PDA

View Full Version : Carving depth question

saylesj
04-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Hi all,
I have a version a machine using the carve tight system, sandpaper belts ring neck blues DC insert.

I recently upgraded the software to the latest version as well as the firmware on the memory card. After those updates, the depths that I set in the software do not appear to be correct. For most of my carves I use a quarter inch (0 .25) depth for both my regions and my text, after the upgrades, using my depth of .25 only gives me about an 8th of an inch carve when I turn the board on the inside in the software 0.125 appears taller than .250. Any idea why this would be happening?

Thanks for your help!
John

mtylerfl
04-29-2013, 07:37 AM
John,

Can you post an MPC file that shows this behavior? I (and others) still have 1.186 to test with and also the 1.187 to compare to.

If you have a file that has not been altered (before you installed the new 1.187), then we can see what's up between the two versions, if anything. If you have altered your files already, then it may be difficult to duplicate what you are reporting, so we need a file that you know for sure worked as intended before you updated to the current version.

The only thing to watch for...please don't post any files that may contain commercial patterns that aren't copy-protected.

EDIT: re-reading your post indicates you are seeing this on new files you are now creating...sorry for my sloppy speed reading. Go ahead and make an example MPC and post it here so we can see what you're running into and if we can help you with any layout tips and/or corrections.

saylesj
05-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi Michael,
I have attached the original MPC file that I notice the behavior with unfortunately I'd already began carving the project when I noticed some of the letters were deep and some were not upon further review,in the designer I noticed that the word Ford was only set at .125 and all of the other letters were set at .25 but Ford is the only one that carved at the desired depth.

I did a few carvings today, but I used .125 as my depths and got my desired quarter inch depth…… Very strange to me and other people I have talked to but after all, it is a computer and sometimes they have a mind of their own!

Please let me know if you see any errors in my layout etc.

Thanks Again,
John

saylesj
05-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Here is another file in case you cannot open that one

bergerud
05-01-2013, 01:37 AM
The depths are not the heights of the letters above the rectangle base. The depths are how far below the surface of the board the letters are carved. Set all of the letter depths to 0 and observe what happens.

saylesj
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Has that changed recently? I have always used .25 depth and it didn't create that affect up until I did the recent firmware and software updates…… Thank you for the heads up, I change the depth to zero and that appears to of worked

Also is there a easy way to tell designer to use say the 1/16 bit on text and then 3/16 on an image?

The depths are not the heights of the letters above the rectangle base. The depths are how far below the surface of the board the letters are carved. Set all of the letter depths to 0 and observe what happens.