PDA

View Full Version : Dumb way to break a cutting bit

Proctorw
04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
OK, as woodworkers, we all like to brag about our latest mental mistake which cost us $$$. I have had my carvewright for about 6 weeks and was doing the 50hour maintenance. I work full time so I was surprised how fast 50 hours of machine time came up. Because work got in the way, I wanted to carve some crosses on Monday, but didn't have time to do the maintenance. I didn't get around to starting maintenance until Sunday night. Finished it, went to bed knowing Monday night I would start a carve. Monday eveingin I got my board ready (Planed and cut), put it in the sled, cranked up the head, slid the board in and heard a distinctive metal sound. I looked and realized that I hadn't powered my machine on, the cutting bit didn't home, but rather was all the way down because I cleaned and lubed the Z rollers. Needless to say the sled with a board in it took care of the bit. I spent the next 15 minutes fishing out the cutting bit from the bottom of the machine. Lesson learned, always turn on the machine, let it home, then insert the board/sled. Thought I would share a "dumb moment" learning experience. I ordered 2 more to have in case I forget this lesson I just learned.

Digitalwoodshop
04-26-2013, 07:21 PM
I did that very same thing in 2007 with the first 1/8th inch Cutting Bit.... And.... Murphy's Law... I had not purchased spare bits YET.... Must be why I am SO Compulsive and have a bunch of spare parts.... LOL....

Yes, that is a Distinctive High Pitch "TWANG"... Followed by a #$&!@&*#$%^&!....

I feel your pain.... I had just cleaned the machine too....

AL

spalted
04-26-2013, 08:49 PM
What's the smart way to break one?

It did it with an 1/8" cutting bit too. It was an older bit, so I talked myself into believing it was dull and time to toss it anyway.

Proctorw
04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
What's the smart way to break one?

Not sure, but I definitely found the dumb way. ;)

carrothers
04-26-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean.."let the machine home and then load the board"....I insert the card, turn on the machine, load the board, and then select the pattern and then it measures. Am I wrong?

Proctorw
04-27-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm not sure what you mean.."let the machine home and then load the board"....I insert the card, turn on the machine, load the board, and then select the pattern and then it measures. Am I wrong?

No you are correct. By turning the machine on before loading the board, the bit "Homes" or moves over to the side and raises up. When I was done cleaning the machine, I didn't power it back on and I didn't manually move or raise the bit. I always keep the machine unplugged when I am not using it just to prevent power spikes or tripping over cords, etc. So when I got back in the shop, the card was already in the machine and I loaded the board prior to turning it on. The bit was still down on the Z axis and right in the center of the machine. Does this explanation help?