PDA

View Full Version : Bit Installation

cherman
02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi All,

I picked my machine up at Sears this morning,read thru the manual and thought I was ready to see it run. This is a most embarrasing question
but how in the devil do you get a bit into one of these machines ?
I have been trying all day and no sucess yet. The manual says "To **** the chuck, press all the way up on the chuck release flange and release. The outer flange will snap up when the chuck is prepared to receive the bit assembly. " No matter how hard I press up on the chuck flange....it doesn't snap up. I have run out of ideas on how to get it cocked. My dial indicator shows only .010-.012 thou movement of the chuck flange.
I am chompin at the bit to see this thing run.....if I could only get a bit in it. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!!!! grin

Wayne in NC

Old Salt
02-08-2007, 07:43 PM
the bit snaps in on the down side not up i will not stay up . to load bit push up ring insert bit anholder lower ring it should make a litle bit of a snap when bit is seated hope this helps

rjp736
02-08-2007, 07:45 PM
On my machine, it does not really click when I push up on it. I push the bit in as I am lifting on the collet, rotate a bit until I feel that it's in then release the collet flange. Make sense? I had the same problem as you at first and just played around until I found this method. I take the bit out the same way....I DO NOT use the tool that came with it.

Bill
02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Hello Cherman,

Check this thread this will help you get your bit in place.
Bill.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1572&highlight=****+chuck

cherman
02-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for quick reply! Just went to the basement to try the bit installation again....but NO luck.. How much movement do you guys see when you pull up on the chuck flange. Mine only moves a few thousands of an inch. Is this all the movement you guys see? ? I can place my finger into the chuck as I pull up and can feel nothing moving. I just feel that I should see or feel something move....grin
I have installed bits in about everything that takes a bit ....but this one has me embarrased!

Bill
02-08-2007, 08:33 PM
When I first got my machine it was tight what I did is rotated the chuck and kept pulling it up and it finally moved it took me quite a while.

I don't know what it is but at first it seems to be stuck in the closed position.

I got my machine on a Friday and there was no one at CW to help so I just kept trying and finally it moved up, so I do as Bert said put some oil on a cloth wipe it down and it will be fine...but don't soak it :D
Bill

Jeff_Birt
02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Put some (just a little) light oil on a rag and wipe the inside of the chuck. You don't want to leave enough oil to drip. Then keep working with it. When working properly it only moves about 2mm (~0.100").

cherman
02-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Jeff,
I have oiled and worked with the chuck....but still only have at best
.012 inch movement...far from the .100. Will just let the oil set all night and try in the morning. Thanks much everyone for trying to help..

Wayne in NC

captainkidd
02-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Mine will not slide up unless I rotate the whole chuck around a bit then it snaps right up. It's like it has a sweet spot that you have to hit before it will slide up and release the bit holder. This may be the same issue you are having.

B.Kidd

cherman
02-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Morning all,

Just spent about 2 more hours trying to install a bit in this machine after
oiling and letting set all night. I have tried all suggestions.....but no help.
The bit just never seems to want to move into the chuck at all. Any other
suggestions before I pack it up and return to SEARS. I sure want to see this puppy run ONE time....grin

C. Wayne Herman in NC

Charles M
02-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Wayne,

If there is no bit in the machine and there is very little upward travel of the chuck it may be already cocked. Try inserting a bit and pulling down on the chuck to engage the bit. If this works, use a gloved hand to firmly pull on the bit and make sure it is seated before turning on the machine.

cherman
02-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks gang...but still NO solution! Let me ask a couple more questions and I will bow out. How do I tell if the chuck is cocked or NOT cocked.
Let me try to explain my current conditions.

1. The part of the chuck that moves ...the outer part with the flange is presently flush with the stationary part....for lack of part name I will call it the spindle shaft. Is this a condition of cocked or un-cocked?

2.I can put a bit into the chuck until it will go no farther....then pull up on
the chuck flange and there is no perceptial movement of the bit....is it cocked or un-cocked? Another thing i noticed there is about .125 in clearance betwee the bottom of the chuck and the set-screw that holds
the bit in the adapter. This never changes ....either pulling up on the flange or pushing down on it. Thanks to everyone that has offered help. This thing has caused me to pull out the last 4 hairs that I had on my head....grin

C. Wayne Herman in NC

ChipMonk
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
You could always go to Sears and check out the Demo machine to see if it works any better. Could be that what The Bard has in his signature line is the solution. :wink:

If brute force doesn't solve your problems,
You're not using enough.

The Bard
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
8)

cherman
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
ChipMonk,

Don't think Brads suggestion has been given serious thought!!!! ....grin
I had thought about going to the SEARS store 80 mile round trip....but if I go I think I will take the machine and let them install the bit for me...since I lack the ability...grin

Jeff_Birt
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
You might give CW a call too.

