PDA

View Full Version : Random Y and Z axis stalls

Geomoo1
04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I give up! I am thoroughly disgusted! For the last four hours I have been trying to do a simple, 30 min. max, 5x7 litho carve. The farthest I can get is about 78% before I get either a X or Y axis stall (0303). I have tried changing outlets with nothing else plugged into the ckt., cleaning (although I have a grounded DC that keeps everything very clean), checked the bit (1/16th carving and it's tight and clean). It has gotten to the point where the project won't even restart without failing. These Corian pieces are too damned expensive to waste. Can any one come up with a suggestion as to what the problem is?

gashawk
04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
I've had that problem alot lately. One bearing in each y and z trucks were sticking. A little molylube on each one and eventually broke them loose. Also there is a screw that holds the dust guard on the Flat
Flex Cable can be screwed in to far, will stop the z truck. There also a screw that holds a wire guard in the back of the z truck that worked loose that stopped y travel. Or just make sure they move freely.

Geomoo1
04-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, Karl. I will look at the screws and get some moly lube for the bearings. I have only had the machine for about 2 weeks and it only has 9 hrs. run time on it. You would think the bearings (or the whole machine) would last longer than 9 hrs. before needing attention. I ran the user tests and here are the results if anybody knows what it means. I sure don't....

X: A= 112.21 M= 166.61
Y: A= 70.65 M= 242.78
Z: A= 50.60 M= 117.73
cut motor runs during test

fwharris
04-12-2013, 06:28 PM
George,

Take a good look at they Y and Z rails to ensure non of the carving dust/chips are built on on them. They are not like wood in that they will stick on compress on the rails and bearing.

gregsolano
04-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I do a lot of corian and it will get in the white plastic gears on the trucks and cause these errors. blow them out with compressed air while you roll trucks to the left and right and up and down by hand. Turn off power and as you roll them feel for places where it sticks or holds up a little. lightly lube the rails as the corian dust makes everything very dry. After every corian carve I always blow out these areas including the bearings.

Geomoo1
04-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. So far I have thoroughly inspected, cleaned and dry lubed the rails and checked the belt gears for any obstructions. After lubing the Y rails I was sliding the truck back and forth and there was a very slight tick and catch at the same spot every time. I can't visually find anything that would cause this which leads me to suspect a bearing. The only thing is the catch and tick only happens at the one particular spot (about 1/3 of the way from the left on the Y rail) and if it is a bearing it seems this would occur with every complete revolution of the bearing. I will keep looking and let you know what I find. If anything. I sure hate having to tear into a brand new (less than 10 hrs.) machine.

Digitalwoodshop
04-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Try a NEW Bit.... The machine is designed to cut WOOD.... We cut Corian but WE are really pushing the limit...

The FEED RATE for the bit is set for WOOD.... Hence.... A Dull Bit and you get stalls....

I realize you have only been a member a short time... But Try a NEW Bit... It may be the answer...

And if you plan to do Corian often... Get a few BITS...

And the chips can cause the stall too like posted above...

If I were doing one.... I would insert the bit slightly LONGER and let it do the bit checks and right before it starts cutting, SHORTEN the bit by inserting it all the way... Cut project with the Shortened bit once.... It will be Shallow...

Load the project again and leave the bit so the 2nd time it cuts the normal depth.... Sure it is allot of work... But the machine feed rate is really TOO QUICK for Corian.

Just MY opinion.

