PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sign

mtylerfl
02-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Hello,

This is my first simple project...a sign to be fastened to a tree pointing the direction to my in-laws' cabin on the bank of a lake in Northern Maine (hence, the reason for the moose!).

Primed with KILZ, painted final colors, finished with a clearcoat.

Ron Smith
02-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Looks pretty good to me. You'll have lots of fun and hopefully make some money as you go along. Mine's already paid for itself. Keep posting the nice pictures.

Ron

Randy in Minn
02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Nice job and color scheme. How are you guys joining the circle and rectangle together as one?

mtylerfl
02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
How are you guys joining the circle and rectangle together as one?

Hello Randy,

For the inside recessed area, I simply drew a circle and a rectangle, overlapped them, then specifed a "carve region" for each at the same depth. Quick-n-easy.

The outer portion was more of a challenge. I had to draw an arc for the outer part of the circle, then drew the outer lines for the rectangle.

I joined the line nodes with the arc nodes - had to play with the arc to get a reasonably accurate outer circular shape. If I recall, I turned on the "snap to grid" option to make sure the lines were straight when making the rectangle shape.

I'd like to learn an easier way to do this- maybe someone else out there has a better (simpler) method than what I did. (?)

I posted the .mpc file awhile back. Maybe it would help for you to take a lokk at it. The mpc is located here:
http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3957&highlight=#3957

Randy in Minn
02-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks! Will give it a shot and see.

pwngsd
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the idea for my first sign and intro in the software!

I took the point off the arrow, changed the moose head to a German Shepherd Dog silhouette, and of course, changed the name.

It came out pretty good except I missed centering the out cricle and inner circle and it was offset. I'm going to try it again later.

Again, thanks for inspiration to dive into my first project and start to learn the software.

-Paul