PDA

View Full Version : How can I 'extrude' this 2D image?

TurtleCove
04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
The attached file is a 2D image of a picture frame.
Is it possible, in Designer, to sort of "extrude" this image, so I can carve just a 10" long piece of this frame?
Don't worry about the rabbit on the bottom....that I can do on my jointer easy enough. But the .mpc is a 2D image looking at a cross section of the picture frame design.

How can migrate this from a 2D image, to a 3D carve? Is it even possible?

mtylerfl
04-15-2013, 02:23 PM
If you own the 3D Suite, it is a simple task to extrude a moulding shape as in your example. I believe the tutorial videos show the steps.

gashawk
04-15-2013, 03:20 PM
The carving would be over 2inches deep. Is layering an option with 3d carve?

lawrence
04-15-2013, 03:25 PM
it is if you export the file as an STL and slice it and then carve it as two (or 3 if required) carves... To do this requires the STL importer

Lawrence

mtylerfl
04-15-2013, 04:20 PM
The carving would be over 2inches deep. Is layering an option with 3d carve?

I assume the profile/cutaway view was not actually drawn to scale...I think it was just for showing an example of the profile's shape. But, I could be wrong.

If it IS indeed over 2" thick afterall, then as Lawrence suggested, the STL slicing and subsequent glue-up is the way to go for a thick item like that.

CarveWright offers us some mighty powerful and useful tools...save up some pennies, then buy 'em and enjoy 'em!

TurtleCove
04-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Gashawk, did you use the 3D Suite to do this?

Correct, my intention is not for it to be over 2" deep. I plan on cutting down the bottom, such that the rabbit on the underside is only 1/8" or 1/4" deep.
How did you achieve this, Gashawk?

TurtleCove
04-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Is the only way (that you folks can think of) to extrude a moulding shape like, is to use the 3D Suite?
Designer itself, won't, right?

bjbethke
04-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Is the only way (that you folks can think of) to extrude a moulding shape like, is to use the 3D Suite?
Designer itself, won't, right?

You could use the Wolfie's Gradient and make a grayscale image.

gashawk
04-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Gashawk, did you use the 3D Suite to do this?

Correct, my intention is not for it to be over 2" deep. I plan on cutting down the bottom, such that the rabbit on the underside is only 1/8" or 1/4" deep.
How did you achieve this, Gashawk?

Yes I used 3D extrude. Just copied the pattern then used copy and paste and then flip . You can then make it smaller by dragging the corner.

spalted
04-16-2013, 05:33 AM
I think many molding profiles could be made with a combination of bits that come with the machine too.
I've done with a shaper to match molding, but it's the same concept.

TurtleCove
04-17-2013, 07:14 PM
I tried to figure out how the extrude tool would work for something like this, and I couldn't figure it out.
Before I buy it, I'd like to try it.
Anyone know if a good tutorial exists for that?
I tried the tutorial of the guy tracing a jet plane, but that didn't help....

bergerud
04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
I tried to figure out how the extrude tool would work for something like this, and I couldn't figure it out.
Before I buy it, I'd like to try it.
Anyone know if a good tutorial exists for that?
I tried the tutorial of the guy tracing a jet plane, but that didn't help....

If you are trying to make a picture frame, you want sweep, not extrude. Is the attached file what you were thinking of?

henry1
04-17-2013, 08:59 PM
hey bergerud can you help in the pattern I am trying to get sorry to bud in

SteveNelson46
04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
This is an extrude of your shape on .75" thick material. Anything deeper probably won't carve.

TurtleCove
04-17-2013, 10:46 PM
If you are trying to make a picture frame, you want sweep, not extrude. Is the attached file what you were thinking of?

So, with the 3D Suite, I can extrude, as well as sweep, correct?

Yes, this is what I was thinking of.
So, since I have tons of 2D images like this, to sweep them into picture frames should be quite easy it sounds, as long as I buy the 3D Suite. Yes?

TurtleCove
04-17-2013, 10:47 PM
This is an extrude of your shape on .75" thick material. Anything deeper probably won't carve.

Steve, that exactly what I was after. and 3/4" material is exactly what I was after, too.
I assume you did this using the 3D Suite?
Would you mind giving me the steps?
I have it, in demo mode, and want to see how easy/hard it is....

SteveNelson46
04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
I have a video of the steps. It's a little crude and doesn't have audio. PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.
In the Designer, draw a rectangle 12 inches high and 1.6 inches wide
Select "Extrude" from the tools menu
Draw your shape as if you were looking at the end of the board and select OK
With the rectangle still selected, select "Cut Path" from the tools menu

TurtleCove
04-18-2013, 07:40 PM
I think I got that part down, steve.
But, rather than draw the shape, on the end of the board, I want to use that profile that I imported...and that I attached early on, in this thread.
How do I use an imported 2D line profile?

SteveNelson46
04-18-2013, 10:50 PM
I brought up your original image, and used the connected lines tool to retrace over the your original. It took about 5 minutes. I think most of us here on the forum who responded to your original message did the same. I can send you a video if you PM me with your email address.

SteveNelson46
04-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Oops. My Bad. Attached is a trace of your original image scaled to 1.6 inches wide. Also a 2.5" thick at original size but, it won't carve

TurtleCove
04-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I brought up your original image, and used the connected lines tool to retrace over the your original. It took about 5 minutes. I think most of us here on the forum who responded to your original message did the same. I can send you a video if you PM me with your email address.

Ok, I get it, Steve. So you basically trace over that profile, and then when you go into the 3D vectoring, and click extrude, you paste that tracing onto the "edge" of the board (the image that comes up on the bottom of the page), and then it gets extruded. Is that about right?

SteveNelson46
04-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Here is a kink to the video
hthttps://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJebm9WN2JSZFUwbzg/edit?usp=sharingtps://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJed2MxUTdoQ1VUbEU/edit?usp=drive_web (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJebm9WN2JSZFUwbzg/edit?usp=sharingtps://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJed2MxUTdoQ1VUbEU/edit?usp=drive_web)

This link has audio, video and music. I had a lot of fun with Camtasia
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJeQXdSOG5TX2ZSZ1U/edit?usp=sharing

TurtleCove
04-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Just watched the video, my friend...thank you very much. Well done.