AL

Geomoo1
04-16-2013, 11:11 PM
The problem has escalated. Now the machine won't do anything. I go through the set up process. Select my pattern and for about two seconds nothing happens then I get a Z axis stall error E06 0313. I talked to a tech and he suggested dismounting the Z motor and checking for any play. Did that. No problems that I could see. Everything turns real smooth with no wobble, no cogs missing, etc.. Reassembled and tried the user test. No joy in Muddville. The X test tried to run the first time but any subsequent attempts nothing would happen. Nothing would happen on any of the X, Y or Z tests. Is the Z motor bad or is it an internal machine circuit problem or .....????? I am certain it isn't an external electrical circuit problem. The outlets/circuits are almost brand new (just had them added to my shop last year when I had a new breaker panel installed) and the CW machine is the only thing plugged in to the circuit. I really like the machine, what little it has worked, but I have yet to do a complete carve without some kind of X, Y or Z Axis error and having to restart the project from day one. Now I can't even get started. I'm beginning to think I have an expensive boat anchor on my hands. I NEED SOME RELIEF!!!!!

chief2007
04-17-2013, 08:27 AM
If you haven't done so, reformat the memory card. Then try the user test again. Sometimes that will clear up the issue.

I once had the same kind of issue with the stalls, and it ended up being the MPC file itself. I had to rework every area in the project, but it clear the issue up. This may not be your problem, but might be worth looking at.
Also as Digitalwoodshop suggested ensure your bit are sharp.

SteveNelson46
04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
George
I had the same problem a while back. Called LHR tech support and they said it was the power supply. I was skeptical but, ordered one anyway. It solved the problem.

Digitalwoodshop
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I am thinking Power Supply too....

Boat Anchor... no.... :)

AL

gashawk
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
How does FFC (flat fexable cable) comeing from the z truck look? It can throw some odd ones...

CNC Carver
04-17-2013, 02:37 PM
George,

My guess is power supply. I had same issues with mine took power supply to TV repair man to have the cold and loose solder joints fixed. No issues after that. Better than getting a new one with the same issues. Al Who has some detailed pics posted here many times just search power supply.

Jeff

Geomoo1
04-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the educated guesses, Guys. Talked to tech again today and I just mailed the power supply, Y and Z motor with Z ribbon cable and card reader for testing. I did see a crimped spot on the ribbon that looked a little suspicious. It look as if something sharp and heavy was dropped on it. It wasn't cut but a delicate wire could easily have broken. The package will get there Fri. so hopefully I will know something within a week.

Geomoo1
04-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Boy! Do I need to pull my head out of my "Axis". :???: I left the Z motor ribbon cable out of the first box I mailed and I suspect that the crimped cable is the actual culprit in my problems. I barely made it to the post office just at closing time. (next to last customer)Had to ship it special D so as to get there by Friday with the other box. Oh well. It only cost me an extra six bucks. WHAT A DUMMY!!! :D

Digitalwoodshop
04-17-2013, 08:03 PM
If you can make the machine pay for itself.... Having a few spare parts on hand is always good.....

FSC Cable.... A few of them.... I consider them consumable... As they can flex only SO many times... Especially if a tight bend..... Will snap at the bend....

Board Sensor... At least one... and order the cable too... a 4 wire.. It can aid in testing the new one... Since the Board Sensor Signal goes through the FSC Cable....

X Gears and if you still use them.... Sand Paper Belts...

The trick in my opinion... Make the machine pay for the spare parts... Make Signs... and Clocks at a minimum...

AL

Geomoo1
04-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Al, once I get this puppy up and running to be able to make something to sell I plan on stocking up on some spare parts and bits. Thanks for the suggestions as to what to stock up on. As it stands now it seems all my spare cash is going into shipping parts back for testing. One good thing came from having the machine open and the Z motor out of the way. I was able to fix a slight tick (catch?) on the Y Axis I mentioned in an earlier post. While moving the Y truck from the keypad side to the right about half way across there was a catch that occurred at exactly the same spot. I couldn't find anything visually that would cause it so I figured it was probably a bearing. I turned the eccentric nut on the upper right Y truck bearing just a tweak counter clock-wise and, low and behold, the truck now slides free as a breeze. Call it beginners luck but it worked. I hope that's all it was. :D
I shudder to think that it will probably be over a week before I can get the machine back together and, hopefully, working. I'm not very good at waiting.