The Bard
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
B

A

R

D

Brad is a name, a BARD is a minstrel/storyteller/historian/singer/entertainer/comic/paininthebutt

big difference... :wink:

and yeah... call us up.

cherman
02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
:oops:
BARD,
Please accept my sincerest apologies....grin
If no one ever calls you anything worse....you,ll be OK

Jeff,
I have called. The young lady said someone would call....that was 2hrs 11min 35 sec ago. grin
I will let you guys know the outcome....believe me I am chompin at the BIT....I want to carve in the worst way!!!!
Seriously. thank everyone for taking time and trying to help.

We will solve it!

C. Wayne Herman in NC
AA4CQ

The Bard
02-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Herman, gotcha on my list bro.... I'll get down there soon.

Bill
02-09-2007, 02:32 PM
:P
a BARD is a minstrel/storyteller/historian/singer/entertainer/comic/paininthebutt :P :P :P

Charles M
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I just returned from buying some bit holders at Sears and they have instructions with them that detail the chuck cocking process and more general info on the collet system than I have seen elsewhere. Does anyone want to see a scan of it?

Jeff_Birt
02-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, please.

Ken-S
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
The 1st time I tryed to put in my bit into my machines I had all kinds of problems. I had to keep on trying and wigle it untill it snap into place. But if it is anything like my 1st machine I had problem one right after the next. I had to return it. I got myself an 2nd one and it was so more easer then the 1st one. The bit went right in with no problems and the flexshaft went in very ease. The 1st one was hard to get in. So mite just have one that need to be replace.

liquidguitars
02-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Ok installing bits was different and the removal wrench "safer way I am sure" seems makes it worse. Now all I do is to lift up on the collet and the bit drops out. Must have been too simple...
are the CW router bits shipping now?

Charles M
02-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Here's the instructions that came with the 1/4" QuickRout adapters from Sears.

cherman
02-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi All,

I took time to go to the local Sears and found out how a normal chuck works. Bit installation on their demo was easy as falling off a log! My trouble all along is that my chuck is LOCKED up and will not move. Now that I see how it works I am sure a new chuck will fix my problem....Thanks guys!

C Wayne Herman in NC

chetters
02-12-2007, 11:31 AM
I know exactly what your going through. I had the same problem with
2 different machines and now I've figured out the problem. The first thing
you need to do is get a mirror to look up inside the chuck. You will see an
inner ring that should have a red mark on it matching the red mark on the
outside of the chuck. The inner ring is stuck and needs to be broke loose.
I used an angled pair of needle nose pliers to push on the inner ring to get
it to rotate seperate from the outside of the chuck. It only needs to turn
a little bit, maybe an 1/8 inch. Once you've broken it loose it should work.
It will also get a little freer with each use.

DAT60A3
02-27-2007, 09:10 PM
I finally got my machine. I read the instructions, etc. Now I try to install the bit and it won't go in. I used every suggestion posted on this site. After messing with it for several hours last night, I let it sit with a light coat of Kroil. I went back to it this evening and still no luck. It looks like the detent ball bearings are frozen and won't move to allow the adaptor to go passed. Sears was no help. I got the first one to hit that store and they will not stock them, only customer order. That means that I would have to wait another 3 or more weeks if I returned it. My question is, can I just take it back to LHR Technologies and let them look at it? It is only across Houston from Katy to Pasadena (about 45 miles). Would somebody at LHS be able to look at the problem child or would I have to pack it all up and leave it for who knows how long.

pkunk
02-27-2007, 09:24 PM
I finally got my machine. I read the instructions, etc. Now I try to install the bit and it won't go in. I used every suggestion posted on this site. After messing with it for several hours last night, I let it sit with a light coat of Kroil. I went back to it this evening and still no luck. It looks like the detent ball bearings are frozen and won't move to allow the adaptor to go passed. Sears was no help. I got the first one to hit that store and they will not stock them, only customer order. That means that I would have to wait another 3 or more weeks if I returned it. My question is, can I just take it back to LHR Technologies and let them look at it? It is only across Houston from Katy to Pasadena (about 45 miles). Would somebody at LHS be able to look at the problem child or would I have to pack it all up and leave it for who knows how long.
I'd call 'em first. Chances are they can talk you through the problem. Then if you do have to tale it to 'em, they can probably fix it in no time. Wish I lived that close.(no- I like it here!)

DAT60A3
02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I was planning on calling them first thing in the morning. I was just hoping that somebody who works there would see the post and have a reply. As far as living close to LHS Tech, It is close by miles, but depending on traffic, maybe not time wise. Houston + Friday + drive-time traffic= sucks your will to live. N. New Mexico is sure nice, but it gets too cold. If I never see snow again, I will be a happy camper. I'd rather live in my true home; El Paso.

The Bard
02-28-2007, 12:03 AM
noone who works at LHR frequents this forum.

If you call them, they will answer.

DAT60A3
02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I was just hoping. I have placed a call and am waiting for a reponse.

Thanks