and wanted to enter the contest. The photos are already on the forum website, how do I transfer them to the contest?
Thanks,
Dave Hebert

bergerud
05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I do not think you can enter your kitchen because you would have to send it in. They need to keep the projects for future shows.

Anyway, enter pictures at the bottom of the page:

http://www.carvewright.com/2013-carvewright-conference/everyones-a-winner-carvewright-contest/

mtylerfl
05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi lynnfrwd. A little confused on how to enter my photos into the "Everyone's a Winner" contest. I haven't been a forum user for very long but I built a kitchen using my carvewright machine for accents and wanted to enter the contest. The photos are already on the forum website, how do I transfer them to the contest?
Thanks,
Dave Hebert

Along with a nice set of photos of the completed kitchen, you could carve an extra cabinet door, finish it like you did for the kitchen and send it in to CW or bring it to the conference. A sample like that would be a GREAT item to enter and for CW to display at the various shows around the country! What you did is very inspiring for those of us in the mood for a kitchen makeover!

DickB
05-25-2013, 03:49 PM
That's a great idea Michael. I agree, a lot of woodworkers would be interested in doing a kitchen like that, and it is an awsome project.

daverod59
05-26-2013, 02:35 AM
Sounds like a plan Michael. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave H.

peep
05-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Call it the

Die fantastische geckige Uhr

German names go with clocks :rolleyes:

SharonB
05-29-2013, 07:44 PM
62619 Nothing fancy... but this will be my entry into the contest. My other project will not be done in time to enter the contest. Sure wish I was attending this years conference. Hope those that do attend have as much fun as I've had the last two years. See everyone next year... God willing.

lynnfrwd
05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm starting to get several more entries. My faith is restored.

rcdages
05-30-2013, 08:03 AM
SharonB,

What a wonderful looking entry. So colorful.

Sorry to read that your not going to make it this year to the conference.
Always look forward to seeing and visting with you.

Stay in touch.

God Bless.

SharonB
05-31-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks Robert.... I will sorely miss having the opportunity to visit with everyone this year or to learn all the new techniques that will be presented at the conference. Just have a good time and I'll look forward to seeing what you carve after learning all that new knowledge.

rcdages
05-31-2013, 09:34 AM
SharonB,

You will be missed this year or for that matter any year that you would not be at the conference.

To me your talent for design and your painting technique has inspired me and I am sure many
many others of our CarveWright family.

DickB
05-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Sharon, I think that is the best painting you have shown us yet!

To make sure my entry travels safely, I just finished this shipping container that holds the clock and pendulum securely. The container will hopefully fit into a cardboard box with some foam padding. As this is a wall clock, I also built a stand for it so that it can be more easily displayed.

I've started making a video to explain some of the design and build techniques, which should be completed by the June 5th deadline.

rcdages
05-31-2013, 12:03 PM
DickB,

The clock looks great.

I am sure it will be a winner...................

Bigtyme
05-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Sharon and DickB....
Both projects are very impressive. Great job!!

DickB
05-31-2013, 12:31 PM
I am sure it will be a winner...................Of course - Everyone's a winner!

SharonB
05-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Dick... the box is almost as impressive as the clock. Looks like the clock should travel fairly well. I keep saying I have to make one of your clocks and maybe this winter I'll have the time to do it.

DickB
05-31-2013, 06:37 PM
The box is one project that I made with no help from my Carvewright. Although I use my Carvewright a lot, I do other woodworking as well. I will probably make a few tweaks to the design of this clock to make it a bit easier to build, but I hope to get it into the Pattern Depot as a project at some point. So that means I will need to build another one. I also have an idea for a variant that I hope to develop sometime.

DickB
06-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Here is my video submission:

http://youtu.be/bJhiP7XDl0Y

henry1
06-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Nice one dickB its tempting me to buy it but carvewright doesn't do Pay Pal

robboz4
06-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Agony!My cut motor ceased during the carving of my entry! I'm going to follow the trouble shooting guide this afternoon and perhaps I can get it back running. I know the sensor is working, but it looks like no power to the motor. I have attached a shot of the first piece of the carving I completed. I was doing a trial run with a pine plank and some of the detail chipped off. I was redoing the design and cutting out the second piece when the motor stopped. I'll post more when I've completed the troubleshooting and explain what I may or may not be entering.

robboz4
06-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Agony!My cut motor ceased during the carving of my entry! I'm going to follow the trouble shooting guide this afternoon and perhaps I can get it back running. I know the sensor is working, but it looks like no power to the motor. I have attached a shot of the first piece of the carving I completed. I was doing a trial run with a pine plank and some of the detail chipped off. I was redoing the design and cutting out the second piece when the motor stopped. I'll post more when I've completed the troubleshooting and explain what I may or may not be entering.

