PDA

View Full Version : Raised panels help needed.

jaustin
04-14-2013, 07:50 PM
I think I finally stuck my foot in mouth, I told a customer I can build a gun rack with raise panels. But problem for me is that the panel is only 6" wide.

Is there any instructions on carving them? He is going to send me a picture of the walnut panels in his office so I will know if they are the curved type or a flat

Curved

Flat panel

anyone have any direction on carving the curved one?

RogerB
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
If the door panel is flat the center panel is 1/4 inch this will be plywood with a veiner .Curved my not be solid wood.You will have to make sure before you carve.If you are making new doors you can do a search there may be some patterns on the form .

jaustin
04-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Here is a picture of the panels I have to try and copy.

SteveNelson46
04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Maybe something like this?

jaustin
04-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Maybe something like this?

Yes Steve that looks like what I will be needing.

Sweep surface error when i open The file, what software will I need to be able to create this?

SteveNelson46
04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
John
I just drew a 6 by 10 rectangle and used the Sweep: Corner 3d tool. If you don’t have the 2D and 3D tools I’m not sure what kind of an error you will get.
If you give me the exact dimensions (height, depth, thickness, width of the raised portion, etc.) I can save it as a pattern for you. Edit: This is the profile I used

lawrence
04-14-2013, 09:47 PM
as an aside... raised panels are made for a reason (not one piece carved) in that the inner panel (traditionally solid wood) can move within the panel... allowing for seasonal movement.

If you create the whole thing out of one solid piece of wood and it is fixed in place you are likely to get splitting (though 6 x 10 is pretty small and you may get away with it)

Just thought I'd mention it...
Lawrence

SteveNelson46
04-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Your absolutely right but, if the panel is only 6" wide I don't think it will make much difference.

jaustin
04-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the offer.
it may take me a few days to get everything sketch up.

I build gun displays and rifle racks. The gentleman contacted me and gave me dimension approx 6 deep x30 wide x30 tall( i have to finalize the sizes.)

This is one of the rifle racks I built

He wanted the raised panels Figure with 6" it may be to narrow to build them properly. So I thought of the carvewright to make them.

If their would be a problem carving them splitting/ cracking then I will have to figure out away to build a traditional panel.

lawrence
04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Your absolutely right but, if the panel is only 6" wide I don't think it will make much difference.

I agree 100% - just making sure I pointed it out in case anyone else makes bigger ones

Lawrence

jaustin
04-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Steve I did use the first pattern you posted and played with the demo sweep.
Looks pretty cool, but the software price is a little expensive I need to go and look around and see what else can be done.

SteveNelson46
04-14-2013, 11:13 PM
John
There are several reasons that raised panels are used but, the main reason is to allow for seasonal expansion and contraction so the doors remain dimensionally stable and not so much for splitting and cracking.
I don’t need an exact drawing to scale to make the pattern for you. Just a sketch or even a written description will do just fine. This example only took me about 5 minutes so we are not talking about a lot of time. If you don’t like it or don’t think it will work out, just don’t use it. After all, it is free. PM me with the details.

jaustin
04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks Steve,
I have to layout the spaces for the rifle and then I will have the length I will need.