PDA

View Full Version : Anything I can do to improve this STL import?

Underdog
04-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm working on this sign project for a local guy, but the STL import keeps coming up thinner than I want.

Here's a comparison. I thickened up the lines in ArtCAM so they would be about 1/8" wide, then exported/imported a STL file to Project Designer. When the STL hits Project Designer, the lines are always much thinner than they are when in ARtCAM.

Anything I can do on the STL Importer side?

ArtCAM rendering:

Project Designer rendering:

spalted
04-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Are you scaling it with the importer, or do you have it designed the exact size you need in ArtCam?

My first thought was its getting scaled down somehow, but I'm just guessing.

Underdog
04-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I actually scaled it up in ArtCAM a tad (and inch or so taller) from what it was on my first attempts. It was at around 12 inches x 12 inches, and now it's around 13 x 13, and is imported the same size. I haven't scaled it down any as far as I know.

lawrence
04-11-2013, 10:41 PM
What is your bit optimization setting? I think if you play with "bit optimization" you will get the results you are looking for

Lawrence

Underdog
04-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Bit optimization when importing?

lawrence
04-12-2013, 08:02 AM
no, after it is a pattern... sounds like my theory may not be the answer...

Lawrence

TerryT
04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I think Lawrence may have it. You should do this anyway even if the pattern ends up needing more work. Bring the finished pattern into designer and put it on the virtual board. Then go to "Bit optimization" and select best. That will give you a more accurate view of the pattern. It may make the difference as Lawrence said. It looks like you may want to add some draft to it also.

bergerud
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
It would be easier for us to figure out what is going on if we knew the scale of it. Scale it way up in Designer. If it looks better, then it is a problem with the carving bit removing too much and bit optimization should fix. If it still looks the same, it must be an import problem.

Underdog
04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Here's the MPC file so you can see what size it is.

I'd upload the STL file, but I don't think the forum software sees it. If you want it PM me and I'll shoot you a copy of the STL as well.

Underdog
04-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Here's a test I did exporting a 1.00" OD circle with an .750" ID from ArtCAM.

I imported the circle STL into Project Designer, sized it back to 1.00" (it came into PD at 1.025" despite being imported at 1.004") centered it, then drew 1.00" and .750" circles, and centered both.

Now if you look, the imported STL doesn't look anywhere near the size it should be. Putting the bit optimization at "best" makes this STL almost disappear while the "none" setting makes it appear the most prominent.

???

Take a look and tell me what you think is going on with my STL import.

bjbethke
04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Here's the MPC file so you can see what size it is.

I'd upload the STL file, but I don't think the forum software sees it. If you want it PM me and I'll shoot you a copy of the STL as well.

You can get a better Quality by adjusting the Draft and Bit Optimization.