No joy I'm afraid. I got to the end of the trouble shooting where it says contact support. The image below is what I was trying to carve on the machine. I'll post images once it's finished, but i think It will miss the show. :sad:

DickB
06-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Looks interesting! If I can be of help and carve a peice or two for you, let me know. There is still time for you to finish your project.

seathis
06-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Oh no! I hate that for you. And it looks so cool. please do post when you get it done.

robboz4
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Thank you for the offer, but I know you have your hands full with the clock entry. And would it be too tight to enter now. Good Luck with your entry!

tierman
06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
6267462675OK, like I said earlier in the posting, I am participating not competing. Here is my slab, it is Butternut, used the designer software, the duck patterns are from Norbert @ Vector Clip 3D, the CW machine was a shared file on the forum, and Centerline text was used. The slab had to be carved using a sled. I use General Finishes products exclusively. By the way, my buddy holding the slab, guards our door and he does not call 911 in an emergency. Oh yea, I forgot, I used best quality setting and carving time was 2 hr 48 min.

cestout
06-03-2013, 06:44 PM
My entry (book stand) should arrive at LHR tomorrow -USPS. The shipping ate up most of the $10 prize I am shooting for.

DickB
06-03-2013, 07:53 PM
My entry (book stand) should arrive at LHR tomorrow -USPS. The shipping ate up most of the $10 prize I am shooting for.
LOL. I just shipped mine, and I have to get at least 8th place to cover my shipping!

SharonB
06-03-2013, 11:31 PM
tierman.... your participating or competing entry is excellent. I like the whole concept from design to painting. I sure hope all the entries are posted later so those of us not in attendance will be able to view them.

tierman
06-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Sharon....Thank you very much. I had fun carving it and decorating it. I must tell you, between you and Doug Haffner, the two of you are great inspirations to novice painters like myself. I did take Haffners 3 day seminar last year and learned a lot from him. I will never be at your level but now I am not afraid to take on a challenge and have fun with it. I totally agree with you on the posting of all entrees after the contest.
tierman.... your participating or competing entry is excellent. I like the whole concept from design to painting. I sure hope all the entries are posted later so those of us not in attendance will be able to view them.

rcdages
06-04-2013, 08:44 AM
tierman,

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep thinking one day I will carve on a sliced slab as you have and never get to it.

You did an out standing job on the carving and finish, way to go my fellow carving brother.

I am sure you learned a lot at the 3 day seminar at Doug's.

Your 100% correct on the way SharonB and Doug do their painting.

tierman
06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Robert, Thank you much my friend, was looking forward to seeing you again at the convention but is just not working out. Too many conflicting dates this year. Hoping to make it next year though. Enjoy
tierman,

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep thinking one day I will carve on a sliced slab as you have and never get to it.

You did an out standing job on the carving and finish, way to go my fellow carving brother.

I am sure you learned a lot at the 3 day seminar at Doug's.

Your 100% correct on the way SharonB and Doug do their painting.

willc
06-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here is my entry for the contest. I have only had my carvewright since September 2012. I made this project out of popular, 2 pieces both 24"x5.5". The top, center and bottom rings were made form 1/2". The outer wrap was carved out of .25" on a carrier board. I used the Project designer software for all of my design and layout. Only took 1-1/2 hours on best to carve. For finishing I used a natural stain and a spray clear coat. The inside has some strips of felt at the top to hold a beverage can in place nicely. The one picture with the penny shows how thin the wrap was carved. Going to pack it up tonight to send out. Hope everyone likes the design.

Thanks,
Will

TerryT
06-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Very cool! I really like that! How hard was it to get a good joint where the ends of the wrap meet?

DickB
06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
That's very cool! What exactly did you wrap the wrap around?

lawrence
06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
quick question... can we send in something we carved in the past (along with pics etc of course) or does it have to be a project carved specifically for the contest.

I'm running out of time :)

Lawrence

fwharris
06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
quick question... can we send in something we carved in the past (along with pics etc of course) or does it have to be a project carved specifically for the contest.

