PDA

View Full Version : Share EPS files

pkunk
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Please use this sticky for files only. Make a new post to discuss them. :)

pkunk
02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
max is 2 mb. can we increase that for this topic please//?

i would really like to share these..
Beyond my powers. Break up your folders into smaller sizes.

dragoncarver
09-15-2007, 04:21 PM
has anyone used blanks (boards glued together) i have lots of small peices of wood i can glue together and plane

Mikewiz
09-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey

I have done several projects with boards I glued together. All of them came out fine exept for one. I guess I didn't joint the edges enough cause you could see a space where the pieces joined, after the carve.

RanUtah
09-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Call me stupid but what is a .eps file?

Billions
09-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Not a stupid question, the suffix ".eps" in computer-file terminology is an acronym for "Encapsulated PostScript," and is refferring to a language Adobe created and started licensing to companies many years ago to describe illustrations, fonts, etc. in a 'resolution independent' way, meaning that (and this is a very simplistic explaination) rather than a drawn object being described by how many pixels wide it is (which can vary based on what device is displaying or outputting it), an object is described mathematically at it's actual measured size, and the pixels needed to draw it (or carve it) are set _after_ the shape is sent to the device outputting it.

This means that a 1-inch circle will be 1 inch, on a 300 pixel-per-inch PostScript laser printer, a 2400-pixel-per-inch PostScript imagesetter, a vinyl cutter, etc, rather than changing size from one device to another device's output.

It's a file type and is commonly used by programs like Adobe Illustrator, etc, called 'vector-based' drawing programs, as opposed to Photoshop, which is based around set x-y resolutions of pixels, commonly called 'raster-based.' The advantage is that a logo created in a vector-based program can be various sizes, from 1 inch to 10 feet or beyond, and the device outputting it will create the logo at the highest resolution it can, rather than a photoshop 'raster' pixel image that is, for example, 500 x 500 pixels - it might look fine at smaller scales, but if you try to blow it up to 10 feet, 500 pixels will become very discernable, and probably not desirable. Also, since vector files are formulas and descriptions of the shape, rather than huge, dense pixel-based files, a vector file can be much smaller, even if it's describing a 10 foot-logo.

The truth is, you need to pick which type of file to use for each project - a logo like the old cingular logo could very easily be described efficiently by an eps vector line-art file, while a family photo is too complicated to benefit from vector art, unless you wanted an artisitic effect. You can save a photo as an eps (it's not going to keep the photo from becoming pixelated at larger scales), but this is usually only done to allow it to be imported into another program for layout, as the .eps format can also store info about photo seperation for printing, etc.

Glossed over a lot of stuff, probably some innaccuracies in there and it STILL wound up long... Sorry!

Not the best explaination but that might get you started...

The interesting thing to me here (maybe I have missed somthing new!) is that I don't believe that Designer can import .eps files, can it? Has something been updated? I don't know for sure, as I only received my Carvewright on Thursday, and haven't even opened it as I've been so busy... That would be very exciting however, as I was under the impression that you had to convert the file by importing it into Photoshop and rasterizing it there at the Carvewright's carving resolution.

Anyway... This is going on and on, so I'm ending my post now!

Bill

jlitz
09-16-2007, 04:23 PM
The interesting thing to me here (maybe I have missed somthing new!) is that I don't believe that Designer can import .eps files, can it? Has something been updated? I don't know for sure, as I only received my Carvewright on Thursday, and haven't even opened it as I've been so busy... That would be very exciting however, as I was under the impression that you had to convert the file by importing it into Photoshop and rasterizing it there at the Carvewright's carving resolution.
Bill

Unless a super secret version exists, Designer does not import .eps files or any other vector format other than its proprietary format or fonts. A few people have been successful in creating custom fonts to import vector data. I started working on an .ai/.eps to .mpc conversion tool with some success, though I’ve had very little time to work on it recently.

Billions
09-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the 'Centerline' software sounds like the modern-day equivalent to Adobe's ATM software many many years ago, a software postscript rasterizer that would allow postscript fonts to be properly rendered on screen and to a non-postscript printer - and I immediately thought of how I used to use Fontographer to create a font with some vector-art logos instead of letters - I was wondering if that sort of work-around would allow line-art files to be run on the Carvewright.

...And as for that utility you're talking about for ai file conversion, well, you would certainly be my hero if you got something like that working, and if the cost was reasonable, I would buy a plug-in or utility from you.