PDA

View Full Version : Quilt Box

Ropdoc
04-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Hello all,

The women of my small group are making a quilt for our Pastor and his family. The quilt is the Lord's prayer. They lost their son a couple weeks back. It is heart breaking. Now I do not sew but I have the guys helping me with a box for the quilt. One side will have the Tree of Life, the other a bible and the top will be a Cross. The front is the most important of all. I want to carve his picture. I have tried and tried to make it work. But all I get is a mess. Either the hair and shoulders stand out wrong and the eyes are sunk in. I just can't do it. Would anyone be willing to fix this file for me? I really need help.

If you want to follow me, I have a facebook page Anderson Creation's that I have the small group watch me on.

Thank you

bergerud
04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
How about a back painted litho? Lithos seem to work better than wood for faces.

Ropdoc
04-24-2013, 10:55 PM
That is a really good idea. However the group decided on wood.

Alan Malmstrom
04-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Sorry to hear about the families loss. I worked on the photo a little. Maybe you can use this.

lawrence
04-25-2013, 12:17 AM
I worked on it a little and here's a 2 color rendition- it still needs some work, but it's a start

I'm very sorry for your friends' loss.

Lawrence

jmoriearty
04-25-2013, 07:45 AM
I had to do a memorial sign a couple of weeks ago and she wanted a face carved into it. For a while I thought I was going to have to hand carve it. I finally found the tutorial and it helped a lot. Basically, carving the face VERY shallow, .08", fixed almost all of the depth problems with eyes etc. It came out looking fantastic. Since then I have been working with other photos just to experiment, and it's doing great. Staining the face to bring out the details has been the hardest part. Definitely want to use a conditioner. Today I'm going to try a light color stain for the base and then wipe on a darker color and see how well that works for bringing out details.

Good Luck! I hope the box comes out fantastic!

Ropdoc
04-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Thank you all for your work. I will try when i get home.

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
You could also make a Quilt Rack...

Ropdoc
04-25-2013, 01:51 PM
The small group talked about a quilt rack. If you look at my past post I have several designs. But for this instance the box met our needs better.

Thank you for the idea.

Ropdoc
04-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the families loss. I worked on the photo a little. Maybe you can use this.

61898I tried the image but it is to washed out. It is exactly what I am looking for but all the feature blend together. I apologize. I just do not know how to do this part, and I do not want to sound ungreatful. This is such a special box. I want to make sure that when my Pastor sees Matthew's image it is respectful of him and who he was. I hope that makes since. Is there a way to give the greyscale more depth?

Ropdoc
04-25-2013, 06:34 PM
I worked on it a little and here's a 2 color rendition- it still needs some work, but it's a start

I'm very sorry for your friends' loss.

Lawrence

I wish I had time. I would love to convert this into a vector image (line and arcs) and then cut it out. I have to have everything built by Mother's day.

Thank you so much for taking the time to work on this all of you.

Dave

dehrlich
04-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Al, how long do you make the spreaders? Do you sell a lot of those?

Alan Malmstrom
04-26-2013, 10:39 AM
I tried the image but it is to washed out. It is exactly what I am looking for but all the feature blend together. I apologize. I just do not know how to do this part, and I do not want to sound ungreatful. This is such a special box. I want to make sure that when my Pastor sees Matthew's image it is respectful of him and who he was. I hope that makes since. Is there a way to give the greyscale more depth?

Most of the detail on a height map like this would be acheived by finishing it in such a way that the darker areas would stain darker such as if you used gel stain and wiped it off the higher areas. I've touched up the image a little bit making the darks a little deeper. Here is the image. Maybe you can put a photo with glass on the box. Maybe that would be a better option.

Digitalwoodshop
04-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Al, how long do you make the spreaders? Do you sell a lot of those?

Sorry to go off topic...

I make the spreaders 36 inches. Have not sold any in about 3 years... In the Craft Show days they were popular. The return on investment was poor... Granny just did not want to pay a fair price for all the work and materials.

The advantage of this design is that you can remove the rails for Shipping and also you can make cloth sleeves to go over the rails to protect the finish from getting on the Quilt. I remember a lady telling me of buying a Quilt Rack years earlier that damaged a priceless family quilt when the finish was tacky and marked the quilt.

When I was asked at a show to make a 6 rail version and turn the points up to make a Book CD Rack that became a Wine Rack and Wine Racks DO SELL... For me, the Bears and Deer with No text sold the best...

I try to sell stuff for 3 times material cost... With Quilt Racks I covered the material cost but not much more...

AL

Ropdoc
06-10-2013, 09:52 PM

This is the progress of the quilt chest for my pastor. I am in the process of staining and then clearcoat. Hope to deliver it next week. It will be great to see a smile on his face instead of tears.

chebytrk
06-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Very Nice Ropdoc! He will really like the box I'm sure. Excellent job... Congrats! What are the dimensions?

lawrence
06-11-2013, 08:29 AM
That is a very classy looking project that is both well designed and well made.

Thanks for letting us share (a little) in your planning process; your final result is looking great.

Lawrence

Ropdoc
06-11-2013, 09:03 AM
What are the dimensions?

Inside dimensions are 20 x 20 x 9. The women in our small group are making the quilt with the Lord's prayer. It will go inside. And all the guys are carving something from the heart out of Cedar.

Thank you for the compliments.

Capt Bruce
06-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Beautifully done Ropdoc. We hope you'll share a photo when it is surface funished as that should really bring out the carving details. Again a great project with a wonderful purpose and I'm sure it will be treasured.

SharonB
06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
The quilt box really looks nice. Please don't forget to show pictures when you are finished.

Ropdoc
06-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Well it is finished. Had to use my router and chisels to finish. But got it. My carvewright died about half way thru. Just waiting for the quilt to be finished.

peep
06-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Very nice,

SharonB
06-25-2013, 05:36 PM
That came out very nice. It will not only hold a quilt but lots of memories for you and the lucky recipient of your labors.

TerryT
06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Beautiful, nice work.

mtylerfl
06-25-2013, 09:04 PM
That is beautiful indeed! Very nice design and finish!

Capt Bruce
07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Beautifully Done Ropdoc,
It is going to be treasured.
Don't you hate it when our faithful companion the CW dies halfway through a project . . . do I stop working and go into repair mode or soldier on trying to use those carving and carpentry skills I still have (getting somewhat rusty) to complete the current task?

Again be proud of your beautiful project as completed and congratulations.

B.K. Dalton
07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
That looks awesome...!