I'm running out of time :)

Lawrence

Lawrence,

I don't see why not!!!

rcdages
06-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Go for it Lawrence.

lynnfrwd
06-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Only time stipulation is the deadlines.

SharonB
06-04-2013, 10:54 PM
willc..... now that is a way cool project. I can see lots of uses for the holder. LHR is going to have lots of new items to display once this contest is over with.

lynnfrwd
06-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Photo submission deadline is tomorrow!

We will accept those posted here or received via email to sales@carvewright.com by midnight central time.

fwharris
06-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Me entry into the contest:

Design was done by John Paluck http://www.carvepattern.com/ He will have the patterns available soon I bet. ;)

I converted the stl and dxf files with the importer tools plus did some editing on the "gone fishing" file in the pattern editor. John designed the project for 1/2" stock on all of the parts but the only 1/2" stock I used was for the "gone fishing" and the end and center panels. The fly top and bottom rod and real were done on 1" stock.

The carve was done on alder wood and stained with cherry. Paint was hobby acrylic and a clear lacquer over coat.

Carve times and settings:

Fly top - 4 hours optimal
Gone fishing - 2 1/2 hours optimal
Fly Rod bottom - 7 1/2 hours optimal
end and center panels cut out 20 minutes

I actually did two different carves on this. First was ok but had some issues. The first picture is the first try....

rcdages
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Really looks good Floyd,

John dose a great job with his PTN's.

Very nice all around job on carving and painting.

See you next week.

lawrence
06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
great projects all! My machine is (for the first time) in pieces right now and I am working to clear the (seized) y-truck bearings and hope to finish my carve today to take pics and send in (nothing like the last minute!) It's a simple carve but is a "test carve" for a batch that I'm going to be doing for a customer.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
06-05-2013, 10:08 AM
We are all rooting for you Lawrence. You can do it!

rcdages
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
62719 Ok all.
Here is the carving I am going to be putting in to the contest.

willc
06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Hi again everyone,

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments about the beverage/pen holder. I was really pleased with the way it turned out being so thin on the wrap. The seam actually turned out rather well. I still had to use a very small amount of wood filler at the seam. After carving the wrap I penciled in guide lines for the center brace and soaked it for 15 minutes or so and stated to shape it after the first 5 minutes. I was kind of surprised at how well it started to take shape. Once I felt I could work with it, I let dry out a bit and then used the center brace with glue to wrap the wrap around. Then I glued the top and bottom in and clamped it over night to dry.

Thanks again for all wonderful questions and comments.

Will C

JoeinWestMich
06-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Lawrence, Sorry for your down time. Hope you got it up and running. You are such a leader and innovator that it seems so sad you had this problem right when you needed it the least. I had an idea for the contest but my Carvewright C is down in Texas for a warranty repair that I could not do myself. I feel your pain. Good luck and thanks for everything you do on the forum.

lawrence
06-05-2013, 06:32 PM
If we had "sound o'vision" (or took the time to make a video) you would hear is my Carvewright humming away in the background....

It's not much of a project for the contest and is no where near as impressive as some here, but it's way to show folks how to make very quick award plaques that can be altered/created on the spot very quickly by using appliques and pre-carved and finished pieces.

Thanks for the support and encouragement guys- I almost gave up at one point but y'alls encouragement was really motivational for me (I put on the new top bearings with the adjustable nut facing inwards rather than outwards and didn't figure it out until I was "done" and the flex shaft was crooked (DOH)... at one point I also assembled the whole z truck upside down and didn't notice until I was reassembling it...(sigh) But it's working!

Lawrence

tierman
06-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Way to go Lawrence, we knew that you would "get ur done" . Also a very beautiful plaque Robert, well done as you always do.

TerryT
06-05-2013, 07:01 PM
62719 Ok all.
Here is the carving I am going to be putting in to the contest.

Beautiful Robert. Nicely done my friend.

aokweld101
06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
I've enjoyed the varity of projects that I have seen, I'm impressed at the different projects that are going to be presented. I would like to go to the show but as always its a money issue that stops me from going.

lynnfrwd
06-05-2013, 08:18 PM
TerryT - i was sure hoping for one of your beautiful cribbage boards. (deep sigh of disappointment inserted here)

TerryT
06-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for thinking of me Connie. Actually the thought never crossed my mind until an hour or so ago.

I thought I might post several pictures just incase (since it's the deadline tonight) I decided to do something. But, I'm trying to get some inventory built back up for the next craft show and I have some internet orders to get out, so I think I'll have to pass.

It would be very, very hard to compete with what I've already seen, anyway. Losts of great projects!

TerryT
06-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Lawrence, Sorry for your down time. Hope you got it up and running. You are such a leader and innovator that it seems so sad you had this problem right when you needed it the least. I had an idea for the contest but my Carvewright C is down in Texas for a warranty repair that I could not do myself. I feel your pain. Good luck and thanks for everything you do on the forum.
Joe, sorry to hear you are having problems with your machine. I have enjoyed seeing some of your work.

lawrence
06-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Man, you guys all did some great projects- sorry I haven't taken the time to comment (It's been a busy day!) but you guys' work is all incredible. It is great that LHR will have such great pieces to show off from
booths.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whew... submission sent... (with 25 minutes to spare!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaUYlBaf3Cw

Here's what I came up with... it's not anything revolutionary but the eagle is a pretty sweet pattern and it does show off the CW's capabilities to carve detail and shows how you can prep appliques in advance
and carve a plaque on the spot in about 30 minutes. This technique is great for fairs/short turn around situations. I should have called this carve "two times" because I had to carve both the eagle (I screwed up the finish on the first one) and the plaque (Y-axis error halfway through first carve... caused 6+ hour maintenance down time and was due to my not keeping on top of the maintenance) twice

I will be making 10 of these for an organization and this was the proof of concept carve.

The small square is for a 1x4 brass plate that will be added each year for the folks that receive the award.

Thanks for looking, and thanks again for all of the support,

Lawrence

lawrence
06-05-2013, 11:54 PM

sorry for yours too man- I do appreciate the kind words and wish your machine was up and running.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
06-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Man, you guys all did some great projects- sorry I haven't taken the time to comment (It's been a busy day!) but you guys' work is all incredible. It is great that LHR will have such great pieces to show off from
booths.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whew... submission sent... (with 25 minutes to spare!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaUYlBaf3Cw

Here's what I came up with... it's not anything revolutionary but the eagle is a pretty sweet pattern and it does show off the CW's capabilities to carve detail and shows how you can prep appliques in advance
and carve a plaque on the spot in about 30 minutes. This technique is great for fairs/short turn around situations. I should have called this carve "two times" because I had to carve both the eagle (I screwed up the finish on the first one) and the plaque (Y-axis error halfway through first carve... caused 6+ hour maintenance down time and was due to my not keeping on top of the maintenance) twice

I will be making 10 of these for an organization and this was the proof of concept carve.

The small square is for a 1x4 brass plate that will be added each year for the folks that receive the award.

Thanks for looking, and thanks again for all of the support,

Lawrence

And video to boot. Awesome!

DickB
06-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Great job and video Lawrence! I thought the antique finish looked cool.

rcdages
06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Oustanding Vido Lawrence

bergerud
06-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I beg to differ! Nice video, true. But in the context of a contest video for LHR to show - maybe not so good. If I were LHR, I would not want to show a video where the user had to tear his machine apart, drill out machine screws, and replace parts just to get the carving done. Great for us on the forum, but if I were you, I would edit it for the contest.

lawrence
06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
that's a great point- I hadn't thought about that and will do another video up showing a little more "success" - I didn't think that the videos were for the final shows - I thought they were for the judging only.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
These are for the contest. I can't guarantee that we will be able to show the videos at tradeshows.

bergerud
06-06-2013, 12:54 PM
You may be right. But voting by "Conference attendees and staff" seems like it might include potential customers. It cannot hurt to keep it positive.

DickB
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Connie asked me to email this information, so I thought I would post it here as well. (Does anyone know where to download Wolfie's Gradient Designer these days? His site is all but closed today.)

Dick Bipes
Contestant # : Dick Bipes - Synchronicity Clock
Forum Name: DickB

Materials, Quality Setting & Time:

6 wheels (large gears): oak, Best, 25 minutes each or 2.5 hours total
pinions: maple, Normal, 30 minutes
frame: maple,Normal, 12 minutes
face: pine, Normal, 1hr 18 minutes
bases (back): mahogany, Draft, 58 minutes
levers and pawls: oak, Normal, 10 minutes
pendulum: pine, Normal, 14 minutes
hands: walnut, Normal, 7 minutes
bob: hickory, Normal, 2 minutes
:
Software:

Radial Vector Generator by forum member JLT: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17794-Radial-Vector-Generator...&p=149795#post149795
ai2mpc by Jeffrey Litz: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?22824-ai2mpc-GUI&p=199689#post199689
Wolfie's Gradient Designer
Designer with Centerline Text option

lynnfrwd
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
I didn't really look at it as a total slam on CW, just that his maintenance was due and he was in a big hurry. Most of us on here won't take it too seriously, and I do appreciate that Lawrence can laugh at himself.

