PDA

View Full Version : Buying? Reconsider from a disgruntled owner

reeniewhalen
04-14-2013, 06:22 AM
OK, i have to say the customer service is a lot to be reconsidered about.
Eight days ago my CW, being ONLY 2 months old, decided to break down. Not through my fault. When it comes to owning expensive

tools ($2,000 is a LOT of money to me), i treat them like my own kin, with respect.
Well, here we are nearly seven days later and it seems like LHR don't have ANY of this, buying their own sweet time to send out
the parts. The items are (1). X Termination Electronics Board, (2). Spindle Motor Assembly, AKA Cut Motor.
I was told over the phone the above parts were required but i was never expecting when i checked my account, a RECONDITIONED cut
motor! Come on guys, this machine is still a NEW machine and you're throwing at me a USED motor! So much for the warranty!
OK, So if you come to me and buy a brand new car and the engine fails a couple of months later, you will be happy for me to kit

it out with a reconditioned engine? I don't think so.

reeniewhalen
04-14-2013, 06:28 AM
BTW BBB will be informed too.

aokweld101
04-14-2013, 07:28 AM
being a new owner there is some considerations you have to think of, how many hours you have on it? I found out it its always the little things that will get u. I was upset at the machine to start with, after I learned how to maintain it. I bought another one cause I liked the first one so well. also I asked how many hours you have on it. The reason being the one year warrenty is for 200 hours running time I burned the warrenty up in the first week and half that I had the machine. I dealt with LHR with my machine and I feel they have done real well in helping me and getting my parts to me.my last comment is to check your brushes....

lawrence
04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
I think $2000 is a lot for most of us man- it stinks that you've been having a tough time and that you aren't satisfied with your experience and it certainly sounds as if your machine has more than its share of issues.

I would actually be happier with a recon cut motor as it probably has very low hours but has had more direct attention to make sure that it is right... "reconditioned" in this case probably does not mean "old and worn out" but probably "got sent back with a broken part and we fixed it and then bench tested the heck out of it" I think I'd rather the latter... it really is a little different as it is likely not a worn out motor that got reconned.

I'm assuming you've tried to solve these issues through LHR - I really encourage you to do so.

Lawrence

DickB
04-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm with Lawrence - if you haven't taken your concerns to LHR, you should start with that. If you want a new motor, ask for one. That said, did you read the warranty?

Pursuant to this Limited Warranty, LHR will, at its option, (i) repair the product using new or remanufactured parts; or, (ii)replace the product with a new or remanufactured product.

This is pretty common warranty language.

Digitalwoodshop
04-14-2013, 01:30 PM
This is the machine that snapped the tip off the flex shaft... It takes allot of torque to snap the flex, I wondered what you were cutting to do that. You mentioned a slot. This X Termination Failure with the burnt traces, Cut Motor Failure and broken Flex Shaft makes me wonder if you are being totally honest in what you were doing with the machine. Failures like this look like heavy cutting stress.... I don't think you ever mentioned the bit being used when the failures happened. I think you said 3/16th... But was it a End Mill bit with cutters on the bottom of the bit? The reason I ask is this failure could be caused by trying to do a plunge cut without the proper bit.

I am with Lawrence, a Re Conditioned Part is a Working Part...

LHR is the best place to address your frustration. Un likely your angry post will cause someone to not buy this machine.

I just don't think we are getting the whole story here.... I have looked over your posts of the past for clues.

I don't often do this..... but. My suggestion is to get the machine fixed and then sell it... Cut your losses. Looks like a industrial machine will better meet your needs.

AL

liquidguitars
04-14-2013, 01:45 PM
For the new buyer thinking about if owning a CW is a good idea I own three CW and curently make my instruments on them...
Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjAcIrURzk&feature=player_embedded

lynnfrwd
04-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Awesome video brandon. I love her facial expressions and giggles. Still amazes me how you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryT
04-14-2013, 02:15 PM
LOL, she is clearly happy with her new violin!

lawrence
04-14-2013, 03:57 PM
OP-

I hope you don't feel like you're getting ganged up on here- we hope you are able to resolve your problem and come to a good solution.

To any other folks considering buying a machine and reading this- just understand that at least in my case, I did many (many) very simple projects and became
very familiar with my machine over many months before I moved on to more elaborate carves (or for that matter, used different bits). The machine is not difficult
to damage due to operator error if you don't understand exactly what is going on and can predict what the machine is going to do (and what it should sound like when
it is operating properly) It really is important to crawl and then walk and then run.

This is not to say that there aren't non-operator caused issues... there have certainly been some problems with the machines and when there
are problems LHR's customer service record is, while improving greatly and very well intentioned, sometimes erratic/slower than ideal. Many of us (me included) have
gotten amazing customer support however, and I have confidence in their willingness and efforts to improve (as well as proof of how things have gotten better in the
last few years)

Again, I hope you are able to get back up and running and if there is anything we can do to assist please let us know-- we are here to help if we can.

Lawrence

badbert
04-14-2013, 04:26 PM
As a young man serving my apprenticeship at a Lincoln dealer. A friend of the family bought a new Lincoln. Within 4 months. The engine failed. Being a friend of the family, I got special permission to "rebuild" his engine. I hand filed compression rings and hand seated bearings. Not to mention measured and made sure that engine was to exact specs. The owner was upset with me because I had not replaced his engine with a new one. I assured him, that the one I built was better than new. And he reluctantly accepted it.That engine lasted him over 100,000 miles, and last I saw that car, he had given to his grandson to drive to college. The point is, if you get a "new" motor. You get whatever the chinese assemble and ship. A remanufactured motor. You get a motor that someone has taken the time to make sure the motor is "right".