PDA

View Full Version : Rock chuck

Ropdoc
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Hello,

Has anyone used this ?
:?: http://www.carvespot.com/forum/file.php?3,file=5,filename=The_Rock_chuck_news_rel ease.pdf

Video of install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U)

mtylerfl
04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Hello,

Has anyone used this ?
:?: http://www.carvespot.com/forum/file.php?3,file=5,filename=The_Rock_chuck_news_rel ease.pdf

Video of install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U)

This is a confusing question. :?:

Ropdoc
04-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I apologize.

Has anyone purchased the Rock chuck. Removed the quick change from their "A" version carvewright and installed the Rock chuck on their "A" version carvewright?

And if did do the install? How do the Rock chuck perform during the cutting/carving process?

Thank you for your time

CarverJerry
04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I have the Rock chuck on my B machine. Wouldn't use anything else in place of the QC that came on the machine. Ron did an excellent job on the design and have not had one problem what so ever with it. Sure made the machine run smoother and is better balanced which makes the sound even better. I could tell the first time I fired it up that his chuck was truly balanced and the bits come out every time as the old QC would stick and wear out.

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Search "rock chuck". You may find one or two threads (lol).

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2013, 01:08 PM
I have 4 "A" Machines and all have ROCKS. No problems. Very Happy.

AL

badbert
04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Hello,

Has anyone used this ?

Video of install

This is a confusing question. :?:

The confusing part was how popular the Rock Chuck is, perhaps we take for granted that everyone knew about it. I have only used the CarveTight and the Quick Change. This chuck is a viable alternative. There are some discussions about making a ER Chuck work on the machine. Which ever you choose, you will be glad you did! Getting rid of the QC really makes a difference in the noise level!

Ropdoc
04-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Well for me it is frustrating because I don't think anyone looked at thye link or video. That would explain why I am asking this question.

Smoken D
04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
I am just guessing about the confused part. Maybe Michael noted your join date as Feb 2007 knowing how many years the Rock has been available and how many threads there have been about the Rock. Yes, I saw the link and used the video to install my Rock a few years ago to get rid of the QC. I was about to take a 12ga to my machine and as a last resort got the Rock. Since that time my machine has run, and run, and run with nare a hitch. Great piece of equipment that fixed my machine.

mtylerfl
04-25-2013, 02:41 PM
I apologize, Ropdoc. I (mistakenly) thought "everybody" knew about the Rock Chuck since it's been around for so many years and there has been considerable discussion about it here on the forum. Hence, I was genuinely puzzled by the question if anyone had used it before. Many have, many do and many are very pleased with it, as you now know. My personal preference is to use the CarveWright CarveTight, but both products are certainly valid substitutes for the QC.

I obviously need to "get a clue" and realize that not everyone spends as much of their time on the forum as I seem to do!

lawrence
04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
I've got a rock chuck on my "b" model machine and love mine-- no complaints whatsoever and as others have said, a quick search for "rock" here on the forum will give you a lot of results including folks impressions on performance

Again, the confusion was likely not meant as a spear but was because the rock chuck is such a ubiquitous part of the forum and many of our carvewright experiences (and is the forefather of the carvetight). I'm positive no offense or intent to frustrate was intended.

V/r
Lawrence

Geomoo1
04-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I am new to CarveWright and have seen many comments about "the rock" but didn't have a clue what it was or where to get it.

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Our A & B machines came with an old-style spindle called the Quick Change Chuck (QC spindle). We discovered that if a bit got put into the QC wrong, you would very quickly see the degradation of the QC. We also discovered that adapters on bits put into a bad QC would get what we call bb marks. Putting a bit with a bad adapter into a new QC caused it to fail rather quickly.

It took a while for LHR to figure all of this out and to come up with a solution (the CarveTight). It now comes on ALL version C machines. The CarveTight was also made, so that it could be put on older A & B model machines.

In the mean time, the Rock Chuck was invented by one of our customers as a solution to the QC problems.

Customers with the old-style Quick Change Chuck wishing to upgrade can decide between the Rock Chuck or LHR's CarveTight.

There is no physical way (or need) to go from a CarveTight to a Rock Chuck.

dehrlich
04-25-2013, 07:44 PM
I put a Rock on my A machine and it works great. MUCH better than the QC ever thought of being. No oiling the adapters or parts getting worn out. And it's so much quieter. Well worth the money. BTW, get a 1/2" Rock. More versitility than the 1/4".

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2013, 09:17 PM
And to expand on the Rock Chuck... It was made where you un screwed the QC and installed the top part of the Rock in it's place. Then you had a choice of a 1/8, 1/4. or 1/2 inch rock lower section. Might even be a 1/16th...? For me I use all 1/4 inch bits. But I do have a 1/2 inch lower section and could work in all 1/2 inch bits too.. Or just swap as I need it...

Since the Rock lets you insert the bit to any length, I use a 1/4 inch locking Ring with a Set Screw. This lets the bit be installed the same length every time. This is important as if you have a multi bit project, the machine remembers the length when you first put the bit in. So the 2nd time, if the length is different it gives you a RE FIND option and you select that and then carve.

The Machine has been Tuned for a 1/8th inch Cutting Bit to fall into the length of what the CarveTite bit is on a CT. SO for US Rock users we must find that correct length. For me, it is where my locking Ring is right near the start of the cutting area as seen in the picture. IF you install a 1/8th inch bit in the ROCK TOO LONG, then the bit will IMPACT the Bit Plate BEFORE the machine starts looking for the CT Length and the machine will STALL or Give you an ERROR. IT is simply getting the length of the ROCK correct then all is well... This is just because the Designer is setup and optimized for the "C" version and a CT. So with LHR being the only source of the 1/8th inch Cutting Bits for the CT the length is standard. Yes, other places sell LHR CT Bits.

So if the 1/8th bit is TOO SHORT or TOO LONG installed in a ROCK then you have a problem.. You simply use Trial and Error to find the correct length.

Now for the comment that you would never go from a CT to a ROCK... That is Correct... The CT is a single shaft that goes from the Square in the Top Hat to the bottom CT Chuck. One solid piece of metal. So where the ROCK Screws on to the old QC Threads.... With the CT.. No Threads... so no way.... You would need to replace the Truck with a old version with the Threaded shaft for a QC.

In Theory with 2 sets of threads you would expect some run out or Wobble between the Threaded Adapters.. In Theory Yes it is possible..... But Ron uses Quality Equipment and I have never had a problem. I believe someone did a Run Out Test back in 2009 and it was a QUALITY Setup... The CT has the Advantage of a Single Shaft and 2 bearings... Not much of a chance of Run Out... A Quality Setup. The ROCK really made a difference in the GAP between the After Market ROCK coming on the Market to when the CT was Released. Until then, the ROCK was the only game in town for a Upgrade. There was another Chuck Similar but it never caught on because it just was not made in quantity. The maker wanted Money up front to make them and a minimum order that never happened... Ron Bank Rolled the ROCK...

I always add that if someone decides to stop using the ROCK, I am a ROCK Collector.... I buy used Rocks for my Collection...

AL

Pictures... The Top Bit I use to cut my Fire Tags and don't use a Ring as it is always a 1 bit project.

The Z Trucks... A Old QC... And NOTE... As you look into the machine, the Bottom Bit Flag Side Z Truck Roller Bearing. In the Very Early "A" units with the holes in the Casting for the Probe Jack, and Homing Sensor, the Bottom Right METAL CASTING is THIN.... A few people had problems with the Z Truck Castings Snapping at that point. A Combination of the Thin Casting and the TAPERED Bearing SCREW HEAD acted like a WEDGE and SPLIT the CASTING. The Temp fix was the BLACK WASHER as shown... The FINAL FIX was the New Z Truck Casting made Thicker and all the un used Holes were filled in for more SUPPORT....

SO if you have a EARLY "A" and the Casting with all the HOLES in it... YOU can ADD your own WASHER.... It really WORKED... Removing the Splitting STRESS....

And Picture 3.... EPIC FAIL.... The Casting Shattered.... I had snapped 3 Square Drive bits and was frustrated... Not Enough HEAT... This is before I learned the Soldering Iron Trick.... I never got that QC Off.... Replaced the Truck.... Ordered without a QC Attached to install the ROCKS. You use a 1/2 inch bit Adapter and attach the Soldering Iron to it and install the Soldering Iron to heat the QC RED Forever Lock Tite.

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Great history lesson and really, really good information about how it all works.

Take a bow, dear sir, you are an invaluable asset to this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digitalwoodshop
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Great history lesson and really, really good information about how it all works.

Take a bow, dear sir, you are an invaluable asset to this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks !!!

In Retrospect on the QC... For the new guys, The QC was Designed by the Inventor of the Machine. I bet if the QC had been designed with a Dozen Ball Bearings spreading out the surface area of support, we would still be using them today. The weakness was the jack hammering of the Ball Bearings into the Bit Holders.

But that is water under the bridge. It is a really GREAT MACHINE !!!!

Would love to see a 4th Axis Sled developed with a Servo Motor on the sled to turn 4 long blanks in the length of the machine....

Just dreaming....

AL

Here is a picture from 7/2008 where I (WRONGLY) jumped on the band wagon of... OMG the latest Designer is the problem... Epic Fail on MY part... The Software was just FINE... See in the picture.... The Smoking Cuts and Burnt Black BITS we were being blaming on the new Designer.... And in REALITY... SEE the BB MARKS on the BIT HOLDER.... I and MANY OTHERS had been using BAD QC's Long PAST WORN OUT and the Bit holders were FLOPPING AROUND inside the QC... And making the BIT WOBBLE and Rub the SIDE of the BIT in a Cut Path until it created HEAT, SMOKE and BLACK.... So LHR was jumping through Hoops looking at the Designer Upgrade for a non existent problem and here WE users were causing the problem using a Worn OUT QC long past it's life...... I didn't see the Connection to the BB Marks early on.... My Bad...

In the second picture you can see the BB Marks in the 2 smaller Arrows and the Big Arrow shows the Finish on the surface that mated with the QC starting to wear off due to the flopping around...

What we finally found was that we needed to replace the QC and All Bit Holders at one time... Leaving the old QC or a old Bit Holder that was worn would destroy the new parts in as little as one project... Being FRUGAL I would wait a little longer.... And that was the problem.... WE Created our own Failure by waiting... HUNDREDS of machines were returned to SEARS for Worn QC's for NEW Machines...... And that created a big problem.... A guy returning the machine to Sears and the Cashier working on COMMISSION knowing... IF He return this machine for a refund HE would loose the Commission out of HIS next pay check... SO they SWAPPED them out for a new machine.... NO LOSS out of the Cashier's Pocket.... BIG LOSS for LHR and SEARS... You can find posts back then... "I am on my 6th machine".....

So we have come a long way... Sears "WE Return ANYTHING" was a big part of the problem.... Imagine FORD.... My Gas Tank is Empty... I want a NEW CAR.... Why FIX It... when I can get a NEW Machine with a NEW WARRANTY....