We will name this one "Ode to the Misadventures of Lawrence".

rcdages
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM
How many projects are in the contest ??????????

CNC Carver
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Cavallo added a link https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28082075/Gradient Designer.zip (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28082075/Gradient%20Designer.zip)

Not sure if it is the same as you used but gives spot for download.

Connie asked me to email this information, so I thought I would post it here as well. (Does anyone know where to download Wolfie's Gradient Designer these days? His site is all but closed today.)

Dick Bipes
Contestant # : Dick Bipes - Synchronicity Clock
Forum Name: DickB

Materials, Quality Setting & Time:

6 wheels (large gears): oak, Best, 25 minutes each or 2.5 hours total
pinions: maple, Normal, 30 minutes
frame: maple,Normal, 12 minutes
face: pine, Normal, 1hr 18 minutes
bases (back): mahogany, Draft, 58 minutes
levers and pawls: oak, Normal, 10 minutes
pendulum: pine, Normal, 14 minutes
hands: walnut, Normal, 7 minutes
bob: hickory, Normal, 2 minutes
:
Software:

Radial Vector Generator by forum member JLT: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17794-Radial-Vector-Generator...&p=149795#post149795
ai2mpc by Jeffrey Litz: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?22824-ai2mpc-GUI&p=199689#post199689
Wolfie's Gradient Designer
Designer with Centerline Text option

lynnfrwd
06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
How many projects are in the contest ??????????

12 contestants.

mtylerfl
06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
12 contestants.

Excellent! Can't wait to see all the entries in person!

lynnfrwd
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Sorry, only 11.

rcdages
06-06-2013, 04:06 PM
There now is 8 prizes now, is that correct?

Need to add 3 more...................

lawrence
06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I didn't really look at it as a total slam on CW, just that his maintenance was due and he was in a big hurry. Most of us on here won't take it too seriously, and I do appreciate that Lawrence can laugh at himself.

We will name this one "Ode to the Misadventures of Lawrence".

I redid the video without the "misadventures" :) - It was late last night and I didn't really give much thought to my audience

I comprehend that you guys took the first video in the spirit in which it was intended, but bergerud certainly has a point and here is another video just in case it is useful.

V/r
Lawrence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrLdtx9u8JE&feature=youtube_gdata

bergerud
06-06-2013, 07:15 PM
I did not mean to imply that it was a "total slam"! I just thought that it might not be appreciated by the marketing department. I think your new version will be appreciated. (I think Connie was being too nice.)

lynnfrwd
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Agreed. Much better. I did think last night it wasn't the best thing to hit YouTube, but it was humorous. We were pulling for u to complete it. Didn't expect a video too

peep
06-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I don't get my new machine till Monday. ;(.

Next time maybe

bergerud
06-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Should Lawrence's new video be part of his entree post?

lawrence
06-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm not worried about it one way or the other really- it didn't make the deadline and I just want to make sure that LHR gets the best possible promotional tools they can and that my project helps (even in a very small way) keep the Carvewright successful. Because I missed the deadline it may even be unfair by some if the video is considered (though I seriously doubt that it would make a difference in the final judging)

My only real regret is that I won't be at the conference to see all the other great projects. Mine is pretty simple, but hopefully it can show folks how you can get a quality carve with a fairly minimal machining time and can make an easily changable product that can sell well with very little material investment.

I've tweaked the eagle layout and feathering a bit and am currently carving them in batches of 3, nested with the grain running parallel to the Y-axis. This (IMHO) creates a higher-quality carve in less time. (I'm working on a 10-plaque order)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/P11406331024x768_zps57c78923.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/P11406331024x768_zps57c78923.jpg.html)

The carve time for the eagle is now down to under an hour each and batching them makes for less setup time (and less waste)

Lawrence

mtylerfl
06-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Looks great, Lawrence! The video is a plus...we all enjoy seeing videos, of course! Sorry I won't get to see you at this year's conference. Hopefully you will be able to attend next year.