PDA

View Full Version : My toughest project yet...

JuicyCarp
04-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I havent started carving yet because my machine is down, but Iwanted to share my next project with you guys, to see if there was any advice! Its going to be a large carve for a construction company that builds rustic homes. They want a couple signs they can place in the yard of homes they are currently building. I planned a simple rectangular sign, the base made from plywood covered with cedar fence panels (i think they capture the rustic feel, while keeping costs low), then on the upper portion of the sign is a carved logo, and on the lower portion a "The Smiths" type of sign that will hang on the sign until the house is complete, then will be attached to the house when its finished.

The hard part is going to be putting this carve together...

Its a pretty amazing pattern, created by Todd at 4m3d.com. The pattern cost me about $100, but he does great work, and is so easy to work with. The pattern is actually a layered carve. I wanted to use regular .75 lumber, but still be able to add some depth to allow for the most detail. So the base of the sign will be carved first, then the pheasant will be carved and attached to the background. This should allow for a little undercutting, which i think will enhance the carve. The tough part is carving everything! I think the background can be done in three or four carves, and the pheasant might be completed in three.

This is by far the most challenging project i have attempted, but i am certainly looking forward to it!

Kevin

Bigtyme
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
It is certainly a beautiful pattern, Kevin and it sounds like you have thought out the progression pretty well. I don't have a ton of experience with the larger carves, but quite a few folks on the forum have and I am sure they will chime in with some good advice. Best of luck with this project, it sure looks like a good one...

mtylerfl
04-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Kevin,

That's a very nice-looking sign - Todd does wonderful work.

I do have a small suggestion...when I first tried to read the sign, I thought it said "Upland Hoties"! No kidding!

The letter "M" is mostly obscured by the wing, but perhaps extending the middle point of the M" downwards a bit below the wing would improve legibility?

JuicyCarp
04-26-2013, 01:55 PM
I mentioned that to the customer, who related that he actually likes it that way! I guess since he is paying for it right? My Z motor should be in the mail today, so hopefully i can get started on this soon, I am anxious and excited, but also very nervous!

SharonB
04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Sure wish I could be around when you carve and put this sign together. Maybe you'll have to do a video showing your process.:razz: