PDA

View Full Version : purchasing bits though Lowe's

aokweld101
04-25-2013, 07:31 AM
I ordered 4 bits from Lowe's 2 carving and 2 cutting bits saved $10.00 on each bit and $12.00 on shipping so I saved $52.00 and ordered them on April 7th they said It would be delivered by the 23rd of this month I recieved the carving bits on the 16th and I'm still waiting on the cutting bits and it's the 25th it seems the savings on the bits don't out weigh the wait not when you think about it and can't do any carving without bits.....grrrr

liblakelady
04-25-2013, 08:34 AM
I ordered 4 bits from Lowe's 2 carving and 2 cutting bits saved $10.00 on each bit and $12.00 on shipping so I saved $52.00 and ordered them on April 7th they said It would be delivered by the 23rd of this month I recieved the carving bits on the 16th and I'm still waiting on the cutting bits and it's the 25th it seems the savings on the bits don't out weigh the wait not when you think about it and can't do any carving without bits.....grrrr

I ordered bits thru lowes and they came within a week.

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
That just doesn't sound right. I'll check on it for you. Not out of bits and adapters would not be in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Aok:

Your order from Lowes on April 4th was ONLY for two carving bits. You might check with Lowes.

Connie

aokweld101
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
thanks lynnfrwd, I'm calling Lowe's at 12:30 today to find out whats going on with the bits, this isn't the first time I've had problems with Lowe's.

aokweld101
04-25-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm so done with Lowe's it might cost more going through LHR but I get them in a timely manor instead of a month and half.
i

diverdill
07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
New here. I have a few questions about these bits. I have the old A machine. I went to local sears, they had never heard of carvewright. So no help there. I know nothing!!! So keep in mind when talking with me. Worse Iam female so don't go all techy. Yes I've been reading. What is obvious to you is greek to me. The bits I have are quickchange. I was going to up grade to the spindle. I understand that I need A907 change to do that but you are buying bits at Lowes? Does that mean I can use bits from sears? Will the adapters I see they sell work on any bit?(LHR) I thought you could only use their bits (LHR) I dont have a warranty so I don't care about that. Should I bother with carve tight change? I was all ready to order but then the bits are no good and I have to buy more from LHR> Somebody help!!!P.S. yes i tried start u nobody in my area.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Lets get some simple questions out of the way first..

Do you currently have bits.. or at least the 1/16 carving bit and the 1/8 straight bit with QC adapters one them?
If yes to above, can you take pictures of the QC adapters and post them here? We would want to see if there are BB dents in the QC adapters... if they are fine and you are not having trouble with the QC, you dont need to upgrade right away.

If you dont have any bits, or the QC's are damaged, then it might make more sense to do the upgrade to the carvetight or a rock chuck now.

The most important this is you dont rush thru things seeing you are new and you have an older machine. Everyone here will be with you every step of the way and will try very hard to make sure you are successful with this machine. It can be incredible frustrating at times, but as you start to understand how everything fits together, you'll be amazed at the things you are able to accomplish. It also seems that many (most?) of the A machines tend to have very distinct "personalities". As you get to know your machine better and learn and understand its own little idiosyncrasies, you'll develop little tricks to dealing with them and it will quickly become second nature.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 10:21 AM
6363963640ok there is one in machine that is 3/8 i believe. The middle one is broken. I don't know how u tell size. There is nothing on them that says. anyhow this is what i have to work with. They do feel sharp. The machine has 30 hours on it.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
6363963640ok there is one in machine that is 3/8 i believe. The middle one is broken. I don't know how u tell size. There is nothing on them that says. anyhow this is what i have to work with. They do feel sharp. The machine has 30 hours on it.

The one on the left is a 90 degree v-bit, the middle one looks like it was the 1/8 straight bit, and the far right is the 1/16 carving bit. The QC's look ok to me, so I dont think you need to immediately replace your qc to the carvetight or rock chuck. Since everything is so new to you, I cant see a compelling argument for upgrading right now. I'd play around with what you have so you can start learning the machine. I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I bought several 1/8 cutting bits from Lawrence when he pretty much bought Sears whole supply when they where discontinuing the items. If i do, I'll be happy to send you one so you at least would have all the bit that come stock with the machine. Lets wait for a few more members to chime in on the condition of your QC adapters.

lynnfrwd
07-19-2013, 10:52 AM
What you are showing is the 90º v-bit, broken 1/8" cutting bit & 1/16" carving bit. All with the QC (Quick Change) adapters.

