PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis stall and Cut motor problems

nickels76
05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Hi all- Just returned from military deployment (sadly no carving for the last 6 months) to find that my Carvewright machine was giving me a check cut motor message. I opened the machine, replaced the brushes and tested the cut motor. Everything now appeared fine and the cut motor test worked like a champ. But now that I go to cut I get Z axis errors and the bit does not spin. When I go back and run z tests and cut motor tests they have no issues. I have also re-checked to ensure proper alignment and head pressure. Any ideas what might be causing this?

bergerud
05-01-2013, 11:37 PM
The first thing to check is the right cover switch. The circuit to the cut motor is interrupted by this switch when the cover is opened. Do you have a dust collection system that might be holding the cover up a little?

I assume the z axis stall is because the cut motor is not running when the bit hits the wood.

fwharris
05-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Welcome back and thanks for your service!

Your problem is only with a project your trying to carve and all of the XYZ CUT MOTOR tests run good?

Most often thing requested to do first is to reformat your card and run a small test carve of maybe a 2" square with a .250 carve region. Report what the results were with what and when any errors happened and what the actual display reports.

When you were getting the check cut motor message were you carving with and of the V bits? Did you try selecting "continue" when the prompt came up?

nickels76
05-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Okay, I reformatted the card and made sure all my programs were up to date. I upload a simple 2x2 in region cut with a depth of .250. The machine cut perfectly for 71% of the carve but then the bit suddenly stopped turning but the machine kept running on the y axis. No error messages were generated and I stopped the carve. I then went back and tested the cut motor, but it no longer spins on the test. During the carve there was no indications of overheating on any spots on the flexshaft. Any ideas?

chief2007
05-02-2013, 08:03 AM
2 things come to mind, The cut motor cover switch or the X termination Board (located on the underside of the machine).
http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61466&d=1365438039&thumb=1

bergerud
05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
I think you are looking for a poor connection. It could be connectors, cover switch, or even connections in the motor.

nickels76
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Okay, I took out the motor, made sure all the connections were secure (cleaned it out while I had it opened). I rechecked/secured all the connections and I was able to cut out a test circle (3 in radius) with no issues. Looks like it is hopefully fixed and was some random loose connection. I let you know if anything else happens. Thanks for the help.

Digitalwoodshop
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Welcome BACK !!! Good Job !!!!

The Clear cover does not have a mechanical stop and when the top cover is removed the clear cover can rest on the 2 cover switches. Left side light weight switch talks to the computer and the right side is the return path on the Cut Motor Safety Switch. Sometimes with the clear cover pushing on the switch when the top is off can cause the switch to stick or even get loose. So checking the switch and the screws and the cover hinge screws as the cover moving away from the switch can cause this.

The Crimp connectors on the Cut Motor Wires have been known to be loose...

The C1 Capacitor on the X Termination board is known to snap if not glued.

Cut Motor Brushes have been known to bind in the slot.

Wires inside the Cut Motor have been known to become loose.

Sounds like your back up and running for now.

Happy Carving,

AL

US Navy Retired. E-7 FCC(SW)