PDA

View Full Version : Surface Doming

Greg
02-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm trying to get the hang of surfaces and such in the software. If you look at the lion graphic in the software, it's smooth and domed. However, when I try to apply a dome effect to a graphic I do, it hollows it out instead of sloping the sides down towards the board.

Here is an example of the two graphics. And a copy of the original graphic I imported for the software.

Where have I gone wrong?

Charles M
02-08-2007, 01:56 PM
The reason is that the software uses the dark and light areas of the imported graphic to determine height. Look up "Height Map" on Wikipedia and you will get a good description of how this works. Your JPEG image would look good cut into plastic and back lit but it's a 2D image so there is no height data. Jon Jantz has a tutorial (do a search) which may help you understand how to make your images work the way you want.

Greybeard
02-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The problem lies in the original drawing.

In several places, the tail is an example, the darkest shade of grey is used for a shadow cast on the body. But the tail is higher than the body, so for Designer to interpret it correctly it should be lighter than the body.

Essentialy you need to identify what is the highest point in the carving and make that white. Then decide what the lowest point is and make that black. Then make intervening levels an appropriate grey.
A "doming" effect found at any intemediate level should only change across a narrow range of greys, otherwise you get the effect you have.
I hope that helps, because what you have identified is the fundamental problem in converting any pre-existing graphic into a greyscale suitable for Designer.

Regards
John

Greg
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. Essentially I'm going to need better graphics editing software, that can render 2D into 3D?

Anybody have suggestions on a software package for that?

HandTurnedMaple
02-08-2007, 03:00 PM
You need to understand the difference between 2D shading and 3D shading. On the leg it adds shading to create the illusion of light and depth. On a 3D carving that is unnecessary because there is actually light and depth. So that shading is working against you. Instead both sides of the leg need to transition from white to black evenly to create the raised shape.

Also 2D line drawings create object borders by drawing lines (thus the name I suppose). These black lines will dive to the bottom of the carving when cut, destroying the 3D look.

Charles M
02-08-2007, 03:44 PM
For a better idea of how a Height Map gray scale image should look to make a 3d carving check out this image:

http://carvewright.com/forum/download.php?id=1100

The one on the left is the carving and the one on the right is the required image.

Greg
02-08-2007, 04:03 PM
That image helped visualize better. What software was used to make it?