PDA

View Full Version : Grid lines

CarverJerry
04-29-2013, 07:15 PM
I hope you don't think I'm way out in left field but this is starting to drive me crazy.
I did a project a while ago using the grid lines and snap to grid lines. Now every time I open a new project the grid lines are there. I've tried turning them off and closing the program but when I open the designer the grid lines are still there. Is there a way to turn this option off and they will stay off till I need them again?

fwharris
04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Jerry,

To turn off the grid go to "layout", "snap". bottom left hand corner un check the "view grid"

lawrence
04-29-2013, 08:57 PM
It used to be that it defaulted to "off" but now it defaults to "on"... I think this was part of a patch a couple of patches ago.

It bugs me too :)

The (sortof) good news is that with the "view - toolbars - customize" function you can find "view grid" and move it onto your toolbar so that you have access to a button on your toolbar to toggle it on an off. It would be nice if you could set defaults though.

Lawrence

spalted
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I haven't checked to see if its even possible but a keyboard shortcut to toggle grid lines and snap to grid would be great, for me anyway.

lawrence
04-29-2013, 09:36 PM
I would love keyboard shortcuts for all the functions... this way I could program the buttons on my graphics tablet to do the shortcuts...

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
04-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Mine doesn't default to grid lines. Seems like there is someway to set it. I'll check tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwharris
04-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Mine doesn't default to grid lines. Seems like there is someway to set it. I'll check tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To turn off the grid go to "layout", "snap". bottom left hand corner un check the "view grid"

bergerud
04-29-2013, 10:54 PM
For me, the snap to grid and the grid lines simply default to what ever state they were in the last time the program was closed.

lawrence
04-29-2013, 10:54 PM
I like to just point and single click instead :) (set to top right button) but there are a lot of ways to skin this cat and we all have our own methods
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/rock_zps0978dd95.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/rock_zps0978dd95.jpg.html)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/rock2_zps7e40844b.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/rock2_zps7e40844b.jpg.html)
Lawrence

brdad
04-30-2013, 05:31 AM
It really would be nice if many items like the grids had user-defined defaults. For me, it's the texture setting. As a rule I like it off unless I an going to copy the screen so someone has an idea what something will look like. I tend to use the grid a lot, so I'd probably prefer that on. And an even bigger issue for me is the bits. I'd love to be able to set the 60° bit as my default centerline bit, and I'd love to be able to set the 3/16" bit as the default for cutouts and drilled holes. I'll never use the 1/8" bit again unless I have to due to size constraints. My CW is two floors down from my computer, it gets very frustrating to load a project, go through all the steps and then have the CW ask for a bit you never intended to use.

It does not seem like it'd be that hard to set up these defaults. Each default for items like the grid and texture could have three options - on, off, and last used. I'd be happy if it were just a config file I had to edit manually. And while I complain every time they put out an add-on that should just be an upgrade to the basic software, I'd be willing to pay $50 to have some good default options!

CarverJerry
04-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Hey thanks guys. That did it, I was goint to view and turning it off but it didn't stay off. This did it tho. Again thanks and hot keys would really be a nice thing for that, just like copy (ctrl C) and paste (ctrl V) I use that all the time and in designer the ctrl Z.... couldn't live without it.

Ton80
04-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Yes, this is bothersome. Not sure why it defaults to on because it never used to. The first time you click them on after that update and now you are stuck with the grid lines always on by default. I'll use the toolbar tip though to make it easier to click them off when I don't want them there.