PDA

View Full Version : not so smart as I thought I was

aokweld101
04-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I was asked if I could a project. He wants it on both sides of the wood front and back, with a little longer tail on the letter z, I manged to do the underline scoll but I can't get it with a width and a additive of a .25 some help would be helpful I thank you in advance for your help its not hard to be humble when your in need....

bergerud
04-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Try, under tools - select depth profile. This may give you what you want. It uses the 90 degree bit but you could (group it and) make it into a pattern.

SteveNelson46
04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
This example is really crude but, I think it's what you're looking for.

aokweld101
04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
thank you steve for the help its not quite what the customer wanted I'm going to call him and see what I can get by with.

SteveNelson46
04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I didn't do anything special. Just made a line, copied it, pasted it back in and moved it over and down about 1/4" from the original. Then connected the ends with a straight line and made the shape a carve region with 0 depth.

aokweld101
04-30-2013, 09:38 PM
I did a carve and the first time it come out all bad, It was a .75 thick material and by the time it finished it was about .375 thick my cutout was done twice and was'nt allined I have what I think will work this time my fingers are crossed. But I'm still having problems with the layout he wanted a longer underlined scoll but when i strecth it out it wants to do a region outside the pattern and has junk on the board he also wanted what was on the front on the back and I just can't get it I tried to do a cut and paste and I only can do the name seperatly copy and paste and the underline text seperate. I've spent about six hours on it and 8 hrs. on the carve, some help would be sooooo thankful.

bergerud
04-30-2013, 11:25 PM
I hope this helps some.

SteveNelson46
05-01-2013, 11:33 AM
For your thickness problem, as you pass the mouse over different regions of your project check the bottom left corner of the screen. It gives you the coordinates of the mouse and the depth from the top of the board at that location. The letters are at the top of the surface so everything else has to be more shallow.

aokweld101
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
done the second carve today turned out better than the frist still had issues with the thickness I am going to go and do the one that bergurud done. my thanks go to you and I thank you more than I can say...but the thing is I'm no better off now than when I asked for help I still don't know how to do it, some direction would be greatly appreciated....again thank you bergurud!!!

SteveNelson46
05-01-2013, 07:49 PM
You're still going to have the same issues. As you pass the mouse around the pattern near the edges, you can see the depth is just over an eighth of an inch. It's the same on the back side so just over 1/8" plus just over 1/8" equals just over .25". That leaves less than a half of an inch of material left at the edges.

aokweld101
05-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Hey stevenelson, I thank you for that Information I was under the thought that to leave the most material that u could and still have a .75 thinkness at the thickest point of your board even with your carve being the thickest point.

aokweld101
05-01-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm going though the forum and and was thinking to myself in the meantime... HEY WHY NOT USE A THICKER BOARD YA DUMMY.......some times the easist solution is the hardest

bergerud
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
To see how thick it will be, cut the board length in half. You can then see the cross section. I did not think it was so thin.

SteveNelson46
05-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Here is an example of one of my two sided signs. Maybe this will help