PDA

View Full Version : 3 D extrude mode troubles

jrose
05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
I loved the fact that i was not going to have to guess the size, shape and radius of this kind of cut path anymore.  but i'm not getting the results i thought i would be with the software.  i make lots of jig and futures with my machine that i need a perfect radius cut into a board.  The extrude icon in the new 3d software should be the perfect fit for me, but i'm not able to get it to adjust for bit offset?  I use the 3/16 carving bit for most of the larger pieces and have even tried reducing the width of cut by the diameter of the bit.  [ATTACH]62119I would love to hear how you have worked around this problem.  

SteveNelson46
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Why do you have so many duplicates? I deleted them and flipped the cutpath on the top circle but, I'm not sure if this is what you want.

mtylerfl
05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Steve - The board is 1" thick, so the carve regions do not go the full depth of the board.

I have read and re-read the question and I'm just not understanding what the problem is. Slow brain cells today, I guess!

SteveNelson46
05-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Michael

I was editing while you were posting. I saw that the board was 1" thick and corrected my post

mtylerfl
05-03-2013, 03:08 PM
I loved the fact that i was not going to have to guess the size, shape and radius of this kind of cut path anymore.  but i'm not getting the results i thought i would be with the software.  i make lots of jig and futures with my machine that i need a perfect radius cut into a board.  The extrude icon in the new 3d software should be the perfect fit for me, but i'm not able to get it to adjust for bit offset?  I use the 3/16 carving bit for most of the larger pieces and have even tried reducing the width of cut by the diameter of the bit.  [ATTACH]62119I would love to hear how you have worked around this problem.  

Hi Joe,

I'm not noticing any direct responses to your post...perhaps other folks are having trouble understanding what you mean (as I am). Perhaps you could help us by describing the issue in a little more detail for us. (and see if you can eliminate all those strange "&nbsp" characters, too!)

bergerud
05-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I would love to hear how you have worked around this problem.

I think you only need to use bit optimization. Make the troughs exactly the size you want and then change bit optimization from none to best.

Bit optimization compensates for the fact that the tip of the bit is not a point. Normally, the tip of the bit follows the surface and the sides of the ball cut into the surface when it slopes up into the sides of the ball. With bit optimization, a new surface is calculated to compensate for the ball.

mtylerfl
05-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Oh, was he talking about the tapered carving bit?? Threw me way off when he said "bit offset". Made me think of the Cut Path and couldn't make sense of it (nor see any problem).

"Bit geometry" would have made sense to me (or 'taper of the carving bit' or something like that). Dang terminology gets in the way, I suppose.

Hopefully, the Bit Optimization is on the right track and a solution for the "problem".

jrose
05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Didn't think about that! Thanks. i'll give it a try

jrose
05-03-2013, 09:44 PM
In a hurry with copy and paste?

jrose
05-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I've already finished the project and do appreciate all the help getting ready for the next one.

bergerud
05-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Nice project. Don't forget, bit optimization!

mtylerfl
05-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I've already finished the project and do appreciate all the help getting ready for the next one.

That's a cool project!