PDA

View Full Version : The machine is veering off the wood!!!

Outerside
04-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I have been carving this big pattern. Four hours or so in to it the carving starts moving to the right and off the wood. Always in the same place. Never had this problem before. This carving is suppose to be done by middle of may, so please HELP.

fwharris
04-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Have you double checked your project to insure you do not have any strange lines on it?

Have you tried reformatting the card and re loading your project?

If you can post your project for a look see...

Outerside
04-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Have you double checked your project to insure you do not have any strange lines on it?

Have you tried reformatting the card and re loading your project?

If you can post your project for a look see...

It's a double pattern expanding over two different broads. This is the first broad.

fwharris
04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Nothing obvious in your project. When you say "carving starts moving to the right and off the wood. Always in the same place." is this meaning at the deers feet or off of the right end of the board?

Outerside
04-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Nothing obvious in your project. When you say "carving starts moving to the right and off the wood. Always in the same place." is this meaning at the deers feet or off of the right end of the board?

At the deer feet. Its always right as it hits the first back leg and starts moving off the wood. About an inch in from there it's carving off the wood. It is a big file size can only put one pattern at a time on the card, but that should not be the problem.

fwharris
04-20-2013, 06:48 PM
I would try re formatting the card and re load the project. It might of been corrupted in some way..

Outerside
04-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I'll try doing that and see what happens. If it works Thanks if not I'll be back.

Digitalwoodshop
04-20-2013, 07:40 PM
This is a classic Y Gear Box Bearings are SHOT.... and when a Difficult Carving part comes up, the STRESS on the Y causes the Y Gear to move away from the Servo Motor Splined Shaft. Once it slips a single tooth... The Return Stroke of the Y will now be a tooth or MANY TEETH off and the Cut starts working off the board...

That is after the Software Stray Lines stuff is eliminated...
How Many Cut Hours and have you replaced the 2 Y Gear Box inner Bearings? http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

A DULL bit can contribute to this but if the Y is slipping teeth... Replace the bearings and see if the Y Gear Shaft is worn YET? If worn, LHR sells the plastic gear and shaft.

AL

gashawk
04-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Is there a plastic disc on the back side of the y motor that counts rpm or distance? Could that get dusty creating a false count?

bergerud
04-21-2013, 12:31 AM
All three servo motors have an optical disk at the back which are used to keep track of the x,y, and z positions. I do not think, however, that the y disk is the source of your problem. Your problem has to do, I think, with load. Something must be slipping. Do as Al suggested and check the y system. Does the y motor system seem tight or is there some slop?

Even if you do not find the problem, a sharp bit on best might make it through the project.

You could design a smaller project (where the bit plunges from shallow to deep) to help trouble shoot.

gashawk
04-21-2013, 02:05 AM
All three servo motors have an optical disk at the back which are used to keep track of the x,y, and z positions. I do not think, however, that the y disk is the source of your problem. Your problem has to do, I think, with load. Something must be slipping. Do as Al suggested and check the y system. Does the y motor system seem tight or is there some slop?

Even if you do not find the problem, a sharp bit on best might make it through the project.

You could design a smaller project (where the bit plunges from shallow to deep) to help trouble shoot.

I don't really know what else I could have done to correct the proplem, also giving the rectangle a medium draft can change the carve.

Outerside
04-21-2013, 09:59 AM
This is a classic Y Gear Box Bearings are SHOT.... and when a Difficult Carving part comes up, the STRESS on the Y causes the Y Gear to move away from the Servo Motor Splined Shaft. Once it slips a single tooth... The Return Stroke of the Y will now be a tooth or MANY TEETH off and the Cut starts working off the board...

That is after the Software Stray Lines stuff is eliminated...
How Many Cut Hours and have you replaced the 2 Y Gear Box inner Bearings? http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

A DULL bit can contribute to this but if the Y is slipping teeth... Replace the bearings and see if the Y Gear Shaft is worn YET? If worn, LHR sells the plastic gear and shaft.

AL

This seems to be the problem more. I know every once in a blue moon during the measuring when it tells you to insert the bit I would get a error "check Y belt" (or something like that). So I would turn the machine off and then it would be fine.

Digitalwoodshop
04-21-2013, 01:21 PM
The Clean or Check the Y Belt is a symptom of bad inner gearbox bearings... That can also be a Frozen Y roller rail bearing. What happens is that a frozen bearing slides during normal operation but then as the cutting gets DEEP and under load the roller bearing stops slipping and jams the truck and the servo slips and you get the offset error.

Another symptom of a bad inner bearing is 3 clicks at the bit plate... Most like me early on would find the Y Drive Belt loose as the inner bearings were SHOT... I would Tighten the Belt.... Making the problem even worse.... Plus in the picture above you can see the Worn Thin Gear has RUB marks on the area near the belt. Rubbing on the U part of the frame...

And Even I had Dust inside my Encoder.... Like posted below.

And what is your cut motor hours.... WE recommend changing the inner Y Gear Box Bearings every 250 Cut Hours.... IF you have 450 hours and have never changed the bearings then that is the problem... It took me a FEW Gear Boxes before I finally understood the problem...

AL