PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased the 3d modeling suite. Need guidance.

kcc2012
04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
I just purchased the 3D Modeling Suite and played around with it yesterday. I am now beginning to question my purchase so the forum I go to seek rescue. First of all my reasoning for getting the 3D Modeling Suite is to make wood carvings from religious Icons and scenes from photographs. A few weeks ago my priest approached me and asked me about creating something special that can be given to people who come to our Church during the summer as mission workers and to sale items that are unique to Kodiak which tourist can buy from our bookstore. so I was thinking that the modeling suite would help me in importing jpegs of antique and unique Icons etc... to make patterns for carving. now that you know what I am wanting to do and before I get frustrated because I really don't know what I am doing and don't know if the software is designed for this task I ask you dear people to Guide me.

mtylerfl
04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
I just purchased the 3D Modeling Suite and played around with it yesterday. I am now beginning to question my purchase so the forum I go to seek rescue. First of all my reasoning for getting the 3D Modeling Suite is to make wood carvings from religious Icons and scenes from photographs. A few weeks ago my priest approached me and asked me about creating something special that can be given to people who come to our Church during the summer as mission workers and to sale items that are unique to Kodiak which tourist can buy from our bookstore. so I was thinking that the modeling suite would help me in importing jpegs of antique and unique Icons etc... to make patterns for carving. now that you know what I am wanting to do and before I get frustrated because I really don't know what I am doing and don't know if the software is designed for this task I ask you dear people to Guide me.

Watch the Jet Plane video tutorial located at the CarveWright website to get the steps down for creating a nice relief model from a photo...it shows how to import a photo, draw the vectors, then apply modeling (puffing, sweeps, etc.). This is the basic procedure used for creating a relief model in all pixel-based CAM software programs.

kcc2012
04-22-2013, 01:17 PM
I did watch both videos. I was thinking this morning I would need the 2D vector suite (I do not have a cad program) and it seems like thats what your saying.

jpaluck
04-22-2013, 01:37 PM
One thing I can tell you from experience it will take A LOT of practice. I don't have the modeling tools from CW but recently bought Aspire. I am picking it up very quickly but that is based off of all the other modeling I have done - been playing with it for a few years now. From what I have seen of the CW tools it looks like you should be able to do what you want but with some practice. Other thing - start simple. Make simple things an shapes to learn the tools. The human form - ie religious icons - is one of the hardest to model IMO an will require some artistic abilities. Just remember there is a learning curve.

kcc2012
04-22-2013, 02:36 PM
That learning curve gets me every time. I think I frustrated my self by trying to do to complicated of patterns.
You mentioned Aspire, did you get the one offered in the CarveWright store?

kcc2012
04-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Sorry that's Albrie they have in the CarveWright store.