PDA

View Full Version : MPC Download issue

Julie Coffey
02-09-2007, 01:35 AM
I had a catastrophe happen two days ago- I lost my hd to something(yes I have a anti-virus), it corrupted my zip drive back up and basically destroyed 100Megs of graphics. The extent of my loss still has not yet hit me but I did notice something since reformatting and coming back to this site- I can't load mpc files anymore.

Is there a setting I need to look at or any thoughts as to what could be going on.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Julie

Malfunction
02-09-2007, 04:35 AM
dang. sorry to hear about your hd loss :cry: . i lost mine about a year or so ago, so i can relate.

i have no idea about your mpc problem though.

BoardSilly
02-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I take it that you have reloaded the Designer software to your system. Do you by chance also run Microsoft Project at all? If you do, and you loaded it after you loaded the Designer software, it will change the MPC mapping. Microsoft Project uses the MPC file extension for "Microsoft Project Calendar" files. Irregardless, sound slike your extension mapping is not correct.

BTW: Corrupted Zip disks and hardrive can be recovered almost completely if they are still spinning.... I do it all the time in Forensic Investigations.

Julie Coffey
02-09-2007, 11:20 AM
My sons professor at school passed that along to me so I picked up a program that has done just that- but now instead of having 100mgs of nicely organized I can find in 5 seconds graphics. I have recovered folders one of gifs another of jpegs and one of tif's.

Two guesses what Julies going to be doing over the next 2-3 months in the evenings. Don't get me wrong I'm elated I got them back. Its just work I wasn't scheduling in. Know what I mean?

J

The only thing so far I can see that I havent gotten back are the files for the carvewright projects- darnit I had some nice elaborate ones too :(

HandTurnedMaple
02-09-2007, 12:33 PM
dang. sorry to hear about your hd loss :cry: . i lost mine about a year or so ago, so i can relate.

i have no idea about your mpc problem though.

Did you look inside the tower? That's where I usually find mine.

Julie Coffey
02-09-2007, 12:34 PM
:lol:

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Julie,

Sorry to hear about your crash. I have just been lucky. Did back ups about a month ago and my CD burner died on 5 of 6 CD's. Lucky it was only 2 screws under the laptop, pull the old one, move the rails, install and back up and running.

In the latest issue of Engravers Journal Magazine there is a great article on how and why you should back up your computer. I ordered a zip drive and USB hard drive this week. I am still recovering from my Christmas Sublimation printer problem. This will be money well spent.

AL

BobHill
02-11-2007, 08:17 AM
BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP .... you are on a computer, after all. And in this day and age of low cost super large hard drives (I remember paying $1000 for a 1mb hard card (not drive) on an early Epson Qx10 using a z80 processor). But then, unless you have your machine set to do that automatically, I don't know anyone with the discipline to do it manually often enough to control any possible damage from one going bummers (and my wife is constantly after me for the same thing ... hers are set to automatic).

Bob

BoardSilly
02-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't have that problem, all my files are stored on a 1TB RAID5 array. :lol:

Julie Coffey
02-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Sad thing was I had backed up- twice. I had initially transfered my files to my old computer via our network. And then had them back on zip drive. This particular Trojan messed with settings- the transfered files went no where and the zip drive corrupted.

Fortunately thanks to some good folks here and my sons college professor I was able to get ahold of some software that allowed the retrieval of probably 80% of what had been lost (100mgs worth) but it wiped their names so I'm left with 9000 gifs, and 87000-ish jpgs ina big pile I have to sort through, organise and cross reference.

Its all good Ijust have acouple of months to put it all back where I had it. And it gives me a chance to reaquaint myself and clean house a bit with everything.

J

BobHill
02-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I've got a Tb, but not in a RAIDS array. I could always have my wife put it onto hers, but I'd best not ask her about that one :wink:

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Got my remote Hard Drive and it is busy moving files now.

Julie, any idea where the problem came from?

AL

Julie Coffey
02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I don't know- the only thing I can think of is even though we have multiple computers in the house i was gone the past two weekends. I'm thinking one of the kids downloaded something or opened something. I've given strict orders that the next child caught on my computer will be sent out in the back yard with shovel to dig the new septic field.

It was a Trojan the Trend Micro program I run caught it but couldn't do anything with it. It messed with all sorts of settings, including the network settings.

Fortunately I got about 97% of my jpgs and gifs back. But that still leaves me about 90 some odd thousand files to sort through. I can only go through about 1k at a time before my eyes go buggy.

(no smart alec comments Bard)

J

PS I've had consecutive straight days of virus/Trojan free scans since the reformat. So life goes on.:)