PDA

View Full Version : Will this machine be productive cutting simple signs?

ryanlabrecque
02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Hello,

I am considering purchasing the carvewright machine with the intention of churning out simple signs (12" x 36"). These signs will have simple lettering and maybe a small bit of artworkon one side (clipart type stuff). I have downloaded the software and it seems that it will do what I need it to with ease. I am wondering if anyone could give me a rough order of magnitude as to how long it will take to cut a simple sign. Is it 10 minutes, half hour, an hour, 2 hours??? Beyond this, does anyone know if the machine is small production capable, or is it more of a hooby machine intended to cut one off intricate designs. Finally, what kind of mileage can you get out of the lower sandpaper drives (# of hours between changes)? Where can you purchase the replacement sandpaper belts? Any feedback or examples of signs made with the machine (and the time it took for the machine to cut them) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Chipper
02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Check the Gallery and pattern sharing. There are many examples there.

Malfunction
02-09-2007, 04:25 AM
the sand paper belts can be purched by calling carvewrite. they are $9.99 each. they last a long time as long as you run the machine properly. every once in a while one of the belts may drift one way or the other a little bit, but it's really no big deal to get it retracked.

jspringertx
02-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I made three signs and they came out just fine. I used my daughters logo, converted it to a bitmap and it came out better than I expected. I forgot to set it for best quality and the normal quality was fine.

I also found that a wire brush that works on the Dremel hand tool is great for removing any fuzz in the letters.

The Bard
02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
9.99 for two.

tim1216
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
This sign took 3 h 48 min on best quality. it is 10"W x 36"L I have done signs that have greater detail that have taken quit a bit longer. It was carved in aspen. The time frame has a lot to do with the detail and size of the sign. I have made similar signs of the same size at a lower quality setting and they only took half the time. And the results are not far from the same.