PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect scaling of carving

sjwilson57
04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I hope someone on the Forum can assist me in figuring out why when I attempt to carve my project, the Carvewright changes the scaling and begins to carve a much smaller version of my project.

I have gone through both x & y calibration as well as width and length offset adjustments, without success.

Please help!

Steve

:cry:

mtylerfl
04-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I hope someone on the Forum can assist me in figuring out why when I attempt to carve my project, the Carvewright changes the scaling and begins to carve a much smaller version of my project.

I have gone through both x & y calibration as well as width and length offset adjustments, without success.

Please help!

Steve

:cry:

Hello Steve,

Please read the following article. It should explain why you are having that issue. If there is anything you still have questions on after reading the article, please let us know.

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

sjwilson57
04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks so much for your quick response. This was exactly what I was looking and it worked great. I did discover that your work board must be extremely flat or you will get a tracking roller error. I had a small hump on the board and once I sanded it flat, all was good.

Thanks again!

Steve :D

Digitalwoodshop
04-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Along that line, the trick I use is to place a strip of masking tape on the under side of the board where the brass roller runs. It tracks the board in length. The soft tape gives the brass roller something to bite into.

Lots of Tips and Tricks to learn... MT writes some Great Stuff...

We call it the "7 inch rule of wood" when it comes to scaling...

Good Job,

AL