Make sure if you order from LHR, you make the correct adapter selection. Click on the image or product name to see the details & option to select adapter.

I think, Lowes / Home Depot only sell the CarveTight adapters online, but you may be able to get them to specify which adapter type you need on the order. Also, when Mary gets bit orders from distributors, she usually tries to verify the adapter type either by looking to see if you have a C version machine registered or calling the customers. The designer bits (like the 90º v-bit and 3/8" staight bit) are only available as the Full Bit set through distributors.

Look on our product store to see images of the bits. Once you change the adapter type, the image should also change.

I don't see any "bb" marks on your adapters, but they do look rusty. Make sure you put the bits in properly each time and the QC may last you awhile.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
ok i thought they were all carving bits. I did a sign with the one in machine that i believe is 3/8. It cut a lot faster than what the stated time from the software program. Can u slow it down? Also it was pretty rough, needed alot of sanding. I have a foredom so I sanded away but ugh.....I used a piece of maple. I need to carve a sign out of teak. So any direction of bit to use and how to slow this sucker down would be great. I was trying to order oil for flex shaft on site and I can't find the stuff. the staff is out to lunch so i am sitting here waiting. Anybody want to tell me what to have on hand for maintenance would be great help. I hate to wait for days for something i should of had on shelf. Also any thoughts on new design ware they are selling? I mostly want to carve display boxes for artifacts. I want to carve arrowheads, arrows, etc. around trim and in background larger pictures. If somebody writes programs give me a shout. I had a hard time navigating the free pattern site on here. 3,000 patterns but finding what u want was hard. I know i talk to much but I keep thinking of what I need to ask. lol A dictionary worth. I am so excited. I want to get started!!!!

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 01:58 PM
In general, for carving you will ONLY want to use the 1/16 carving bit (right most one in your picture). v-bits are commonly used for centerline text carving or vector carving. I would remove whatever bit is in your machine currently and take a pic to upload so we can help you identify it.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 02:35 PM
6364463645Manuel does not tell how to shaft to middle for easy removal.

lynnfrwd
07-19-2013, 03:10 PM
6364463645Manuel does not tell how to shaft to middle for easy removal.

That is the 60º v-bit and if you are using it to carve, I'm sure you are having poor results.

Not sure what "how to shaft to middle" means.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 05:24 PM
That is the 60º v-bit and if you are using it to carve, I'm sure you are having poor results.

Not sure what "how to shaft to middle" means.

Im sure that also would put a ton more stress on the machine especially if the carve you did had much depth at all to it.

I assume she meant she didnt know how to get the machine to center the head left to right to make bit removal easier. (if the power is off, you can just slide the head by hand to the middle.)

diverdill
07-19-2013, 05:49 PM
I can't believe this. My husband swore it would not move. I just moved it with no problem!!!! lol Well now i know. Yes I did a practice run on the old english font. Thats when the flex shaft got hot. So I should have used the carving bit? I thought the v-bit was for letters?

lynnfrwd
07-19-2013, 05:53 PM
I can't believe this. My husband swore it would not move. I just moved it with no problem!!!! lol Well now i know. Yes I did a practice run on the old english font. Thats when the flex shaft got hot. So I should have used the carving bit? I thought the v-bit was for letters?

Centerline uses 90º by default and you can change it to 60º. You can also assign these to vector paths like square, rectangle, circle, oval drawing tools using Select Bit.

That flexshaft may need to be lubricated if this machine is used.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 06:08 PM

v-bit are used for letters IF you are selecting centerline. My guess is that you have not purchased centerline yet, so your practice run was doing lettering with a raster carve... and yes, you would need to use the 1/16 carving bit for that.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Center line is the program I need to do this right? I will order it and oil. Iam going to try that bass fish, i will put in the 1/16 bit.remember A machine. Centerline will work with what I have?

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Center line is the program I need to do this right? I will order it and oil. Iam going to try that bass fish, i will put in the 1/16 bit.remember A machine. Centerline will work with what I have?
Yes, centerline will work with your machine. I just want to be perfectly clear.. you can still carve text with out adding anything. Centerline is probably the first option most people get, but it isnt absolutely required for carving text.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 06:50 PM
yes, i understand. I appreciate that. I will wait and first try a carve. Iam going to put bit in. We are trying now, cant get it in. Will try to find video.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 07:28 PM
alright, after much discussion and wd40 we have learned how to place the bit in. Just to be sure it wasn't a fluke we practiced. lol now iam going to load pattern and try it out. fingers crossed.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 07:51 PM
alright, after much discussion and wd40 we have learned how to place the bit in. Just to be sure it wasn't a fluke we practiced. lol now iam going to load pattern and try it out. fingers crossed.

Please post a picture of your carving when finished. It will tell us a lot about the health of your machine.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 08:04 PM
It is carving, says 2 hour to do job. So 1/16 in and changed to mermaid from pattern site. Hope this works, will post picture and keeping eye on flex shaft temp. Thanks

diverdill
07-19-2013, 08:31 PM
the flex shaft is pretty hot to touch. Should i pause and let cool off?

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
yes! is the head hot too?

Have you done anything to lubricate the flex yet? The recommended lube is very specific. Using something else will almost always cause the flex to get very warm.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
the head is warm, the flex is hot enough i cant keep hand on it. I hit the stop button.The machine only has 30 hr. I was waiting to order oil from LHR. Could not find it on site today. I touch motor and head, nothing but flex appears hot.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
the head is warm, the flex is hot enough i cant keep hand on it. I hit the stop button.

We really need to sort out why your flex is getting so hot then. It really shouldnt ever get above "warm to the touch"... i dont think mine ever get more than 10-15 degrees above ambient temp.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 08:42 PM
You could fry egg on it. So I guess I need that oil. I will call in a.m. and see if they will ship me some.

lynnfrwd
07-19-2013, 08:50 PM
A machine that has sat for several years needs to be lubricated no matter how little hours are on there. Like a car sitting unused in a garage for 3+ years. Lubricant should be online.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 08:51 PM
You could fry egg on it. So I guess I need that oil. I will call in a.m. and see if they will ship me some.
I was/am really hoping that some of the other members would chime in here.. i know several other members have posted pretty detailed instructions of flex shaft maintenance and diagnostics. Some things off the top of my head that can cause the flex to heat are:

wrong lube used on flex.
lubrication has run down flex and accumulated on top of high speed bearing under top hat.
broken or damaged spring in flex sheath
flex not fully inserted in motor or spindle head.
damaged or freyed flex cable.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 09:00 PM
636486364963650This was done before i shut it off. Can you finish this after i lubricate the flex shaft? I have searched that store up and down. No flex shaft oil!!! The are hiding it!!! It was on there the other day for $5 now i cant find it. Well how does the carve look to yall?

fwharris
07-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Here is a link for the lube. http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=24088&cat=393&page=1

Here is a link for another lube (one that I and several others use) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1
You might be able to find it through your local automotive supply shops.

Doug is correct, Connie also, in that if the machine has sat for some time the lube in the shaft might have dried out. You should hold off on doing any carvings until you can get the shaft lubed up. In the mean time while you are waiting for the lube take some time and read/view all that you can in the support section http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/

On your carve, yes you can salvage it by either starting it over or an advanced option is to modify your original project by placing a carve region with a "0" depth setting over the area that has already been carved.

diverdill
07-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Well 12 dollar shipping seems a bit overboard to me. The other is a paste but you use this? I will check out shipping charge if less than 12 dollars i will pick the paste. Thanks Susan

fwharris
07-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Well 12 dollar shipping seems a bit overboard to me. The other is a paste but you use this? I will check out shipping charge if less than 12 dollars i will pick the paste. Thanks Susan

Yes it has more of a paste consistency. To apply it make sure you have disposable gloves on and get a small amount on your finger tips and work it into the flex shaft. Apply it mainly in the center 1/3 of the flex shaft.

If you decide to order the lube from CarveWright you might want to think of other items you might be needing to offset some of the shipping charges..

diverdill
07-20-2013, 01:09 AM
i ordered the paste. I will watch tutorials mean time. If somebody makes good patterns let me know who to ask. I need some nice fossil and native american work. Or can you make pattern from actual objects?
I have a lead on a scanning probe. thanks so much for all of your help. Special thanks to fletcher. let me know about bit, i will paypal you. As I read and watch i will ask questions. thanks again susan

brdad
07-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Be warned if you buy a scanning probe if the software has been activated it is not transferable so you'll have to pay an additional $199 for the pattern editor software.

dbfletcher
07-20-2013, 09:16 AM
i ordered the paste. I will watch tutorials mean time. If somebody makes good patterns let me know who to ask. I need some nice fossil and native american work. Or can you make pattern from actual objects?
I have a lead on a scanning probe. thanks so much for all of your help. Special thanks to fletcher. let me know about bit, i will paypal you. As I read and watch i will ask questions. thanks again susan

Send you a PM. If I hear back from you before 11:30ish, I should be able to get it in the mail today.

lawrence
07-20-2013, 09:18 AM

You and a lot of other customers feel this way. LHR has heard us and has made a decision to not change their shipping policy.

Once again, I want to emphasize what brdad said... if you buy the probe/software from someone and they have activated the software, it will no longer work on your computer because all add on software (including the new version of the designer software) is non-transferable.

The cheapest place I've found the probe/software combo new (and you do very much want the software- it is GREAT) is here for $211
http://www.lowes.com/Search=carvewright?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=carvewright#!

Hope this helps and I hope we can get you up and carving - your passion/desire to get this working shows in your posts and we look welcome you and look forward
to you being a part of our online community here.

Lawrence

diverdill
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks Lawrence, if I get software with probe do I still need centerline software?

dbfletcher
07-20-2013, 10:30 AM
"Need" is a personal choice. The probe/pattern editor have functions entirely different from the centerline add-on. They are both great to have. I think most people generally buy centerline first and then get some of the more advanced options. If you have money to burn, get them both! I have purchsed all of the addon except for 2 (designer 2.0 & vector drawing suite)

lawrence
07-20-2013, 10:31 AM
you do if you want to use the centerline text function (to do "vector" lettering on text)

this is text being "V" carved with centerline - sorry about the high volume, this was a very early video for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1splDQy5aI

The software that the probe comes with is called the Pattern editor. It allows you to clean up or alter the actual "picture" that the machine uses to create the carve (similar to photoshop etc)

One more thing to note is that even if you purchase the centerline text software, you will still need an additional add on (conforming vectors) if you want to be able to do a centerline text onto
a carve (or region). To picture how this works think of it this way- basic centerlne allows you to use a pen to write onto the surface of a desk, but the conforming vectors add on allows you to "write" with the v carving onto a shape-- like signing a basketball (the writing follows the contour of the ball)

If this wasn't confusing enough... (sorry, I'm trying...) there is one more thing to note about centerline. Even if you buy the centerline text function and conforming vectors, you are not getting the newest version of the centerline software... this comes in the 2xx add on package (but to use the centerline or conforming vectors within this package you must already have purchased the basic centerline functions)

Here is a quick pic-
1- centerline onto the surface of the board
2- centerline without conforming vectors- the writing only shows at the surface of the carve... like a boat skipping on top of the water
3- centerline with conforming vectors- the writing follows the contours of the carve, like a car following the up and down contours of a road

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/4_zps1f40f070.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/4_zps1f40f070.jpg.html)

Please let us know when you have more questions- we love to help

Lawrence

diverdill
07-20-2013, 06:00 PM
thanks, fletcher. look forward to arrival.

diverdill
07-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Wow, that is a mouthful. I think I understand. On my little mermaid I moved her and changed size, but when it started to carve it was nothing like what my picture of her . She was alot smaller. If I had vector then it would of worked right? Vector being a math program basically that manipulates by expanding or compressing the equation right?

aokweld101
07-20-2013, 06:20 PM
I haven't made the patterns but this might be something to go on.

lawrence
07-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Wow, that is a mouthful. I think I understand. On my little mermaid I moved her and changed size, but when it started to carve it was nothing like what my picture of her . She was alot smaller. If I had vector then it would of worked right? Vector being a math program basically that manipulates by expanding or compressing the equation right?

No.... I'm not sure we're on the same page....

Think of vector carving like a pen writing on a pencil... the bit follows a "line" like the above video.
When you do vector cutouts or carves, you can use assign and use several different kinds of bits- the bit to your left is a v-90 bit and is used for vector carves
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/2_zpsf95ed90f.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/2_zpsf95ed90f.jpg.html)
Raster carving is different (and it what it appears your mermaid is) is where the board moves slowly through the machine and the carving bit goes back and forth and up and down,
leaving the carve behind. Here is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZyk2tDcY04

raster carves are only done with the carving bits - most commonly the 1/16 carving bit which looks like this
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/3_zps2f0ffeb8.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/3_zps2f0ffeb8.jpg.html)

The bit in your picture appears to be a 1/16 carving bit.

I hope this helps,
Lawrence

diverdill
07-20-2013, 09:21 PM
I have to go to tnn for a few days. I might get lucky and find some wood. Maybe somebody selling out their carving chisels (two cherry please or nice Swiss ones ) he he Any how take care and I'll have received my oil by then and can be trying again. I will read some more and try to grasp what your saying. Which woods do you feel carve best? As I am in florida, the one I have the most of is, cypress, cedar, and some ebony which Iam pretty sure is so darn hard you could not carve it. I need to find a mill, buying boards at lowes in not practical. While Iam on my adventure I will seek out better sources. Did I mention I bought a plainer? I know bogles the mind, my husband is going to bring up some cypress planks for me. They are 8inch thick , i was hoping to carve them for mantles. The old saw mill colapesed in the 1800's and all these planks are laying down there. I find myself hankering for a chain saw...he he

lawrence
07-20-2013, 09:29 PM
funny enough- the harder the stock the better- If you find a good lumber dealer you can get just about anything... as far as domestic hardwoods go- maple carves really nicely as does walnut and cherry. Mahogany and oak can both get some splintering issues, but can certainly be carved with a little extra care. Cyprus and Cedar are both softwoods and though there is no hard and fast rule, strangely enough the softer the wood the more difficult it is to get a good carve without creating "fuzzies". (This being said, I've carved some old growth longleaf pine that felt harder than maple)

I was raised in FL (Tallahassee) and my folks are in Monticello. Dad has a Carvewright and I help him out when I can with it.

We're here to help when you need it- (heck, I'm usually here even if folks don't need it... this is the benefit/detriment of having a computer in the shop)
Lawrence

johnsonswamp
07-21-2013, 08:21 AM
I was raised in FL (Tallahassee) and my folks are in Monticello. Dad has a Carvewright and I help him out when I can with it.

Lawrence

I'm just outside of Tallahassee.

Diverdill, what part of florida are you in? May be able to point you in the direction of some lumber.

aokweld101
07-21-2013, 08:48 AM
If they are 8'' thick there is a sawmill in bruce fl. that will cut them for you. as the carvewright limits are at 5"

diverdill
07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Panama City Florida in tnn right now

diverdill
07-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Bruce ok might just need them.

johnsonswamp
07-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Panama City Florida in tnn right now
It's a small world after all lol. I'm only about 45min to an hour away, dead in between pc and tallahassee.

diverdill
07-25-2013, 05:21 PM
panama city

diverdill
07-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Want to teach? How long you been using your carvewright. I'am already looking at larger cnc, i think Iam addicted already and I haven't made anything yet!!!

diverdill
07-25-2013, 06:50 PM
hi, Iam back. I was able to buy some red cedar 10' planks. I was looking for slabs about 5-6 feet long 2 feet wide. The only ones I found some chain saw guy wanted a fortune for. First thing this morning i oiled the flex shaft and ran a test. That new software Design 2.0 mentioned center line improvements, do you stll have centerline to buy if you update with new software?6374463745Here is shot of how its carving, the flex did not get hot at all.

fwharris
07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Looking good so far. Yes you would still need to purchase centerline software. Great time to do so with the sale going on right now...

diverdill
07-26-2013, 12:39 PM
CENTERLINE AND VECTORS just got.

dbfletcher
07-26-2013, 12:47 PM
I assume you received your cutting bit earlier this week?

diverdill
07-26-2013, 07:41 PM
YES!!! thanks!!! Iam having trouble finding threads!! Wanted to thank you. I got centerline and Vector but need tutorial still, havent had time to watch yet. Also got cam shaft molly oil, works great!!

johnsonswamp
07-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Want to teach? How long you been using your carvewright. I'am already looking at larger cnc, i think Iam addicted already and I haven't made anything yet!!!

I'm not good at teaching, I've had my machine since 2007 I think and just in the past year or so really started using it. I mostly use it for cutting out pieces for children's furniture and for text.

Check out Redwood Bay lumber 674-8464, very friendly people with good prices, have tons of wood.

lynnfrwd
07-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Sometimes just getting together, sharing what you know and exploring together turns into a great learning experience.

diverdill
07-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for lumber tip. I understand about teaching, i teach for local college. Childrens furninture with a carvewright? Wow!! Can't imagine that one. I would have thought u need one of those large cnc to do that. thanks again.

johnsonswamp
07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks for lumber tip. I understand about teaching, i teach for local college. Childrens furninture with a carvewright? Wow!! Can't imagine that one. I would have thought u need one of those large cnc to do that. thanks again.

It works OK, when I can afford it I plan to get a bigger machine, if I were to do it over again that's what I would have started with as they are far better suited for what I do. Here is a few things the CW can do, every piece cut with the machine.

diverdill
07-28-2013, 04:33 PM
that is incredible, never would have thought it could do that!! I know I've been looking at larger too!!! Found one in canada but the shipping was unreal!! I love the chair, does kid come with pattern? He's a cutey. The cradle is lovely. I will have to search patterns. I've only seen flat stuff, like signs. No furniture at all. Those are really nice. Can't believe you did that!!

johnsonswamp
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM
The cool thing about it is that no other cutting is needed, just sand, finish and assemble. I have yet to see anyone besides me make furniture with it, but that is in no way saying no one else does. There's a guy on here that makes nice musical instruments with his. The chair can be cut out and assembled in just a couple hours.

Coming up with furniture patterns is a hit or miss. Think of it as measuring, cutting and assembling all in your head, you have to lay everything out in designer, go back and forth making sure everything will fit in said spot and HOPE that you didn't miss anything. When I'm making something I usually have a tape measure in hand to put all the actual sizes in perspective as it's easy to get lost in designer looking at small cut outs and thinking one is to big/small. And prepare to waste wood as you make and re-make it until you get it the way you want, and each time you assemble you will likely find something to change up to make it easier or better.

The machine can do half lap, dadoes, mortise & tenon, and even box joint's, all of which are great for furniture. The connected line tool and select bit is how they can be done. You just have to square the joints up with a chisel.

Capt Bruce
07-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Diverdill,

Don't let the size of the CarveWright fool you as to what it can make when it comes to furniture like projects. Just a few photos of past projects made entirely with the CW. Others here on the Forum make Adirondak chairs, tables and any number of larger projects. Glad you're getting into the craft and letting your imagination thrive.
We're all here to help.

63777 63778 63779 63780 63781 63782 63783

Hope these give you some more thoughts.

diverdill
07-28-2013, 07:04 PM
blow me away, what great work. You guys are really talented. Iam starting out with zero knowledge. I don't know zip. So I need to stick with push that button and grease that pole. lol Soon I hope to be creating something worth while.

Capt Bruce
07-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Just so I don't give a false impression about doing dovetails, the photo of the boat step above for East Star was done with CW for the top and a dovetail jig for the base side joints. The machine and I are still debating how to best cut a version of dovetails completely on the CW. Someday the CW and I will come to an agreement and work this through together. It is jealous of some of my other woodworking tools. Enjoy

aokweld101
08-25-2013, 04:06 PM
the original post was about getting bits though lowe's I ordered and received a new flex shaft and oil from LHR I won't get the oil can that says "FOR EXTREME USE"... it doesn't work...well back the post I just ordered another 1/16 cutting bit and a 1/8 cutting bit just to have them at hand from LHR, I would rather pay the extra money and get them in a timely manor than to wait a month and half. This time last year I waited that long for the bits then I tried to get them from LHR and the bits where on back order and didn't get the bits till after Christmas. I just wanted to remind everyone to get a early start on what you think you might need before the season starts!!!

Ilonaco
08-26-2013, 12:13 AM
My flex heated up because the bearings went out in the head that rotates the bit. It caused the motor to work harder and put strain on the shaft. I replaced the head and problem solved.