PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole Tool Designer 1.187

chief2007
04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Posting some pictures of keyholes made with the keyhole tool in Designer 1.187.

Great add on and I can see I will be using this function a lot.

Set up and laying out of the design was simple, only took a couple of minutes to complete both keyholes.

If you don't have it, I recommend getting it, it is well worth the cost.

Maybe someday LHR will sell just the software license, but I know they need to ensure the proper bit is use to function correctly with the machine.

What you will save in saw tooth hangers, d rings, etc. in just a few carvings will pay for the software and bit. I had the same keyhole bit already, but just took the approach that I now have a spare bit in the event one breaks or chips.

aokweld101
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I have just ordered it. It's in the mail.....patiently waiting......................

rcdages
04-25-2013, 12:52 AM
I have also placed my order for the keyhole yesterday.

Looking forward to using it.

mtylerfl
04-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Ordered mine the first day it became available - it's a great value!

Cabinetdesigner
04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Since it comes with the bit are they charging $12 shipping or is it includes in the $40?

bergerud
04-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Of course $12 shipping. $45 if you live in Canada.

Bigtyme
04-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Mine is on its way as well. I am looking forward to being able to use it. I have a number of the keyhole bits already as many others do, but the software is worth it to me for the price....

bergerud
04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Posting some pictures of keyholes made with the keyhole tool in Designer 1.187.

Great add on and I can see I will be using this function a lot.

Set up and laying out of the design was simple, only took a couple of minutes to complete both keyholes.

What does the machine do if you press stop or lift the cover while the bit is under? Does it move the bit back to the hole before lifting or does it not lift?

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 11:42 AM
What does the machine do if you press stop or lift the cover while the bit is under? Does it move the bit back to the hole before lifting or does it not lift?

LOL...bergerud, you never let me down.

Short answer is: DON'T DO IT.

Long answer is: The bit should wind down and come to a stop without it being an issue, but there are several factors involved and it is not suggested that you test it.

bergerud
04-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Just checking. I guess I will have to buy it to find out. (You know I will try it!)

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I know you will.....

gregsolano
04-25-2013, 09:01 PM
According to Metallus (the firmware lord) the keyhole add on includes.

1. It's a visual representation of the keyhole on the board.
2. Selectable length and direction of keyhole
3. Properly ejects the bit if an error occurs (stop, cover, power fluctuation, etc.)

bergerud
04-25-2013, 09:54 PM
I guess the question is: What does "Properly ejects the bit if an error occurs (stop, cover, power fluctuation, etc.)" really mean?

If the machine tracks the bit back to the hole to lift it out, I can see problems. Suppose, for example, that the bit starts to come out of the chuck and digs in. You see this and press stop. The x drive tries to backtrack and an x gear breaks.

I can see that "bullet proofing" this is a difficult problem. The safer, but inconvienent, solution would be just to stop and not move. The bit would have to removed by the user.

I will be interested to see the programmers' solution.

lynnfrwd
04-25-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm told the bit should just stop spinning, but "don't try this at home". I don't think we've seen any issues thus far. It's a simple, short operation. Let it finish.

(Yes, I already told bergerud, I know he will.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMarkey
04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
The bit moves quickly back and out of the hole, before the cut motor stops spinning.

mtylerfl
04-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Something I noticed...

After placing a Keyhole, you can edit it's direction/length after the fact by double-clicking it (the keyhole edit window pops up). Note, however, that the Depth input box will now be blank and you will need to manually re-enter the depth (the default is filled in with a depth value of 0.325" when first placed).

aokweld101
04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
I just recieved my bit and activation code before I can do anything I have to wait on Lowe's for my cut bits thats taken a month to get....darn Lowe's,...they know I'm not a happy camper....

Dan-Woodman
04-27-2013, 04:43 PM
What other bit does the feed rate compare to. Such as some people say the 1/4" roundnose bit feedrate is first gear. Anyone who does much woodworking at all would already have a keyhole bit or three. That's expensive software, but I can see for the saftey of the machine they want the bit matching the software.

cestout
04-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Is the bit naked or does it have the CT (or QC) adaptor?

chief2007
04-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Is the bit naked or does it have the CT (or QC) adaptor?

It is naked. You can get it with the QC adapter for $10.00 more.

Dan-Woodman
04-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Woodline has (CMT ) 1/2 in shank keyhole bits for 26.78. (no adapter needed) They also have keyhole bits for $9.20 , 1/4" shank.

Dodadd1
05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Would these work for a reducer?
http://www.woodline.com/p-2099-collet-reducer.aspx

CNC Carver
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Dodadd1 those will work for adapters.

bergerud
05-05-2013, 07:28 PM
The bit moves quickly back and out of the hole, before the cut motor stops spinning.

That is not what my machine does! I think you must have changed your mind on that one. The machine just stops without lifting the bit. The safest thing to do.

Sorry, but I had to try it.

I must say that it really is a nice feature that works well. Now if I can only figure out how to use it to make dovetail joints.

Edit: The machine stops in place if you lift the cover or press stop. It does, however, start up and back out of the hole as Metallus said if you press stop again.

So this could be important: If for some reason, the bit becomes jammed or movement is restricted, do not press stop twice. Press stop once and then turn off the machine.

Dan-Woodman
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't see why the same file couldn't be used for dovetails. Just start keyhole program ( with a dovetail bit ) off the end of the board.

bergerud
05-05-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't see why the same file couldn't be used for dovetails. Just start keyhole program ( with a dovetail bit ) off the end of the board.

How to do the tail?

http://www.fablabenschede.nl/sites/default/files/routed-half-blind-dovetail-drawers-3.jpg

Dan-Woodman
05-06-2013, 12:54 PM
The tails would be a different story. You would have to do them the old fashion way.
I mentioned to LRH several years ago , they should come out with a CNC horizontal router. That would be perfect for doing dovetails , box joints, tounge and groove, etc.

RMarkey
05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
That is not what my machine does!

Thanks for testing. That code was written so long ago that I forgot the details. :wink: